• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI-2995DX CF 10/12 Meter Radio

Ranch55

Jan 18, 2016
Fredericksburg, Texas
I have a brand new Ranger RCI-2995DX CF 10/12 Meter Radio that I purchased this year and have had in operation for about 8 months.
Recently I purchased a pair of Kenwood HS-5 headphones to use with this radio.
The problem is that I get a fairly loud cooling fan hum noise through the headset from the cooling fans on the back of the radio. If I unplug the fans from power, the hum goes away.
I have put some ferrite bead chokes on the fan power wire, but it did not help.
Any help from members here would be appreciated.

So, why do you have the cooling fans on that model?

The fan for that type radio was a necessity for the pre-2006 versions that used the old, heavy power transformer. The rectifier bridge and regulator transistors were mounted on the rear heat sink along with the linear. It was too much heat for a heat sink that size, and a fan or two would prevent meltdown.

Your radio has a more-modern switchmode power supply. The voltage regulator is built into it. The heatsink on the rear now need only throw the heat form the linear alone. This is about half the heat load the older radio would pump into it. I would recommend you try using the radio normally with the fans unplugged. Reach back and see if the heat sink is getting hot enough to make you pull your hand away. If not, the fans are not needed.

Most folks won't get it hot enough to need those fans. IMHO they are a holdover from the old power supply, and will only be needed if you lock it down on transmit and walk away.

So, why do you have the cooling fans on that model?

The dual fans are what was supplied with the radio and was already mounted and connected when taken out of the box.
I have not tried using the radio on a daily basis without the fans running to see how warm the hear sink may get. But, I guess I can try it and find out.

Also try wrapping a ferrite choke around the headphone cable. Get one that you can make a few wraps through. Might help some. That and possibly one around the actual power cables for the radio. Again try to get as many wraps through the ferrite choke as you can. Or make sure the ferrite choke is tight on the cable. Again, might help. Hope you get it resolved. Also make sure you are using the right type of ferrite choke. The wrong mix and they won't do much.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated