• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RD104E - a dud

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
I mentioned in the 575 thread that I went on a bit of a mic buying spree. I’m already pretty happy with what I’ve been running but still wanted to play.

Among the mics I bought...a RD104E. From eBay, but in factory packaging. Looks brand new?

Anyway, taking it apart I noticed right away it felt CHEAP.

Next thing, the PTT button barely reaches the switch. When assembled, the button is barely proud of the case? Not sure if it’s the wrong button, or if there’s another piece supposed to go in there.

Anyway, I installed the battery and the lame PTT button, plugged it in to see if it worked...it did, at least according to the radio’s internal meter. No bother, I move onto the next.

About five minutes later I picked up ‘ol red to move it...and it’s smoking hot. Of course I yanked it apart quick to pop the battery out, and do a quick check to make sure I hadn’t pinched a power lead. All fine. Must be a short on the board.

Disappointing, but I didn’t have high hopes for it anyway.

Anyone else run into issues with these?

The only problem I have had from mine was a noisy PTT switch that happened within about the first month i used it, I took it back to Clay's CB shop and he lubricated the switch and it has been problem free since then. It is probably the most natural sounding microphone I use. I only use it with my old Uniden (president) Grant. I have been using it now off and on for over a couple of years.

The only problem I have had from mine was a noisy PTT switch that happened within about the first month i used it, I took it back to Clay's CB shop and he lubricated the switch and it has been problem free since then. It is probably the most natural sounding microphone I use. I only use it with my old Uniden (president) Grant. I have been using it now off and on for over a couple of years.

I may have just got a dud. Something weird feeling talking it apart...I really “feels” like a knockoff.

How’s the PTT on yours?

Mine sits less than 1/8 proud of the housing, with lots of unused slack.

Reactions: 357magnum
Here’s a couple photos to show what I mean with the PTT slack. About 3/16 before it touches the switch.

I put the battery back in and reassembled. Doesn’t seem to be getting hot now, but may have already smoked the battery, but not sure.

Seems that it takes about 50% on the volume to equal a stock mic.

242ACE7A-A5DF-4F24-A910-E27566D777B3.jpeg B45A8710-F956-493B-B2AC-092F2BEF3EE9.jpeg

i recently bought a new one from the shop in south Florida and it feels and looks like a big unpolished dud. I haven't used it and most likely will give it away

oh and the PTT switch has as much slack as you described and red color has black peeping through

If nobody can I will post some pics of mine, but it won't be until Monday when I can do so. The microphone is in my work truck

Maybe someone will post before then, but if not...please share what you can. I’d be happy to see the switch arrangement!

i recently bought a new one from the shop in south Florida and it feels and looks like a big unpolished dud. I haven't used it and most likely will give it away

oh and the PTT switch has as much slack as you described and red color has black peeping through

I’m glad I’m not the only one to see this issue. There’s clearly something wrong on my PTT.

i still have one I bought in the late 90s thereabouts and never liked it , sound anyway.
i always liked the M6B or a road king.
from what I'm reading and being told they are all junk nowadays

if i get around to it I'll open it up and snap a few pictures and post them up here.
from the moment I opened the box and felt the switch and looked at it I said "JUNK" and boxed it back up and it's still there forgotten about

Cat , Yup you are right about that ! (y) Dan , sorry about that Grab Bag of mic's you have ( just kidding ) maybe it got damaged when you shook the bag & that one fell out ? :whistle::LOL: Like said all in jest ! I hate buying new mic's !

Reactions: S&W357 and 2NC995
Cat , Yup you are right about that ! (y) Dan , sorry about that Grab Bag of mic's you have ( just kidding ) maybe it got damaged when you shook the bag & that one fell out ? :whistle::LOL: Like said all in jest ! I hate buying new mic's !

Lol. I connected it to my Lincoln with an adaptor and it seems to be working now (but the button is still pretty crappy). I’ve only listened through the talkback...but it seems to sound very tinny.

Will plan to test some the N.C. mics soon. So far...I really like the feel of the SRA198. I realize it’s a big weight giving the impression of something substantial, but still feels well made.

I’ve had the Red Devil ten years or more. Re-assembly can bring the problems you note. Thus I’ve had to be careful in use.

That said, as I don’t like the mic shape I haven’t used it much. But reports have been that it sounds good. I stopped at RAYS CB In West Memphis and we worked out what seemed to be the best adjustment position on a couple of radios.

It’s always in the bag, ready to travel. Likely the first one I’ll dig out to replace the 980 stock mic this two-week trip.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated