• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950 Gen 2 Memory Cap location ?

Spyder280

Apr 13, 2020
I have honestly tried to scour the forums on the 2950 gen 2 cap location. I believe the value is 1000uf is mentioned here. Is it located on the cpu board or the main board? Also it is a special capacitor type? Thank you !

I believe this is what it is you're looking for. A 1000uf electrolytic and is on the back of the CPU board, basically a general purpose cap. I try and use 105C as much possible although it may be overkill as 85C are about 185F.

2950_memory.jpg

Reactions: Spyder280
I believe this is what it is you're looking for. A 1000uf electrolytic and is on the back of the CPU board, basically a general purpose cap. I try and use 105C as much possible although it may be overkill as 85C are about 185F.

View attachment 64501
Thank you ! I was thinking this was it ! This was a new to me radio and was not retaining memory. It had a 100uF cap in it's place must've been a recap error. Replaced it with proper one and all is well now !!

Last edited:
Original value was 100uf.

Lame.

I don't know as there are a few variations of this orange display version that were made. The 2950 I just recapped had all the original caps in place and it was a 1000uf, 10V.
Most of the orange display 2950"s I have had were of the battery type, this one I just re-capped is the first I've had with the cap memory.
Not looking for an argument, just sayin what was in mine. The service manual I have doesn't show it, but it shows the R611 I believe it is, that can be changed out to stabilize the channel change or encoder operation. This 2950 with the cap memory doesn't have that resistor that I can see, which is also on the CPU board...on some.
These manufacturers change parts and values all the time so it's hard to say what's in em. They don't usually tell us unless a service bulletin comes out...which I haven't seen in a while like some of the older radios like Cobra and Realistic etc.

Thanks

cap.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Spyder280
I don't know as there are a few variations of this orange display version that were made. The 2950 I just recapped had all the original caps in place and it was a 1000uf, 10V.
Most of the orange display 2950"s I have had were of the battery type, this one I just re-capped is the first I've had with the cap memory.
Not looking for an argument, just sayin what was in mine. The service manual I have doesn't show it, but it shows the R611 I believe it is, that can be changed out to stabilize the channel change or encoder operation. This 2950 with the cap memory doesn't have that resistor that I can see, which is also on the CPU board...on some.
These manufacturers change parts and values all the time so it's hard to say what's in em. They don't usually tell us unless a service bulletin comes out...which I haven't seen in a while like some of the older radios like Cobra and Realistic etc.

Thanks

View attachment 64518
Not trying to stir a fight. I replaced the 100uf with a 1000uf as my post replay suggested and my memory was restored as it was. So a simple fix for me. great site that always has the answers. Thank you Smokinone.... I am about to do the same ! This cap is C4 on the CPU board that this thread is about

Reactions: Smokinone

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.