• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Removing ethanol from gas

Anyone can get it. Not the point. Still have to fill out paperwork to pay tax.

It’s not quite the same, but those who try to use red dye diesel (off-road) to save on cost face stiff penalties. I’ve had my tanks dipped several times. Different states. Read up on it. This is a career-maker for a bureaucrat.

I bring it up as “why get on someone’s list for no good reason”. Underline those last three words. And FBOs have a hard enough time as it is.
100% right. I get it Slowmover, actually I got it a long time ago. I try to keep off every “government list” that I can, and avoid “contracting with any agency”! As far as off road diesel, I agree not worth it (in my area it’s only a few cents difference and definitely not worth the stiff penalty). About the fuel; anyone can get it? Maybe now, but what about during a “major crisis” or a manipulated shortage?
My advice is also to KEEP YOUR NAME OFF OF ANY LIST that you possibly can (the less they know the better off you are).

Aviation gasoline has ALWAYS had a different formulation than automobile fuel.

The octane rating DOESN'T transfer 1:1.

Sure. Things will run on it. But it has drawbacks long-term.
100LL. "Low Lead" has way more lead in it then even leaded automotive fuels did back in the day. If you run it long term in a low compression engine that wants 87oct and doesn't get run hard then your going to have spark plug problems.
fouled.jpg
And 100LL doesn't mix with water. Thats why airplanes have little drains on their tanks. They drain off the water that pools in the bottom of their fuel tanks from condensation. If you dont have a little drain on your gas tank then that water is just going to sit there until it reaches the fuel pickup or rot the tank. And if your car has catalytic converters or an O2 sensor kiss those goodbye. Lead kills them quickly.

I run 100LL though my power equipment at the end of the season to get the ethanol crap out the carbs. They get stored with the tanks empty.

My cars get parked with Sunoco 260gtx in the tank and fuel system.
Last I checked 100LL was 5 and change. 260 is always about 10bux a gallon.

Heard about a P51 Mustang pilot who couldn't get high octane gas, so he would leave the gas in glass jars in the sun and then siphon the higher grade stuff off the top of bottom or something like that.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I want to start doing this. The nearest station with ethanol free gas is 40 miles away. Looking to only keep 5 gallons on hand. Been watching different YouTube videos. Got a few good ideas.

Anyone here do this? What equipment do you use?
Wow! 40 miles to the closest non-ethanol gas station? There are several gas stations within a six-mile radius from my location which have non-ethanol gas and two gas stations have Top Tier Non-Ethanol gas which is the only gas I put into my F350, Honda Pilot, Cub Cadet garden tractor, Husqvarna snowblower, Stihl weedwhacker and Honda lawn mower.

I keep 2ea. 14 gallon containers of ethanol free in my garage at all times for all my small engines and motorcycle with stabilize in it. I never seen a small engine that didn't perform better with more octane and it gives better mileage. I haven't had carburetor problems in years and my time is worth plenty in the repair world.

I keep 2ea. 14 gallon containers of ethanol free in my garage at all times for all my small engines and motorcycle with stabilize in it. I never seen a small engine that didn't perform better with more octane and it gives better mileage. I haven't had carburetor problems in years and my time is worth plenty in the repair world.
I always use non-ethanol in all my vehicles. The current price per gallon in my area is $4.29. Now I write a shopping list prior to going to the grocery store.

I always use non-ethanol in all my vehicles. The current price per gallon in my area is $4.29. Now I write a shopping list prior to going to the grocery store.
Can't say as I blame you for the shopping list because of the expense of the good gas. My Cobalt and Astro Van are fuel injected and gas never sets in them long so I burn ethanol Plus gas in them because of better performance and mileage. Guess I'm too cheap for Ethanol free in them. LOL I use to take my family to Canada every year and found out I burnt almost a half a tank less by puting in Plus gas over using regular at the same fill-up station before we entered into Canada. My old 85 Ford van had 2 tanks. I couldn't afford it today. Gas has went up about 20 cents a gal just lately. I'm sure I'll be in for sticker shock when I fill my ethanol free tanks again. LOL

In our AO (Finger Lakes area of NY state) premium non-eth is fairly popular. Every Byrne dairy sells it, and if you want Top Tier non-eth, I can find it at a couple Marathon, and one Sunoco station. It's generally 90 octane, so, yea, not so "premium" but more than enough octane for small engines. I'd use it in my SRT-4, but I do need 93 in that due to the tune and 20psi of boost from the snail.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated