• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

recieve noise

fasteddie

Jul 20, 2009
upstate ny
Got a cheap radioshack radio in the house (mobile hooked up to a power inverter). have an solarcon a99 hooked up to it around 10 feat over the crest of the roof shingled roof not metal if it matters. swr is around 1.3 to 1 ar so depends on the day but does not move much. problem is i am getting terrible amounts af noise out of it, and meter is almost pegged out. if i go out and check my mobile the neadle is flat no noise. what is going on here? i have tried grounding and ungrounding the antenna mast and it makes no difference. I talke to people around the area with it all the time and they say audio is good. theradio is stock power with no helper on it. pleas help could it be the power inverter making the noise it is a radioshack 3amp power source?:bdh:

try your other mobile radio in the house and see if its just the radio . sometimes my uniden 78xl will have horrible noise in the house , i put the grant in and noise is gone and i can hear folks much much better .

try your other mobile radio in the house and see if its just the radio . sometimes my uniden 78xl will have horrible noise in the house , i put the grant in and noise is gone and i can hear folks much much better .

I would tend to agree. Cheap radio = cheap performance. Throw the Radio Scrap rig out in the yard for the dogs to play with and....no...WAIT !!!! Radio Scrap radios are chock full of all sorts of inferior and toxic materials. You wouldn't want to do that to your dogs. Just throw it away and get a better radio. You should be fine.

easiest way to tell if its your power supply that is the problem is to disconnect the antenna coax from the back of the radio.
is the noise still there?
if it is, then the noise is coming in through the power wires.
if the noise goes away when you disconnect the antenna, then it is being radiated and picked up by the antenna.

do try to switch radios, as this will tell you if its the radio that is at fault.

there is also a good chance that this noise is being created by something in your house, in your neighbors' house, or from a powerline transformer or something like that.

here is a VERY long discussion about noise and how hard it can be to eliminate.
read the WHOLE thing before you spend any money.
the good news is that after all his effort, this person actually did get rid of the noise eventually.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-...hannels-row-every-4th-channel-clear-bell.html

good luck with it,
LC

easiest way to tell if its your power supply that is the problem is to disconnect the antenna coax from the back of the radio.
if the noise goes away when you disconnect the antenna, then it is being radiated and picked up by the antenna.

do try to switch radios, as this will tell you if its the radio that is at fault.

there is also a good chance that this noise is being created by something in your house, in your neighbors' house, or from a powerline transformer or something like that.

the good news is that after all his effort, this person actually did get rid of the noise eventually.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-...hannels-row-every-4th-channel-clear-bell.html

good luck with it,
LC

I have tried this one my mobile and removing the antenna can be deceiving as my noise went away.. Try a filter between that powersupply and radio...Sometimes cheap powersupplies can put out dirty power as I call it, and make cheap radios act up.. Maybe a radioshack thing too. Is it stock, or clipped and peeked? My TRC mobile when clipped gets all kinda of interference and buzzing...

simbalage, the only thing that test is meant to tell you is if the noise coming into your CB radio is being picked up by the antenna or if it is coming in from the power wires.

you removed your antenna connector and the noise went away.
that means that it wasnt coming in over the power wires and was being picked up by the antenna.
LC

simbalage, the only thing that test is meant to tell you is if the noise coming into your CB radio is being picked up by the antenna or if it is coming in from the power wires.

you removed your antenna connector and the noise went away.
that means that it wasnt coming in over the power wires and was being picked up by the antenna.
LC

No that was my point... Turned out to be the power... and a filter fixed it.. It was to say the least that this method can be wrong sometimes...

Might also try the base antenna connected to the mobile radio if you can get close enough to connect.

good luck with it,
LC

i agree. if possible try another power supply or marine battery.if none of this helps then maybe the nb/anl circuts in radio just arent good enough to filter out unwanted noise

now i remember the thread you are referring to.

yes, it was the power supply that was causing the interference, but it wasnt getting into the radio from the power wires.
the power supply was emitting a signal that was being picked up by your radio's antenna.
am i right about that or am i confused? (its been known to happen :unsure:)
LC

i got back to my radio the other day finaly found some time ihooked a brand new car battery to it and their was no change so i hooked the power supplly back up to it. this was abought a weak and a half ago. Strangly abought a weak ago we turrned the radio one and there was only abought a decible of noise on it and it has been fine sence i do not know what the deal is??????????? we have done nothing to anything in the house to change it :confused::confused::confused:

try wiggling the coax connectors around and see if that changes anything.

it could be anything in your neighborhood, not necessarily something in your house.
LC

i tried wiggling the coax conection and nothing happens we are still getting a clean signal for now so all is good for now. I am starting to thinnk it is something in the neighborhood. we live in the country though so their wouldn't be to much that would interfear with use i wouldent think nearest house is 500 yards down the road. radio is stock and unmodified no amp just 4 watt radio and solarcon a99 antena with brandnew belden cable i swear by that cable i run it on all my setups took out the small cable out of my mobile and putt the fat tri shield and what a difference.

Could be power line interference, this can be intermittent and tough to find. Some receivers are more immune than others. You may have to resort to contacting your power company if it proves to be the source.
That is where the fun begins, to find the source! But the power company usually has a trouble shooter and they have good equipment to find noise sources. Here is a link for more information....

Power line interference causes thet affect Amateur Radio

73 mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.