• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2970N4 High Swr with perfect tuned antenna.

ALANFede

Feb 27, 2022
Good morning, I bought some day ago a new RCI-2970N4 but an issue about high swr when I connected to a perfect tuned antenna, that used with other radios in the shack without problems. If I check the 2970 with dummy load is perfect with no modulation, with modulation the swr jump to high. Other person like me have same problem?! Suggestion to solve? Thank You all. Federico

He's right. A defective dummy load would have a high SWR on carrier alone. So, seems logical the dummy load is okay. Never have seen a SWR meter that reads properly with modulation.

Pretty sure you're seeing a false reading this way.

Reactions: 999
Dears,
The dummy load is in tolerance. I'm thinking a not good tuning between the output of the final transistor and the input of amplifier section. I'm thinking that the radio section don't see a 50 ohm from input amplifier stage. I've other radios in the shack and no problem with the same antenna and same dummy load with high power. Probably a component or a coax issue in the radio. I hope to be clearer. Thanks

I'm using only an external swr meter with crossed needles. If I check the swr in SSB the swr value skip to the stars. I'm used to compare an RCI-2995 DX CF in the same conditions with no problem. Same pcb board, same RF transistors PA type, obviously fewer in number, the 2995 is less powerful.

Whups, thought you were using the radio's internal SWR indicator.

The cross-needle meter is harder to fool. This suggests the amplifier has become unstable, producing spurious frequencies not on the actual channel. A wattmeter or SWR meter that is presented with too many frequencies at once can do this.

First thing I would look for is loose ground screws on the circuit board, or for the tiny coax connectors inside the radio to have come partway loose.

Chasing down the cause of an unstable linear can be like a trip down Alice's rabbit hole.

Oh, yes! With no modulation into tuned antenna very high the needles are parallel! Into dummy load very good. But, I think that the dummy load quite the harmonics, with the antenna are reflected to the system...

yep i agree with Mike.

the dummy load doesn't care what frequencies your radio is spitting out, the antenna does.

if someone has been inside that radio turning cans and spreading coils then you're going to need a spectrum analyzer to get it back to normal.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.