• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 99N2 - 300 Watts?

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Some of you are familiar Tech > D Rail in Georgia. I know of him personally and he does do very good work. Yesterday I watched a Youtube of his where he has added goodies to a 99N2 including being able to get 300 watts Bird out of them. Does anyone know how this is accomplished? Is it just adjustments or do parts have to be added or changed?
I have decided to make a buy on one of these and it's on the way. It is new and already modded & tuned and is coming with an 8ga. cord. I am mostly on SSB and will still use my main ham rig for SSB & FM. But I've been without a rig that is loud & clear on AM and with 10 meters opening up stronger and only getting better with the approaching cycle peak I've been wanting to get another AM Audio Monster. I do not overdrive or overmodulate my AM .... just want to be loud & clear. Also to use when chatting with my CB locals. When it arrives and after chekout, will do the 10KC Bump mod which is extremely easy on the X9 chassis. I shouldn't have to otherwise adjust much inside. I am guessing the main pots are all marked - and I can't find a list of adjustment points on the net anywhere.

300W and clean signal from this radio is an oxymoron.
No gain except more component stress, higher temperature and current consumption.
Mike
Well I dunno. Look at his video. D Rail doesn't do builds for his friends that are just going to blow up two days later. Not good for business. He knows what he's doing.

Ha! .... not that I know of. He of late specializes in modding pretty much any radio with the HiFi audio. D104's as well. Can make any radio sound like FM Broadcast quality.

I noticed the audio generator setting at 100mV PP at the 2:45 mark in the video.

I normally use 30mV.
Maybe if I used 100mV my 148GTL would output 300 watts?:unsure::ROFLMAO:

David

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I noticed the audio generator setting at 100mV PP at the 2:45 mark in the video.

I normally use 30mV.
Maybe if I used 100mV my 148GTL would output 300 watts?:unsure::ROFLMAO:

David
Does it make any difference how you inject the audio? The 300W is being shown on 2 power meters.

Last edited:
If you heard a D Rail tuned radio over the air .... you'd be a believer. And that's all that matters - What it sounds like over the air. There can be imperfections viewable on a scope that are undetectable by the ear over the air.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.