• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950DX II

d1g1man

Feb 25, 2008
Ok, so I get the rig from copper and it works real nice except for one thing.

I get reverse or backwards modulation on AM.

The radio had the copper alignment thing done and I am wondering if that is the problem.

I have it hooked to an Astron 70 amp power supply, so I know it's getting plenty of juice.

It performs this way on any frequency, at any RF Power output level. (dummy load).

Is there something wrong with it? Or is just characteristic of a typical RCI-2950DX?

P.S. It beats the everliving snot out of the Magnum 257 I had.

Thanks!

One possibility to consider is your meter is screwy. If you trust your meter then see the following. I've not owned any of the Current generation but i'm sure they haven't changed that much.

Definitely not normal, what is minimum, and maximum carrier on the radio? Done properly the radio should be capable of forward swing even up to around 10 watts carrier. The ones I've had I always set minimum carrier about .5 watts, Maximum around 8 or 9, and always obtained a decent PEP output. I have no idea how copper is currently but I doubt they've improved, and that is probably your problem.

A suggestion would be take it to a reputable tech for clean-up. To bad, the radio probably did better out of the box.

I don't know a whole lot about these radios, or even how they are modified, but the guys over at the "RF Junkies" forum specialize in this particular arena of radio, they keep a running list of bad radio shops and tech's that have a rep for destroying otherwise good radios in the name of a few extra watts, and bandwith.

If you can't find the answer you are looking for here, or would like another opinion, I'd run it past those guys......

I've owned a few in the past too and never a problem with reverse swing. Maybe check it on another meter, or have a friend check it out on his gear.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.