• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Remote Testing

Okay. I'll out myself a bit here. How do I give a license exam not only with out any discrepancy or possibility of cheating but with out any doubt whatsoever of the suspicion of cheating?

In short it isn't enough that I conduct an exam session, I have to maintain the integrity of the exam session beyond any question.

Now how do I accomplish that with out someone beyond reproach, volunteer examiner or other, physically present with the person taking the test. ?

Most of you know or suspect my history and might very well question my motives, my incentive, my very reason for conducting an amateur license exam. Go ahead and question my motive but not the integrity of the exam. There I will not compromise.

Find a way that the exam will not under any circumstances be questioned and I'll not only agree but I will conduct the exam.

As it stands , No, I will not conduct an exam with purely online supervision.
you sir are reading my mind, why else is 3 ve members present during testing?when i took my test there was 6 ve there,day before they had a house full taking the test.
The same people that sell junk radios on fleabay prolly lne up for online testing,but thats my opinion

Amendment of the Amateur Service Rules Governing Qualifying Examination Systems and Other Matters
WT Docket No. 12-283

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0609/FCC-14-74A1.pdf

2.Remote testing20.Background. Our rules require that each administering VE be present and observing the examinee throughout the entire examination. In the years since the VE system was established, remote testing methods have been developed, including audio and video links, either hard-wired to a site or available through Internet or satellite technologies, whichwould allow a VE team to observe an examinee from afar. Such methods are commonly used by educational institutions to provide classes, by businesses for teleconferencing among numerous locations simultaneously, and to provide myriad services to consumers. In the NPRM, the Commission sought comment on whether to amend Section 97.509(c) to provide that, at the option of the administering VEs and the VEC coordinating the examination session, the VEs may be “present and observing” an examinee for purposes ofthe rule when they are using an
audio and video system that can assure the proper conduct and necessary supervision of each examination.5521.Decision.Allowing VEs and VECs the option of administering examination at locations remote from the VEs is warranted. Most commenters support amending the rules to allow remote testing. We disagree with the commenters who oppose the proposal on the grounds that there is no need for remote testing56or that we should undertake a pilot program and revisit this issuein the future.57Rather, we agree with most commenters that remote testing that maintains the integrity of the examination process is feasible,58and can bring amateur radio licensing opportunities to applicants in isolated locations,59and we amend Section97.509(c) accordingly. 22.We will not incorporate into the rules specific requirements or conditions for remote testing.60No VEC or VE will be required to conduct remote testing. Because such testing is optional and can only be done if a VEC agrees to coordinate the examination session,61VECs may coordinate sessions only if they are certain that remote testing can assure the proper conduct and necessary supervision of the examination session.62The mechanics involved in remote testing will vary from location to location and session to session, and specific rules regarding how to administer such examinations could limit the flexibility of VEs and VECs. Finally, we amend Section 97.509(h) of the Commission’s Rules63to provide that the administering VEs must grade examinations from a remote testing session “at the earliest practical opportunity” (rather than “immediately” as the rule requires for conventional examination sessions), given that immediate scoring may not be possible depending on how the VEs implement remote testing.6423.While we decline to adopt specific rules applicable to remote testing or rules limiting where such testing should be permitted, we emphasize that the obligation under our rules of VECs and VEs to administer examinations responsibly applies in full to remote testing. In the event that their remote administration compromises the examination process, VECs can decertify VEs and we can terminate our agreements with VECs. ~:EOF

In the event that their remote administration compromises the examination process, VECs can decertify VEs and we can terminate our agreements with VECs

"VECs can decertify VEs" This not only places my certification in jeopardy but places every exam I have participated in and every licensee I have certified in question. In its strictest sense the holder of every 605 I've signed could be recalled for re-testing.

"...and we can terminate our agreements with VECs" This places the entire VE program at risk.

No wonder the Laurel VEC says no...

Now do you have some idea of what is at stake?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb
Amendment of the Amateur Service Rules Governing Qualifying Examination Systems and Other Matters
WT Docket No. 12-283

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0609/FCC-14-74A1.pdf

2.Remote testing20.Background. Our rules require that each administering VE be present and observing the examinee throughout the entire examination. In the years since the VE system was established, remote testing methods have been developed, including audio and video links, either hard-wired to a site or available through Internet or satellite technologies, whichwould allow a VE team to observe an examinee from afar. Such methods are commonly used by educational institutions to provide classes, by businesses for teleconferencing among numerous locations simultaneously, and to provide myriad services to consumers. In the NPRM, the Commission sought comment on whether to amend Section 97.509(c) to provide that, at the option of the administering VEs and the VEC coordinating the examination session, the VEs may be “present and observing” an examinee for purposes ofthe rule when they are using an
audio and video system that can assure the proper conduct and necessary supervision of each examination.5521.Decision.Allowing VEs and VECs the option of administering examination at locations remote from the VEs is warranted. Most commenters support amending the rules to allow remote testing. We disagree with the commenters who oppose the proposal on the grounds that there is no need for remote testing56or that we should undertake a pilot program and revisit this issuein the future.57Rather, we agree with most commenters that remote testing that maintains the integrity of the examination process is feasible,58and can bring amateur radio licensing opportunities to applicants in isolated locations,59and we amend Section97.509(c) accordingly. 22.We will not incorporate into the rules specific requirements or conditions for remote testing.60No VEC or VE will be required to conduct remote testing. Because such testing is optional and can only be done if a VEC agrees to coordinate the examination session,61VECs may coordinate sessions only if they are certain that remote testing can assure the proper conduct and necessary supervision of the examination session.62The mechanics involved in remote testing will vary from location to location and session to session, and specific rules regarding how to administer such examinations could limit the flexibility of VEs and VECs. Finally, we amend Section 97.509(h) of the Commission’s Rules63to provide that the administering VEs must grade examinations from a remote testing session “at the earliest practical opportunity” (rather than “immediately” as the rule requires for conventional examination sessions), given that immediate scoring may not be possible depending on how the VEs implement remote testing.6423.While we decline to adopt specific rules applicable to remote testing or rules limiting where such testing should be permitted, we emphasize that the obligation under our rules of VECs and VEs to administer examinations responsibly applies in full to remote testing. In the event that their remote administration compromises the examination process, VECs can decertify VEs and we can terminate our agreements with VECs. ~:EOF

"VECs can decertify VEs" This not only places my certification in jeopardy but places every exam I have participated in and every licensee I have certified in question. In its strictest sense the holder of every 605 I've signed could be recalled for re-testing.

"...and we can terminate our agreements with VECs" This places the entire VE program at risk.

No wonder the Laurel VEC says no...

Now do you have some idea of what is at stake?
way more than meets the eye

I would say yes, at any time, but not without cause or reason.

Some of the stuff I saw posted included some very loose verbiage - and the above isn’t intended to be a direct quote - but that’s why I phrased it that way.

Not that I think that would happen for no reason.

Okay, what if?

One VEC has their certification stripped due to inconsistencies in remote testing procedures.
There is another organization ready and waiting to take their place and all others take notice and tighten procedures or eliminate remote testing.

Yeah, maybe.

Several VEC's have their certification stripped due to inconsistencies in remote testing procedures.
The FCC steps in and abolishes the VE system and resumes testing after a 36 year hiatus .

No , not so much.

More realistically the various VEC's will be very cautious and in most cases will not endorse remote testing as they see social distancing as a temporary aberration not requiring extraordinary measures such as remote testing.

I’m not looking to what if things...just trying to ascertain whether that clause was something new or reiteration of something already on the books.

And I’m not trying to be shy on my thoughts here...I think the worries about cheating are way overblown.

I mean...do I connect the SWR meter to my microphone or my antenna? That’s the kind of questions in the tech pool.

On another note, Georgia is handing driver’s licenses to people that haven’t passed a road test...

Not saying that is directly relevant to the discussion, but interesting nonetheless :D

Regardless of the FCCs thoughts on the matter, I applaud your passion on the subject.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.