• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RD104E - a dud

I will have a brand new Road Devil I just ordered in a couple days for testing. I just use 11 meter for now, so I have been testing various microphones doing line recordings from my RCI 2980 base station to my desktop computer. Using the free to use Audacity audio software.

The surprising winner so far for modulation and sound clarity has been Workman SuperStar DM507-4...a $10 microphone. The mic cord is not top of the line, but what ever mic element that is inside of it is top notch.

Tested a new D-104 hand mic, and the modulation was good, but the sound was tinny and raspy...not natural sounding.

Ranger SRA-158 hand mic was good and clear...natural sounding. The modulation was the worst of the bunch.

Old Cobra coffin shaped mic that was basically new was way too boomy--too much bass--sounding, but it had good modulation. Printed on the back of the Cobra microphone was 600 ohms which is what the stock microphone for the 2980 was rated at.

Riverman, the above is the REAL problem. I stopped in a DTB Radio today and — since he apparently can’t crimp or solder — left without a custom co-phase harness. (I was a bit irked after waiting. Then ignored awhile for a yahoo on the radio wanting info. That said, he was fast and efficient with his other customers. Said he didn’t keep supplies to do it. Today just WAS NOT my day).

But — of course — after reading the linked post this morning, I had to buy the 507 mike hanging on the wall before I left.

Last edited:
Sadly, I’ll likely never earn that distinction because every time I begin to stockpile unused goodies, I sell them dirt cheap under the guise of acts of kindness because of my OCD. :(

Sir, the solace of the confessional is that instead of the recital of (5) Hail, Mary. you are to GIVE these away. Relatives and friends to start.
Attach a radio, first.

That’ll tighten up the cinch strap.

Received mine today. My PTT does have the annoying slack in it. :( However, upon inspection, it is making good solid contact when pushed and should be a good, long while before any failure.

To remedy the sloppiness, I went a different route and inserted a small, felt pad between the PTT button and the case at the pivot point. Presto! Problem solved. (y)

IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg

Received mine today. My PTT does have the annoying slack in it. :( However, upon inspection, it is making good solid contact when pushed and should be a good, long while before any failure.

To remedy the sloppiness, I went a different route and inserted a small, felt pad between the PTT button and the case at the pivot point. Presto! Problem solved. (y)

View attachment 34698
View attachment 34699

Got mine today too. Did some line recordings to hear how it was going to sound on the radio. It sounds very good, and the modulation is top notch too. Had mine set at the L on the microphone.

Mine has the PTT switch rattle because of the gap between the switch plunger and the PTT. Going to do the mod you posted, and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Got mine today too. Did some line recordings to hear how it was going to sound on the radio. It sounds very good, and the modulation is top notch too. Had mine set at the L on the microphone.

Mine has the PTT switch rattle because of the gap between the switch plunger and the PTT. Going to do the mod you posted, and see how it goes.

Cool. Happy to hear it sounds good. (y)

No help with the rattle sound coming from the PTT button. It's a shame they can't get it right because the sound clarity and modulation is spot on for me plus the noise canceling.

I have a 30 day money back satisfaction, so I will use it lots between now and then.

There is a sticker on the inside that indicates date of manufacture. Mine was circled 9/19, so about five months ago it was made.

Hey Slow, can you get a screwdriver and take the 507 apart? Snap some pictures? Especially the mic element?

I have an idea! ;)

This is the, sitting and waiting on the Lake Erie horizontal snow & 55-mph crosswind report, picture.

(Tell me what you want as better).

If the post-midnight weather report doesn’t clear some, I’ll have to add a 100-mile detour from Syracuse. But that’s a problem.

Trucks I drive can’t get past Strattanville, PA, without pulling off IH80 into the parking lot at BOB’S CB SHOP.

A no-pay delay and then a higher, uh, “unreimbursed driver expenditure cost”.
BE30A898-4112-4547-BDB6-8FA47E54E00A.jpeg

Reactions: Redbeard U812
This is the, sitting and waiting on the Lake Erie horizontal snow & 55-mph crosswind report, picture.

(Tell me what you want as better).

If the post-midnight weather report doesn’t clear some, I’ll have to add a 100-mile detour from Syracuse. But that’s a problem.

Trucks I drive can’t get past Strattanville, PA, without pulling off IH80 into the parking lot at BOB’S CB SHOP.

A no-pay delay and then a higher, uh, “unreimbursed driver expenditure cost”.
View attachment 34705
Thanks for the pic. Have a D104 head will be putting a different element into. That might just work. Now to figure out the proper resistor in the amp board at base. For a ten dollar mic, I can use the element and a resistor I already have.

Sorry about your location and weather. I've seen Lake Erie frozen before. We are in the 60's down here in Texas, 30's tonight. Don't spend to much at Bob's.;)

Reactions: Slowmover
No help with the rattle sound coming from the PTT button. It's a shame they can't get it right because the sound clarity and modulation is spot on for me plus the noise canceling.

I have a 30 day money back satisfaction, so I will use it lots between now and then.

There is a sticker on the inside that indicates date of manufacture. Mine was circled 9/19, so about five months ago it was made.

My mistake was ever getting rid of my RF Limited CR577 a few years ago. :(
I loved that mic.

Reactions: Slowmover
Barely made it out of Syracuse and past Buffalo down the shoreline with a near empty trailer (ban on empties). Stayed JUST ahead of the blizzard.
5.5-hrs to travel 225-miles (normal average that road would be 3.75).

But I safely made it, so WITHOUT a stop at Bobs, I can pay the bills this month. Had a long conversation with another driver about radio. We backed into it. Apparently his Dad quite the amateur. Others paid the boys $2500 for gear after he passed. Then others close to another $1k for tower & quad. He regretted not learning, then. I told him he absorbed more by osmosis than he realizes. Hope to run into him again.

13F this morning outside Ft Wayne on US-24.
Fair number of locals on AM-19 around the clock.
One very good sounding base station.

Maybe THIS weekend I’ll muster the energy to get those FT240 toroids installed.

THEN I can play with mikes some more.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.