• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950dx or Lincoln II v3/+ for first 10m??

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Got my General last summer. Just sold my CB.

I live up in Pocono PA at 1735' elevation, if that matters.

Which 10m should I get the 2950dx, Lincoln v3/+ (haven't heard much on the newer + model).??

I see pros/con's on both/all.

Looking to maybe dabble in CW soon as well.. This would be used as a base radio..

I got $250 to spend.

I currently have a KW TM-v71a for 2m/70cm.

K3ACZ

Last edited:

Used Kenwood TS590S if you can save up, Kenwood TS480, Yaesu FT450D, Yaesu FT757, Icom 7400 etc. Don't piss about getting 10m only sets when you can get a HF set for not much more. 10m sets are just CB sets with the accompanying piss poor performance and lack of functionality compared to an amateur HF set.

You've got General which gives you access to several HF bands far more filled with activity and DX than 10m which is pretty much done for for the next couple of years so get a radio that covers them. Make dipoles for your antennas.

Lincoln II (get the new + version so you get 10/11/12 meters)

More features than the RCI 2950DX and more power out of the box.

They are double to triple my range.

Looking at FT-891 which is $700..

I would need to sell the TMv71a also to get closer, which may be considered silly to do.

Just want opinions on 10m. Pondering HF full rig later in year. Just got married and expecting.

Used Kenwood TS590S if you can save up, Kenwood TS480, Yaesu FT450D, Yaesu FT757, Icom 7400 etc. Don't piss about getting 10m only sets when you can get a HF set for not much more. 10m sets are just CB sets with the accompanying piss poor performance and lack of functionality compared to an amateur HF set.

You've got General which gives you access to several HF bands far more filled with activity and DX than 10m which is pretty much done for for the next couple of years so get a radio that covers them. Make dipoles for your antennas.

Last edited:
It's okay. We understand you miss your CB ;)

There are a few used Lincolns on Craigs list within 50 miles of the Poconos.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/6064776907.html
https://cnj.craigslist.org/pts/6083878007.html

Also a few ham rigs that can do 11 meters also for around $450...like this Kenwood:

https://scranton.craigslist.org/ele/6014085924.html

Or an old boat anchor would be cool. Just be aware, some don't do AM mode and most Ham rigs only do about 25 watts max in AM mode anyway:

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/ele/6091691475.html

Last edited:
I'd go with what M0VGZ said if you don't own a HF radio already. All bands have or all nearing their low point with bands above 20 meters virtually dead for the next couple years. At least you can still get activity on 20 meters late in the day and 40 and 80 are decent. Other than occasional sporadic propagation, 10 meters is dead.

In the mean time you can continue to wait and save up for something much better than a Lincoln or 2950. The used market can find you some great radios.

Got my General last summer. Just sold my CB.

I live up in Pocono PA at 1735' elevation, if that matters.

Which 10m should I get the 2950dx, Lincoln v3/+ (haven't heard much on the newer + model).??

I see pros/con's on both/all.

Looking to maybe dabble in CW soon as well.. This would be used as a base radio..

I got $250 to spend.

I currently have a KW TM-v71a for 2m/70cm.

K3ACZ

Nothing experimental about the 2950..great reliable rig. If you can find a good 2510 buy it..getting hard to these days. Don't limit yourself by buying a HF rig since they only sound good on ssb.
I have purchased too many President Radios to remember, but something keeps from buying the Lincoln II. Maybe getting burned by the George POS.

Reactions: radioreddz
The Yaseu 450d will be a much better radio than the Alinco will and they don't cost much more. JMHO. I love my Icom 746, but heck even those are fetching top dollar on eBay lately. If you don't have a good 10 meter radio. Look into the Optima MK3. 10-12 meters and has a good filter for SSB use as well. Just some food for thought. Yeticom is where you might be able to still get an optima mk3. It sure if he sold out again or not. They aren't in production anymore, so what is left when it's gone it's gone!! Good radios though. JMHO. But we all have our own opinions. You'll have to be the one to choose in the end. If you have your General, why not just go HF radio and use the other bands that have propagation. Again l, just some food for thought. Like said, why dick around!! Have a good day

Reactions: fourstringburn
They are double to triple my range.

Looking at FT-891 which is $700..Just want opinions on 10m. Pondering HF full rig later in year. Just got married and expecting.

Understand, but,.............. consider adding about $150 and getting a new 857D or a used one in the $700 (or less) range

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.