• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950 (non DX model)

coolhandluke

Oct 10, 2013
Lompoc CA.
just bought this recently..I'm noticing that when I key up the mic it makes a beep sound, same when I let off the key, is this normal (2950) and if so is there a way to disable it..
didn't see anything in the manual RE: it....thanks...

just bought this recently..I'm noticing that when I key up the mic it makes a beep sound, same when I let off the key, is this normal (2950) and if so is there a way to disable it..
didn't see anything in the manual RE: it....thanks...

Where is the beep heard? On the air or from the radio chassis itself? It may have a little beep that confirms activation and release of the PTT line. I had one of the original black models with the orange display and IIRC I seem to remember it doing the same thing but it was not a roger beep. It came from the speaker itself I think or a small piezo element inside and was sort of a cross between a beep and a chirp. That was a long time ago however and I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast. Oh wait.......I think I missed breakfast this morning come to think of it. :blink:

OK Robb... the roger beep function is not turned on..so basically
everyone hears a double roger beep...I'm not a big fan of roger beeps... to
each his own though....:)

Captain Kilowatt...I would say more of a chirp and yes out of the speaker
I use and extension speaker, so it's very noticeable.....But I would probably
have to go along with you that it's not omitting a roger beep over the air....
I just made a couple contacts to Baltimore MD. there not hearing it (roger beep)...so thanks for your expedited reply's and 73.....

I honestly cannot remember if I disabled it or not. I think I just left it that way as I did not have the radio very long before I sold it and bought the DX model. See if the sound actually does come from the speaker itself or from a different source inside the radio like a small piezo element.

pl1988371-small_piezo_electric_passive_transducer_9v_buzzer_element_80db_at_4khz.jpg

Captain Kilowatt...turned volume off, keyed up, let off....
the sound is coming from inside radio....also the sound is
identical to the mic buttons when you key to change
channels/frequency's.... Could you perhaps let me know
how to determine the series of this model...Back of it(2950) has serial#
and where it was manufactured... thanks...

There's a small piezo type speaker in there that makes the beeping sound you hear. You can snip one of the wires coming off that speaker to disable the beeps you hear. In a minute, I'll DL you a pic of what it looks like. It'll have red and black wires coming out of it.

IMG_20140513_150713_858_zps05184dcd.jpg

~Cheers~

ExitThirteen has the right pix of the piezo element that makes that noise. thanks. As for series of radios I am not sure. The original black case model with orange display originally had a battery inside to retain memory for the CPU while a later version did not. Later they went to the dual band DX model with the gray case and green display.

There's a small piezo type speaker in there that makes the beeping sound you hear. You can snip one of the wires coming off that speaker to disable the beeps you hear. In a minute, I'll DL you a pic of what it looks like. It'll have red and black wires coming out of it.

IMG_20140513_150713_858_zps05184dcd.jpg

~Cheers~
could you send me that pic also

It's shiny black plastic and round, about a half inch diameter, eighth of an inch thick with a tiny hole at the center of one side. A red and a black wire barely thicker than a hair connect it to the display/CPU board.

Typically stuck to the back of one chip with double-side tape.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.