• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970N4 Amp Switch ?

Use a mini ON/OFF switch .......
If I remember correctly, on a 2970N4, the wires are brown and black ......
Splice into the brown wire ......
Do you know if the wire colors for the 2970n3 are brown and black too. Would like to modify my RCI2970n3

This is certainly a handy option. Mine's a bit flaky with the Amp off switch. Thanks ya'll for what look to be simplicity in wiring; I'll find it handy as well. I've never seen 400W PEP on it; 350W is about as good as mine gets.
1668739546009.png
I'm not a rachet jaw so cooling fan really isn't much value. Regardless, having it's own stand and external speaker it's still a pricey eBay offering. It does make a handsome bench top presentation.

Does anyone know how the typical amp switch mod is done on the 2970N4 ? Its the non colorized model.
I bought a new in the box 2017 model and Bells has their card inside with the radios wattage as tested.
The person that I bought the radio from did not have the amp off switch mod done to it so it could be used with a low drive amp and for just barefoot talking local. I have searched the web for a couple of hours and coming up with a blank. Its a new radio thats never been turned on and i dont want to do the mod incorrectly. I see the Bells vids where they are installing a mini toggle switch that appears to not be switching very much current and it appears to work well for them. Any help on this specific model mod would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Don't make the mistake I did.
Sure enough, just one time when I decided to talk skip, I had forgotten to turn the switch off and I fed the external (driver) amp with a "bunch" of power. I damaged the radio and the driver amp.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Don't make the mistake I did.
Sure enough, just one time when I decided to talk skip, I had forgotten to turn the switch off and I fed the external (driver) amp with a "bunch" of power. I damaged the radio and the driver amp.

Your not the first this happened to, it only takes a second to forget......

Jeff

I damaged the radio and the driver amp.
When a customer asks for this option we ask "You want the suicide switch?".

Got in the habit of putting a LED in the headphone jack for folks who won't use headphones. Lights up when the amplifier is selected, goes dark for barefoot mode. Takes a 2-pole switch. One side for the amp key line, one for the LED.

Don't know how much it helps. Surely can't hurt. Where you would put this on a mobile is up to you. Don't think we've done that yet.

Reactions: NZ8N
I had a 1st gen 2970 (battery CPU) mid to late 90's, and reused one of the front button logic select lines, like R.Beep or some such, unsoldered the resistor that enables the R.Beep power switching transistor (R189 to Q36), ran a wire to the back where the Brown/Black wire header to the amp is on the main board, cut the trace that fed the brown wire from the TX, put a 2SA733 transistor with the Emitter going to the TX enable line, a 10k resistor from the Base to the wire from the R.Beep line up front, and Collector to the header pin that feeds the brown wire.
R.Beep on (display) = Amp on,
R.Beep off (no display) = "barefoot" or low power.

When a customer asks for this option we ask "You want the suicide switch?".

Got in the habit of putting a LED in the headphone jack for folks who won't use headphones. Lights up when the amplifier is selected, goes dark for barefoot mode. Takes a 2-pole switch. One side for the amp key line, one for the LED.

Don't know how much it helps. Surely can't hurt. Where you would put this on a mobile is up to you. Don't think we've done that yet.

Pop ustah say, "that's a damn pregnant idea"!

Reactions: len0272 and NZ8N
Can you see the mirror board at the top right in the first photo ?
Yellow wire and green wire running to a plug on the board just above the mirror board.
Generally, if you cut the green wire, and splice the on/off switch into that wire, it will turn off the power to engage the the small relay on the amplifier board.
The radio will operate normally on low power without the amplifier.
These photos are the inside of a Ranger RCI-2995DXCF, but the main PCB is the same as the 2970N4 .....

rci_2995dx_01.jpg

rci_2995dx_02.jpg
The photos have an x and i cant open them up to see the mod?

rci_2995dx_09.jpg

rci_2995dx_10.jpg

You are trying to view a 3 year old thread. The photos disappear when they were posted by the OP to a third party photo hosting site and then linked to WWDX from there. Most photo hosting sites only keep photos up for a limited time unless you pay them $$ !

Ranch 55 is still on the site so maybe he will see this and repost the pictures for you.........

Reactions: len0272
I did a 2970n2 a little while back but I don't have photos. Radio undressed, bottom up,face towards you, the plug to the left of the mirror board. It has two wires, black and blue, or black and brown.

Post a photo of yours and I can tell you exactly which one to put the switch on.

Reactions: len0272
I did a 2970n2 a little while back but I don't have photos. Radio undressed, bottom up,face towards you, the plug to the left of the mirror board. It has two wires, black and blue, or black and brown.

Post a photo of yours and I can tell you exactly which one to put the switch on.
Thanks. I am going to pop the cover off this weekend.

You are trying to view a 3 year old thread. The photos disappear when they were posted by the OP to a third party photo hosting site and then linked to WWDX from there. Most photo hosting sites only keep photos up for a limited time unless you pay them $$ !

Ranch 55 is still on the site so maybe he will see this and repost the pictures for you.........
I hope so. I would pay for the photos. Lots of you tube stuff but none wiring the switch

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.