• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2990 help :(

AkBowtie

May 21, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
www.kntalaska.com
rigs been working great, now al of the sudden tons of static over the speaker, even with the volume down, squelch up, rf gain down.
And when using the stock mic to channel up and down, when a button is pressed it makes all the icons on the display light up ??
Any ideas ?

Replaced the 2 resistors, the static is gone, this are normal EXCEPT lol, my freq counter lights are not lighting up, the meters and buttons light up. The dim button seems to just work as an off and on now.
I'll keep at it and see what happens.
Ohhh yeah, stock mic still makes al the icons light up on the LCD when i try to channel up or down.

Uh, okay.

Those burned resistors are used for the dimmer function. The CPU switches on a transistor, which in turn switches each resistor on, or off. More resistors switched in, more bulb current, brighter backlight.

Until someone replaces the display lamps with types that draw more current than the wimpy little original bulbs.

Now, the additional current draw will overheat those resistors. They are in series with the backlight lamps.

Once those resistors burn up, the immediate area of the circuit board around them will usually be damaged as well.

The board where they are mounted is a double-sided printed circuit. In every hole, there is a metal sleeve that connects the foil on one side of the hole to the foil on the opposite side. These are called "PTH" or "Plate-Through Holes". The tiny metal sleeve will usually come out of the board, still stuck to the lead wires of the burned resistors, when they are removed.

Losing the plate-through sleeve breaks part of the dimmer circuit, killing two or more of the "dim" steps

In addition, sometimes one or both of the transistors used to switch the resistors will also fail from the abuse.

Somebody really ought to put together a super-high-bright LED kit for those displays, to replace the original lamps. Once.

The original bulbs pulled only a fraction of the current that a normal "meter" lamp meant for a mobile radio's S-meter will pull.

But that's what people can get, so that's what gets installed in the LCD backlight when the factory lamps die.

If the display board is too damaged, you may be stuck with hooking new lamps directly to the main 13.8 Volt power, and kissing off the dimmer function. Depends on how much of the display board has been carbonized and crumbled away.

i know this thread is 5 years old but im about to repair the dimmer problem with the burnt out resistors and toasted board.ive already traced where my jumper wires attatch to bypass the burnt passthroughs.
BTW they only connect to the back side of the board(plug side) and the other side is just exposed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.