• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

relays for xforce 80 amp

Ronald Porter

Apr 8, 2016
Does anyone know the wiring diagram for a xforce 80 amp? purchased new relays for the amp and made diagram from old relays that were in there.Wired the new relays up the same way and they don't work. So whatever relays that were there were different than the ones I purchased from xforce. I would like to know the wiring for the bottom relays. the choke smokes as soon as you key up. Here is a picture of the relays. 102_0503.JPG 102_0503.JPG 102_0505.JPG

Could be the pin arrangement on relays is different. Yours has class B biasing so bit more complicated. They use similar design in TexasStar amps. You have AC and DC going thru the line.

Could be the pin arrangement on relays is different. Yours has class B biasing so bit more complicated. They use similar design in TexasStar amps. You have AC and DC going thru the line.
dc, Its a base amp. has a ac plug in wall but conversion to dc inside amp. I ask xforce and he said he would send me diagram for hook up when I bought the relays from them, but he didn't, been trying to call them but they won't answer the phone. he said I had it wired for nc (normally closed) and should be wired for no(normally open) and had to change wires around, but didn't say what ones to change. I'm not to up on relays, forgot how to do them, been away from working on them for 16 years. have to go back to the books I guess.

Last edited:
What I mean by AC and DC, one of those wires carries your rf signal should have a bypass cap to let rf thru but block DC. On same line/ feed has DC to feed bias circuit. That is why there are chokes. To let DC voltage thru but block rf voltage. It's an old TS trick.

What I mean by AC and DC, one of those wires carries your rf signal should have a bypass cap to let rf thru but block DC. On same line/ feed has DC to feed bias circuit. That is why there are chokes. To let DC voltage thru but block rf voltage. It's an old TS trick.
I'm sorry, I should have known that. It's been 16 years since I've worked on these. Where the chokes hook to on the old relays was the front pin. thats where the cap was. hooked to a wire that went to the pot that controlled the wattage on the front of the amp. hooked them up the same way and when keyed the choke began to smoke. So something is hooked up wrong. I'm trying to remember all this again. thanks for the help. Ron

I'm sorry, I should have known that. It's been 16 years since I've worked on these. Where the chokes hook to on the old relays was the front pin. thats where the cap was. hooked to a wire that went to the pot that controlled the wattage on the front of the amp. hooked them up the same way and when keyed the choke began to smoke. So something is hooked up wrong. I'm trying to remember all this again. thanks for the help. Ron
HEY!!!! I finally got the schematic drawing from xforce for the relays. Had 4 wires reversed from old relays. That's probably why he kept blowing the finals. Whoever wired it before had them wired wrong. Thank you for all the help. Ron

Glad it was easy fix.
This is a great thread! By chance would anyone be able to tell me what wattage and uh value those double chokes are across the relay? Plus I'm assuming the double off the input as an newer upgrade are the same? Thank you in advance!

The two choke coils look like a generic 10 uH part. Depends on the core material they're wound onto, not just the number of turns in the wire. Two of them in series would get you around 20 uH if I'm right about the parts' individual inductance value. A single choke around 22 uH has been used in CB linears for decades. They're not routinely rated for wattage, but for max circuit current.

Reactions: Myst-hic
The two choke coils look like a generic 10 uH part. Depends on the core material they're wound onto, not just the number of turns in the wire. Two of them in series would get you around 20 uH if I'm right about the parts' individual inductance value. A single choke around 22 uH has been used in CB linears for decades. They're not routinely rated for wattage, but for max circuit current.

Thank you! Well shucks, I bought by size from rf parts, they were not even close to 20, but I did get a few I think for my Texas star, those are 10uh apiece, so maybe in serial I will be fine. Now to figure out what's blowing the darn things. 73's!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.