• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RD16HHF1 MOSFET Final.

Shockwave

Sep 19, 2009
Contrary to popular belief, when Mitsubishi discontinued common radio RF output transistors like the 2SC2166, 2SC1969 and 2SC2312, they did not leave any void in the replacement market. Radio manufacturers were in no way limited to the inferior power supply switching transistors they all use today, like the 13N10. Mitsubishi specifically designed newer, upgraded linear RF MOSFET's to replace them. The RD06HHF1 was the perfect MOSFET replacement for the driver stages and the RD16HHF1 would have been great either as a single, or dual final.

While the RD16HHF1 is conservatively rated at 16 watts output and the 2SC2312 was 17 watts, take a look at the dissipation ratings for these parts in their datasheets. The RD16HHF1 has more than twice the available dissipation at 56.8 watts. The next time your tech offers to replace a final with a new MOSFET, ask for the RD16HHF1. The first manufacturer to advertise a decent dual final radio with these parts, will be the first one to produce something worth buying again.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I really think this is the part that Mitsubishi thought would take the place of the 1969 and 2312. That's what it's engineered to do.

It's price is the problem IMHO. What manufacturer will use a six- or seven-dollar part when they can get IRF520 and FQP13n10 transistors for a quarter?

So far, not many.

Reactions: Shockwave
That's because they have locked onto the only market that will let them get away with selling them crap. I can't imagine that a single radio buyer would hesitate for a moment, to pay an extra $5.75 to receive a final output stage, that was designed for the application.

When will manufacturers figure out that if they use this part and specifically advertise their advantage, this small added cost would come back 10 fold and force the others to compete, or simply get left behind? I know there are not many left, but there is time for one to take the clear lead.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.