• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Repair Imax 2000? Or build something?

If you have the room and don't want to go real high as far as base of the antenna, the sirio vector 4K is a great antenna. I've one up at 26ft to the base and it talks locally out to about 50-70 miles on SSB with about 50 watts of power. I have used less power and talked as far, but I will be honest and say what I run it at most of the time, which is 50w or less, depending on low local they are I can use as low as power as my Icom 746 will go on SSB, which is 5 watts. And those are the ones that are around 5-10 miles. These are under normal operating conditions for me, and just my experience with the antenna. It also works great on DX as well.
And I will end it with saying it has seen its share of bad weather and high winds of over 40mph at times and sustained 15-20mph winds. Antenna still stands as when I first installed it. There are better antennas as far as quality of materials and thickness of aluminum used, but they are almost 3 times what the vector 4K costs. Weather proof the connector at the antenna and it shouldn't give you any issues. Like I said, we have had some bad weather lately and it's been windy and rainy. Antenna is still working as it should. Again, like I said there are better antennas out there as far as quality of some of the materials used, but for the price, they are a good vertical antenna that really does work well for local comms. JMHO. And I am no antenna expert, I am just speaking on my own experience so don't flame me fellas LOL!!

This is only if you aren't going to fix the I2K. If it's broken that close to the mounting point, it must have had a lot of stress exerted on it. Is there enough material left to slide a heavy duty piece of PVC over the broken section like suggested? Might work. PVC isn't too expensive so no big loss.

Reactions: Robb
The only commercially made antenna that doesn't need radials is either the Vector 4000 (inverted radials) or the GainMaster (vertical dipole w/tuning stub). Any other vertical antenna will need to have a counterpoise, even an Imax 2000. Otherwise, it will end up using the coax braid as the counterpoise with RF getting in the shack . . . Or build a loop antenna . . .
Robb. I was having issues with rf getting into the shack, with my imax 2000. I was gonna make an air wound choke but every one was giving me different turn amounts and different diameters. I purchased an MFJ 915 rf choke and problem solved. I know MFJ gets a bad rap and we'll deserved considering my 828 is going to MFJ for warranty repir but the choke works gret.

Reactions: Robb
Well I have an old antron 99 that is no good I might use the tubes from that the fiber glass tube that is to repair the imax 2000
Not a pleasant thing - working with fiberglass - that is. I'd see if a cheap piece of PVC ( for $0 if you go to the scrap pile at a new home construction site) acting like a sleeve couldn't shore up that break. Worth a shot before you just end up tossing that I-2000 altogether . . . just sayin' . . .

FX, google J-pole for 11 meters. you wil find many sites giving dimensions and how to instructions. Make the dimensions for whatever freq you like, 11 meters 10 meters how ever you want the antenna resonant at.

Marconi did an eznec of the vector 4k and the j pole radiation pattern,he over layed the plots, the simple j-pole was equal to the sirio vector4k.

NO RADIALS NEEDED, should fit your purpose, build out of simple material you have laying around and hang it from a tree limb, have fun

One or two things as stated above by Atlasta or replace it with another fiberglass tube, or thick wall pvc.

If I was I would redo it all and fit it with a solid piece of 10ga copper wire for fun. And all 3 sections.

Me I'd do as I stated 10ga solid copper wire and maybe use a vacuum capacitor @10-100pf give or take its suppose to have a capacitance of @34pf or 44pf and do a motorized version.

FX, google J-pole for 11 meters. you wil find many sites giving dimensions and how to instructions. Make the dimensions for whatever freq you like, 11 meters 10 meters how ever you want the antenna resonant at.

Marconi did an eznec of the vector 4k and the j pole radiation pattern,he over layed the plots, the simple j-pole was equal to the sirio vector4k.

NO RADIALS NEEDED, should fit your purpose, build out of simple material you have laying around and hang it from a tree limb, have fun

Very interesting, I want to build an antenna that is build strong and last long. I like the Targa BT-104 and Have seen some good reports with people that have used and /or build 10-11 meter J-Pole copper antennas. Can I build a Vector 4000 type of antenna in a smaller version that is easier to handle to get up in the air. I like the idea of using copper over aluminum but I am need to this so any help is appreciated. As I am really at a busy intersection and cannot decide which direct to turn.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated