1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Rci2990 no display or lights only white noise

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by 2la547, Aug 3, 2019.

1. 2la547

2la547 New Member

I have an Rci2990 that was working perfectly. I moved it from one room to another room . Plugged it in and nothing on the face works . No lights on frequency counter , key pad , or meters . The frequency counter is also blank and it doesn't receive or transmit. Only white noise from the speaker .The tx light comes on when i power it up and the cooling fans are working . Ive checked voltage to the board and also even tested it with another power supply . Anyone has any ideas of where to start on testing . Thanks in advance

2. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

There was issues with displays on the older 2950 noted. And my new 2950CD had the same issue just out the blue it had no display but RX was working.. mine was repaired under warranty and turned out to be some caps..

Sorry I don't know more.

3. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

sounds to me like a (cold) solder joint opened up when you moved it.

Shadetree Mechanic and kaos513 like this.
  4. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

I would look around the edge of the main radio circuit board. There are 3-terminal voltage regulator chips that look like a final transistor on both sides of the board. The lead wires simply lap over the foil at the circuit board's edge. We see a lot of failures in this "lap" joint. A crack is usually but not always visible around the pin.

A radio that quit with no more shock than that has to be a mechanical issue.

Gotta hope so. The computer in that radio is famous for randomly taking a permanent bowel movement. Can't logically connect a brain-dead CPU to moving the radio from one perch to the next. Unless maybe a connector is loose on the display/CPU board. And a replacement for that computer is pure unobtanium.

Might check the power supply in the radio to make sure the voltage regulator has not "run away". If it's putting 20 Volts onto the radio's circuit boards, this is a very good way to blow out a CPU.

tecnicoloco and kaos513 like this.
  5. 2la547

2la547 New Member

Thanks for the info . I found a cold solder joint on IC6 and Q51 was on its way out . All fixed up and working again .

6. nomadradio

Rock on! Good to hear it wasn't some kind of tragic failure.

7. Unit 194

Unit 194 Well-Known Member

Why is it unobtanium?

8. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Unobtainable.. cant get it anymore

9. Unit 194

I understand the meaning of the word but since the manufacturer (RCI) is still in business why is it unobtainable?

10. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Haven't been able to get your hands on a CPU board for the old school rci 29xxs for years..

I have a Galaxy 2527 base. It has the old orange face 2950 board in it. It still works fine (knock on wood) but unless I can find a donor rig... in the words of Ivan Drago.. "If he dies he dies"

Unit 194 likes this.
  11. Unit 194

So I guess if my RCI 2990 DX or my Galaxy DX2527 takes a dump I will be shit out of luck in finding a replacement board.

Does the General Stonewall Jackson use the same board?

12. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

Well there can be made but will cost u

13. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Unsure on the stonewall??
    I used to have a couple old orange face 2950's and a 2970.. I sold them a few years back.. kinda wish I would have held on to em.

Unit 194 likes this.
  14. Chevboy0167

Chevboy0167 Well-Known Member

I still have my 2nd gen 2950 I bought new when I was 15. ...factory defects and all. Hmmmm...I probably should re-cap and remove any corrosive glue bunnies inside her.... ahhhh....I get to it some day!

15. nomadradio

Stonewall Jackson is a Galaxy Saturn with an amplifier.

EPT3600 board. Last digits probably "-14" or even "-15" if it was made since about 2006 or so.

Unit 194 likes this.