1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing ethanol from gas

Discussion in 'Prepper Forum' started by Mudfoot, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

This site shows all the stations in the US that have ethanol free gas.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

2. Robb

Robb Yup

I see. So gasahol is 10% alcohol by volume. SO, you must add an equal amount of water to combine with the hydrophilic alcohol to force separation from the gas. Cool beans! Thanks for that tip! You said viddys? Which one(s) would be the best IYHO?

357magnum likes this.
  3. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Found a half a dozen places in RI that have one about 20 miles away , the others list VP Racing Fuel . I can't imagine what that cost now ? In the mid 80's when I was racing I use to but it by the drum & it wasn't cheap then . As far as making my own ? I'm tapping out I'll leave it to you Chemist's I'd screw it up for sure !:LOL:

4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I have a backpack leaf blower that would benefit from ethanol free gas. My enduro would too.

357magnum likes this.
  5. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

That will also greatly reduce the octane number and strip out the rust inhibitors on the fuel

6. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Once the ethanol is out, rust inhibitors aren't so necessary. Just keep tank top off to prevent condensation.

7. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Unfortunately there are no gas stations in Delaware without alcohol that I can find. It is hard on small motors that don't get used every day. When the alcohol absorbs water it turns into a clear jelly and it will clog a fuel filter up fast. There is nothing you can do to clean the filter out and its clear so you can't see it in the filter. It had me pulling my hair out the first time it got me. If you pour the gasoline into a clear container, you can see small blobs of the jelly on the bottom along with any water that the alcohol did not absorb.

On my small equipment 2 and 4 cycle I use Stabil and Startron in all the gas all the time. That way, at the end of the season it is ready. The motors that have a diaphragm in the carburetor, I will not run them out of gas. The diaphragm needs to have the gas on it to keep from drying out. In the spring, I drain the tank and rinse it with a little fresh mix and then it is ready to go. The mowers and bigger motors without diaphragms in the carburetors I will let them run until they quit before storage.

Here is the Startron:
    http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-fuel-additive?category_id=585
    93008.A1_2c76ae5c1f14163a64eaac77a8318ff0.png

Seafoam is another excellent product that I use in the spring and periodically throughout the year. In the gas and the oil.

Putting water in the gas to precipitate the alcohol will work. Don't worry about getting the right amount of water. Any extra water will just sit on the bottom with the jelly. I would get a square shaped bucket to make it easier to pour. You can pour it into another bucket and see when you are getting to the junk. So just pour the water in and stir it or shake it up. Come back in a few days and it should be separated.

The only thing I don't know is about the other additives that are in the gasoline to begin with. The additive MTBE that is no longer in gasoline was water soluble. I don't know if there are currently any additives in the gasoline blend that would be removed with the water. Gas stations get water in the tanks from condensation etc. all the time. The pumps don't draw from the very bottom so it is usually not a problem.

My 2 cents
    Chris

S&W357, 357magnum, Robb and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I have read and watched videos where they remove ethanol from high octane and run it in airplanes without any further additives.

I would buy the highest octane rating to use for ethanol removal. Should be fine for my needs. I wouldn't want to buy anything else to add. I'm cheap.

9. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

I use only Top Tier gas in everything (truck, lawn mower, chainsaw etc.) and also I add this ....

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

No problems with mower or roto tillers for the last 10 yrs now when using this stuff. It works better than Sea Foam.

No water in any of my machines after winter and they always start with no problems!

10. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Stihl and Trufuel both make ethonal free 4 cycle, and 2 cycle mix.
    When I bought my last Sthil chainsaw I bought a gallon of it and they extended the factory warranty to 2 years.
    I think you can get 4.75 gallon cans at wally world for around 30 bucks.
    Jeff

11. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Nice

12. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

To be honest I saw cans of Jonsered Fuel @ local TSC . RI must be the last place for anything !:LOL: I saw the price & thought that's a lot of $ for a can of pre-mix fuel ? Now I know why ... Real Gas ! It's like we live under a rock , that was the first time I'd seen it !:whistle::ROFLMAO:

S&W357 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  13. dledinger

dledinger 2NC995

The Stihl extended warranty doesn’t apply to commercial use, unfortunately. The trade off is you get a much better price on a commercial account.

I run non-ethanol in all my work stuff, but all the stuff at home gets filled with Stihl’s very expensive fuel every fall.

I might run two tanks through my trimmer, blower, and edger all year. But I burn gallons in my chainsaws every day. That $20/gallon fuel would add up quick.

Shadetree Mechanic and 357magnum like this.
  14. S&W357

S&W357 WDX-556 Supporting Member Space For Rent

I had no idea that Stihl or any other company had pre-mixed fuel available. Learned something today. I do use the Stihl brand oil to mix in non-ethanol gas.

357magnum likes this.
  15. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Ralph , It was a surprise to me also when I saw it TSC . But that :censored: ain't cheap .:LOL:

binrat and S&W357 like this.