• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger TR-296 opinions.. (148 GTL clone)

So instead of reverting it back to stock, they just repackaged it and sold it...?

SIGH...
That's the way it seemed. I think they might have damaged in more ways and UNIDEN refused to take it back. Look out for amazon sellers. If it seems to good to be true, it is.
I have not even checked the frequency yet.

I had a Anytone AT555N. It was a nice radio. I got a lot of compliments on it. I did not like the way the microphone plugged in the radio and the power was less that the AT6666. It also had a nice meter.

DSCI0268.JPG
The only real way you would know, is to buy it and open it up and look for L9 and what has been silkscreened onto the PLL chip.

If L9 has a 100 ohm resistor - you have a true Diamond in the Rough - meaning it can work well with a little TLC, or it can wind up burning down the table - reverting back to whence it came - a lump of coal...

If L9 is just that - L 9 nothing else and it (PLL) says RCI - 8719 -heed the date code. Anything with 06 or later was under the RCI blanket of radios and they sourced their own parts - like what they do now.

So if todays quality level is acceptable - that's fine, but you'll pay for issues if they crop up. (Silver solder is one due to the Pb - Free compliance stuff)

Earlier ones, you have to go thru Dynascan as for the parts are more than likely from them, than RCI.

Andy,
This is a "Made in the Malaysia" 148GTL I've got about $25.00 in (rich for me) but does power up and receive. Haven't tried transmit yet-but in due time.

As you can see from the pics, it does have the RCI/Ranger made 8719. Date code on the radio is "199508". I see L9 has a 10k ohm in what looks like the "R16" position and appears to be tied to one of the legs of L9. There is a 100ohm in what appears to be the "R66" position (but is a little further away and doesn't appear to be connected directly to L9 but is attached to the center leg of FT3)

Do I have a future "Lump of Coal" on my hands?
DSCI0269.JPG DSCI0267.JPG

73's
David

Robb,
That's good to hear. I only use sideband so stability does interest me. So this one may find itself as a back up rig.

My plans are to re-cap it, remove the "talkback" mod and blue meter LED and shelve it like the other 10 or 15 sitting around here. If there is a need to swap the resistor as Andy mentioned I will certainly do that as well. This one has had the final replaced at some point (but replaced with a Mitsubishi 1969) and TR28 has been replaced. Other than that, it's all stock. Kind of amazed since it is 23 years old this month.

For what I have in it and what I will have in it when it is done, I can't complain. Besides it gives me something to do and learn from.

73's
David

Robb,
That's good to hear. I only use sideband so stability does interest me. So this one may find itself as a back up rig.

My plans are to re-cap it, remove the "talkback" mod and blue meter LED and shelve it like the other 10 or 15 sitting around here. If there is a need to swap the resistor as Andy mentioned I will certainly do that as well. This one has had the final replaced at some point (but replaced with a Mitsubishi 1969) and TR28 has been replaced. Other than that, it's all stock. Kind of amazed since it is 23 years old this month.

For what I have in it and what I will have in it when it is done, I can't complain. Besides it gives me something to do and learn from.

73's
David
If you are going to use it on SSB (that will work out fine IMO); then also make sure that the AM Limiter is in there. Seen too many of them removed in these radios. Otherwise, it will sound like crap on SSB. Contrary to the belief of some, removing the limiter doesn't affect SSB. Not what I'd seen time and time again. Put it back in for best results.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Limiters are intact. VR11 cranked full bore. (Not for long!)

I don't even have a mike wired for it yet. A big turn off with the bright blue meter LED and Red channel display. Have to get that swapped out first before powering it up again. Not a fan of the blue LED's.

73's
David

I have a TR-296, I bought it NIB about 5 years ago. Very nice little radio. I use it mobile and as a base, but is currently packed away. I think Psycho got one from the same dude on eBay. Great little radio.

Reactions: Dmans
The Texas Ranger TR296 is a Malaysian made pre 1998 Cobra 148. I have two of them, and they are loud radios plus the stock mics are first rate!
I bought 2 of them on Ebay for $140 a piece brand new.
They have a freq counter plug on the back if you can find a Texas Ranger freq counter.....you are good to go.

Perhaps it is wise that you did,,,

Take a look at the latter versions of printing on the RCI-8719 chip -

RANGERRCI.jpg

That's just a sample of what is out there...

Note the "Ranger" logo and on your board - one is from 99' the other is from 97 - and your is VERY similar to the 97' year logo - I hope these aren't reprints or a repackage - they'll work but the R16 stuff? Hmmm...I think you're safe to look elsewhere.

This may have been a problem child and when it changes hands - a part of the history is lost, if not on purpose - so the buyer is even more unawares.

You don't buy a used car sight unseen - you need to protect yourself.

The "L9" on a true Malaysian board - 148GTL-F - would have been a ferrite bead, and a 100 ohm resistor IN L9 spot.

So these are (by indication alone in FONT used) reworks, using chips (re)sourced from whom knows where...

Fujitsu stopped making the 8719 in the mid-1990s, along with all their other analog and LSI CMOS stuff. They did a "last run" of all those parts, to supply customers who still relied on that part, and give them time to redesign their products.

RCI hired someone to build the RCI8719 clone chips. One of these is built to run from 5 Volts, not from 8 like the original.

And one of them is okay at 8 Volts. Just can't remember which is which.

Pretty sure there is a third clone version that says "RCI" on it, but I can't remember the suffix that indicates that batch of chips.

Not so different from the "RCI 145106" chips that RCI has made for them to use in the 10-meter (snicker) radios. Motorola was the sole source for that chip until they finally stopped making it. Not sure who sells them the RCI version.

Reactions: Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated