• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RD104E - a dud

Mechanically the PTT in this one is ok but it has the same scratchy key and un-key audio issues as many others have reported. The PTT switch is of very low quality IMO. Repeated cleanings and lubes don't make much difference. Have considered replacing/reworking the switch but frankly I don't think the audio out of this mic is worth the time and effort. It sounds ok through the Ranger boarded radios I have but nowhere near as good as the stock (condenser) mic does on my main rig. Likely to become experimentation fodder before long.

I also have a 636L that's been heavily used for 8-9 years with zero issues. The difference in build quality between the two is night and day. The RD104E is Astatic in name only.20201217_100456[1].jpg

Mechanically the PTT in this one is ok but it has the same scratchy key and un-key audio issues as many others have reported. The PTT switch is of very low quality IMO. Repeated cleanings and lubes don't make much difference. Have considered replacing/reworking the switch but frankly I don't think the audio out of this mic is worth the time and effort. It sounds ok through the Ranger boarded radios I have but nowhere near as good as the stock (condenser) mic does on my main rig. Likely to become experimentation fodder before long.

I also have a 636L that's been heavily used for 8-9 years with zero issues. The difference in build quality between the two is night and day. The RD104E is Astatic in name only.View attachment 42073

I also am quite happy with a 636L I’ve had 6-7 years.

Sucks that people are having issues with the PTT because the RD is just an awesome microphone. Only thing I've been using for 5+ years now on all of my mobile radios. It matches up awesome with the newer radios. Sounds like the manufacturer needs to address this problem ASAP. I'm tempted to buy one of the newer ones just so I can experience the issue first hand and give the manufacturer some feedback.

Yes the build quality is lacking, but with replacing that terrible switch it becomes a pretty good mic. We spend hours reworking a brand new Ranger built radio anymore, what's a switch replacement compared to that....

Yeah we shouldn't have to do that with something new on either a radio or microphone but these days it's just the card that's been dealt so we have to play on it.

I think they went with a cheaper element now. The new ones i bought a year ago sounded good. A nice broad semi flat frequency response. The new one i bought 2 weeks ago sounds like crap. Its tinny, it has tons of sibilence and plosives,, even with a pop filter in it. Pshh, astatic. They should be ashamed of what their mics have become. Soon the old rd's will be selling for $150 like the m6. o_O

Bump

A few years ago I happened to buy left over parts boxes from a closed down cb shop in Amarillo (cb depot). Going through them the other day I found a rd104 pcb with both ptt and slider switches on the board. Everything but the element in the box brand new, I even broke the tape on the box. I'm going to try and swap it out into a newer road devil and see if it drops into place. All the components look far more robust than what's in these new ones so I expect it will make it a better mic. I'll report back with the findings.

Here's a comparison on the current production board and the new old stock. They at first look very similar but upon holding them it's obvious the older pcb is of thicker board. All the capacitors from electrolytic to ceramic are of a beefier size, the ptt switch is the good o'l one and the slider is obviously different as well. Another thing that doesn't matter a lot is the 9 volt battery connector, it's a solid plastic piece, not that soft vinyl we're used to seeing these days.

The swap went well with the just slider being a little tedious. The slider had to be unsoldered in order to get it aligned correctly for the cutout. Once aligned then reflowed it and voila. I started running out of time so didn't get more pictures after installation but will do that soon.

All put together with battery installed it sounds good on the mic tester, not sure if it's a whole lot different but it sounds good. The ptt switch feels good and smooth, and the slider moves smoothly as well. I'll do more testing and on the air tests with results posted here soon.

Why take the time to do this? Well it's something enjoyable, to share here, and because why not.

Just maybe there might be more of these boards in those boxes.

Attachments

• 20210727_180754.jpg
    20210727_180754.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210727_180813.jpg
    20210727_180813.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210727_180148.jpg
    20210727_180148.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210727_211434.jpg
    20210727_211434.jpg