• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Regarding antennas, what does counterpoise mean?

Well, now, Marconi, at least you are starting to refer to the counterpoise within the limits of the original historical context.
It is indeed a worthwhile tangent for discussion with respect to whether it can be reliable in use as it was supposed to be. Whether or not, it won't change what a true counterpoise is.
I will have to read the materials thoroughly to properly comment, but I venture to say that the value of the counterpoise is suppose to be most appreciated over poor soil than over good. My soil is poor.
When I am able I will try to test the idea in my backyard. I just am not sure whether I have enough room to put it together out there.

Homer, I have learned something new in this discussion for sure. But regardless of whether or not the RF engineers got some of the science wrong back then, I would think that Broadcast engineers could still calculate and measure the advantage of the counterpoise over their ideas even back then vs. using grounded or buried radials.

I agree that based on my models the counterpoise certainly looks to offer an advantage in some situations, and like you say...maybe that has more to do with soil conditions. I didn't try changing the soil in my models, I just used the average soil.

As I mentioned to DB, since that time the counterpoise idea has all but disappeared from discussion and maybe use. So, we should try and find out what replaced the idea, and why that might have happened.

Last edited:
I don't have the understanding of capacitance to discuss the issue. I just reported that the guy's doing the 1979 testing in North Carolina discounted the claim, and that prior to that point the science was claiming that the counterpoise worked like a large capacitor.

These guy's report also seemed to draw this conclusion based on the fact that their test results showed the resistance in the Earth around the base of the antenna was not...as evenly distributed (homogeneous) as the prior 60 years of RF science had suggested.

IMO, claims on both sides of the issues above would depend on the facts, so you could be right DB.

What I used to visualize was a large capacitor made up of a screen of wires and the earth below as the plates.

After reading this article I now see the counterpoise doing two separate jobs at the same time. One, they act partly like elevated radials (that is radials above where capacitance of the earth would effect them) and two, I now visualize is each wire, and even different parts of each wire acting as a separate capacitor with the earth below it. Each capacitor is variable and what the variable setting is set to depends on the conductivity of the earth below. All of these are run in parallel, effectively adding up to a single large capacitor.

I would imagine that using this image, the wires (or parts thereof) that are above the more conductive earth would have more of an effect on the radiation pattern of the antenna than the parts of wires that are not.

It is possible that I am wrong here, I am simply using what I know and am applying it to what I have read in this article.

I can't deny that my models show the counterpoise idea producing a little better gain compared to the traditional raised radial setup when both are low and at the same height above Earth. I also think this report also indicated the counterpoise could in some cases produce better results, and they explained why as well.

So, I don't think this report is suggesting the counterpoise is of no benefit, just that some of the ideas on how it worked were surprising and different from what had been indicated over the prior 60 years.

For me, knowing that the counterpoise can work well in some situations is far more important than knowing precisely how it works.

I can both agree and disagree with this statement. That being said I tend to favor learning why something works. To know that something works is one thing, but knowing why and how it works can help you fix it if there are issues, and potentially improve on the design.

I did model my 1/4 wave at 1.85 mhz with 160 radials at 15' above ground, and it too is not able to equal the gain of the same radiator with a rectangle shaped counterpoise at 15' feet above Earth. Too bad Eznec won't let me model radials below the ground.

Something I am not sure about is how well EzNEC reproduces the variance in conductivity this article found in the earth over a relatively small area. I am also curious, if it could make such a distinction, how it may affect the model.

At this point it might be good to know why the counterpoise all but disappeared from discussion and use.

I personally think the original use of the word disappeared because there was a lack of need for it. Look at what has happened with radio over the decades, the useable frequencies got higher and higher, and those used smaller and smaller antennas. Even at HF, we can typically elevate the antennas used fairly easily above where they would have any real capacitance with the earth. Technology itself has moved along with it. Would we have cell phones today if we were limited to HF and lower frequencies?

Revisiting something you said prior to this post.

Cebik did make a claim in conclusion that the term was based on mechanical science, and went on to say there is no scientifically reliable source in RF for the idea as far back as he could source, and the maybe we should just decline using the term...unless a full description of its use is also provided.

As have I...

The definition of the word would be the next factor that I examine. We should decide if this definition is even relevant for Antenna Engineering as it does not fit the historical uses of the term, and originates elsewhere in engineering. In mechanical engineering, where the word originates, the term means to oppose a force with an equal and opposite force. Some sources use the term "balancing" force. Looking up multiple different web sources for the definition I get the impression (and some specifically state) that the force must be perfectly balanced, or exactly equal to the force being opposed.

And from the same post...

I'm not sure about the definition that is often given as it originates in mechanical engineering. Antenna theory is part of electrical engineering. While they are both fields of engineering I am at a state of a tossup of weather the definition should still apply or be dismissed. Most people see the definition being completely contradictory to the traditional use of the term in the antenna engineering field.

One problem is while in mechanical engineering it applies to a force only, here we are giving components the same name. I don't think many who call an elevated radial system for an antenna a counterpoise truly understand the definition of the term as I have heard people say things like "you need a counterpoise to complete the antenna". A counterpoise, by definition, cancels with balance, not completes with balance. Of course, all this is dependent on weather the term and its mechanical engineering definition can truly be considered relevant when dealing with RF, which there is obviously some question about.

In the end, there is only one ground system I am aware of that this definition accurately describes, and that is the traditional definition of the word.

And then there is this observation from that same post...

One observation I have made about all of the uses of the term "counterpoise" is that there is no use of the word that doesn't already have a more accurate and descriptive word/phrase already in use to describe what is being referred to.

As of yet, I not seen anything to call this observation into question.

Wow, now that I read over it that was a long post... Perhaps I should have broken that up some...

The DB

@ The DB -

" How long wilt thou speak these things?
And how long shall the words of thy mouth be like a strong wind?
"

Job 8:2 (KJV)

;)

I think because of Homer's persistence we may understand a lot more about the counterpoise than we did earlier, but I'm not sure what it all means yet...considering the traditional Broadcast idea has apparently lost its favor.

Maybe we'll get some real world ideas for its use with local contacts if and when Homer is able to experiment with the idea, and give us his results.

@ The DB -

" How long wilt thou speak these things?
And how long shall the words of thy mouth be like a strong wind?"
Job 8:2 (KJV)

;)

Homer, are you suggesting that DB is full of hot air, like Bildad contended Job was guilty of...when trying in vain to explain his suffering at the hands of God?

Homer, are you suggesting that DB is full of hot air, like Bildad contended Job was guilty of...when trying in vain to explain his suffering at the hands of God?
LOL.
Nope just to the length of his post when he, himself, said this of it.

The DB said:
Wow, now that I read over it that was a long post... Perhaps I should have broken that up some...

Yeshua, some interesting old literary uses of the term.

LOL.
Nope just to the length of his post when he, himself, said this of it.

Yeshua, some interesting old literary uses of the term.

You may be right Homer. It's OK with me, but it was long. I've attempted several times to respond, but stopped because I though I was getting long winded too.

In response to DB's question about Eznec being able to consider the variations in ground conductivity as noted in the article, we all know that is not possible.

I don't understand how Eznec handles the ground either, but it has to be based on some established scientific soil and resistance values. So, the type of soil selected, must determine a technical standard to be used with the model. Thus I figure the soil resistance is determined and distributed in a homogeneous manner around the antenna evenly, just like the report claims was the previous 60 years of thinking. As it turns out, that was totally unlike what their report found, and that might help us better understand why we find different results at different sites.

When I change the soil on my models, I tend to see some wildly different results at times, but thus far I have not been able to figure out the relationships involved with such changes. I think I'm right here, but I remember I was surprised to find that the worse the soil condition the better the antennas seemed to work. That said, I never got into any deep study and consideration for a better understanding however.

IMO this new idea, based on the report, would likely cause us to see even more complexity and model errors...as compared to real world applications. However, I don't know how much difference it makes in what we CBr's could determine working our radios.

So, here again I'm wondering if highly technical differences that science finds has anything at all to do with what we CBr's can observe.

BTW, I was looking at several of those old images of the counterpoise setups, and I notice they typically show a building underneath the counterpoise. I wonder if that interferes with the capacity to ground issues this counterpoise idea seems to focus on?

Those buildings also look to provide working areas for engineers. So, I wonder how they dealt with the RF being they were right close to those old high powered antennas and transmitters every day?

BTW, I was looking at several of those old images of the counterpoise setups, and I notice they typically show a building underneath the counterpoise. I wonder if that interferes with the capacity to ground issues this counterpoise idea seems to focus on?

Those buildings also look to provide working areas for engineers. So, I wonder how they dealt with the RF being they were right close to those old high powered antennas and transmitters every day?

I noticed that to. I would think that part of that would depend on the design of the buildings in question.

For example, a steel reinforced concrete (or brick/cinder block) building I imagine would be much more effective than a wood frame building that has nothing that can collect/absorb the RF. That being said, at the frequencies in question it wouldn't be hard to have a metal screen within the walls/roof of the building that would act as a faraday cage to protect the people working inside the building. In either case I would think the (hopefully correctly designed) wire screen above would provide at least some protection.

I also wonder if in the early days they realized that there was a danger from said RF energy.

The DB

At MW frequencies there is little danger due to RF exposure, even when very close to the antenna, at 500KHz and 10KW, the high limit area is very close, approximately 6 feet, check out the following calculator:

Radio frequency power density calculator

The controlled limit applies to professionals, ie someone working at the transmitter site, where exposure would be prolonged, uncontrolled is the limit applied to the general public, where only occasional exposure would take place ;)

Here are the two graphics from the article showing the current distribution for the counterpoise (raised non-grounded) and the raised radials (grounded) system.

One thing they seem to have shown (I want to read again how they got their results. I read it too quickly), the counterpoise system is better if not even where they were testing.

pattern01_zps2e117f0b.jpg

pattern02_zps055f1b88.jpg

Here is the results of their conductivity tests. It seems to me the current distribution follows precisely along with the conductivity - the more conductive the earth beneath the more the current that manifested - causing the strange shaped current pattern.

pattern03_zps86c86c2d.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.