• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI 29 Base Station

not if you talk fm, also many average operators have trouble running the hf rigs on am
I run my Kenwood TS-140S on FM sometimes, but I keep the rig at 4 watts output and use an external amplifier to do the heavy lifting. Running the Kenwood at even 30 or 40 watts FM overheats it really fast.
As far as AM goes, my Kenwood sounds horrible in that mode so I always default to my trusty old Cobra 148GTL side mic & Palomar amp for AM use.

I like the meter, the red channel display and white frequency counter actually works for me. The frequency counter draws my eye to it, letting me know what frequency the radio is on without looking at the channel display and band selector. The radio itself isn't bad looking, personally I'd prefer black face, black knows, and white print. I think the echo should be deleted, or replaced with the dual clarifier as mentioned earlier. It doesn't look like the old cobra 2000 I had years ago, nor any of the president bases that were always popular. It overall doesn't look all that bad. Hopefully it works as it should without driving issues, and sounds like a proper radio. As far as the cost, what was a brand new 2000, or uniden base selling for new? What would that price be adjusted for inflation to today's currency??

not if you talk fm, also many average operators have trouble running the hf rigs on am (at least in my area) and sounding understandable. I like my ft100d but my 2517 gets more use for local talking.
Maybe but honestly FM is cute on 11 meters but SSB is in my opinion still the most useful. If they want to run AM get a 29..:)

FM is cute on 11 meters
FM on 11 works better than you might think. I'm on SSB most of the time, but I do mess around on 26.805 FM from time to time and I have made contacts all over North America on there, as well as to Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Alaska and Ireland with just 150 watts into a vertical.....

Reactions: NZ8N and whiteastro
FM on 11 works better than you might think. I'm on SSB most of the time, but I do mess around on 26.805 FM from time to time and I have made contacts all over North America on there, as well as to Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Alaska and Ireland with just 150 watts into a vertical.....
Never said it didn't work, I have run FM on 10 many times. Its cute on 11 meters because its new and a lot of ops have never used it and know very little about it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.