• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Repeater Offset?

The Avalon repeater is a + offset as mentioned above. TX is 147.690 Rx is 147.090 I was just on it this morning and there's no PL tone needed currently.

DCS tones are used between radios to open the squelch. I never use it, but if for example you had two HT's on a channel with a lot of noise, you could set a DCS tone. That will only break the squelch on the receiving ht, when the transmitting ht transmits with that tone. The problem is, you could be stepping all over someone else on the freq w/o knowing it because your squelch only opens when your buddy is transmitting.

Last edited:
If the repeater uses CTCSS then you will have to transmit that tone to be heard.

Some repeaters if they use a voice announcement include the tone frequency along with the call-sign. On-line databases can help.

DCS is a higher tech version of PL/CTCSS used only when needed.

We were all newbies in the beginning. Not to worry.:D

I think I understand what CTCSS tones are now, but how do I find out the correct tone when just scanning channels? Do I have to have the transmit CTCSS set in order for others on the freq to hear me?

What are DCS tones and how are they used? I have that option on my radio as well.

Thank you for all of the help and support, I really appreciate it, I hate feeling like a newbie

So if I am traveling say to AZ and I hear chatter on a freq, is there any way for me to know what the CTCSS tone or offset are so I can talk to the people I am hearing?

Some radios have a Tone Scan feature, while you hear someone talking on a frequency, you enable the tone scan and it will stop on the tone being used.

I have no idea if your radio has that feature, we will wait for others to reply.

Did you ever get the Catalina Island Repeater to key with your HT?

My Wouxon KG-UV3D does I beleive have the CTCSS scan feature, just never know how it worked.

Ya, I had my first contact over the Cat repeater last night with no PL tone and the .6 offset. Which brings me to another question. When using a repeater, if I am sitting a mile from you does the signal go from me, to Catalina, and back to you, or do you just get it as it travels to the Cat repeater?

The person receiving the signal gets it from the Cat repeater, it is "repeating" your signal. That is why when you un-key your radio, you are listening to the output of the repeater just like everyone else listening. When you key your radio you are transmitting on the input of the repeater 147.690, again the repeater "repeats" what you say on the output frequency 147.090 where everyone listens, make sense?

My Wouxon KG-UV3D does I beleive have the CTCSS scan feature, just never know how it worked.

Ya, I had my first contact over the Cat repeater last night with no PL tone and the .6 offset. Which brings me to another question. When using a repeater, if I am sitting a mile from you does the signal go from me, to Catalina, and back to you, or do you just get it as it travels to the Cat repeater?

I think so. So its not a direct transmission simplex to the other person, its going to Catalina and back.

What are typical ranges for repeaters in Orange County? 10 miles?

Another feature

Your radio most likely has a feature called 'reverse'. Not deep in a menu, because it is something you may use when talking with a friend on the repeater. It allows you to easily switch from listening on the repeater output to listening to your friend on his output to the repeater. If you can hear him on 'reverse' then you can talk to him on simplex. On your next transmission you would say, "I can hear you on 'reverse' let switch to simplex 'xxx.xxx'. Keeps from tying up the repeater when talking to your friend a mile or so apart.

Easily 10 miles, but someone from the area could give you a better number.

Your radio most likely has a feature called 'reverse'. Not deep in a menu, because it is something you may use when talking with a friend on the repeater. It allows you to easily switch from listening on the repeater output to listening to your friend on his output to the repeater. If you can hear him on 'reverse' then you can talk to him on simplex. On your next transmission you would say, "I can hear you on 'reverse' let switch to simplex 'xxx.xxx'. Keeps from tying up the repeater when talking to your friend a mile or so apart.

Easily 10 miles, but someone from the area could give you a better number.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about the reverse feature. If I understand it correctly it means that you go from listening on the repeater In/Out freqs to a simplex freq where the two of you do not use the repeater any longer?

The thing that can get confusing is that the repeater can both transmit, and receive at the same time.

Say you have always used a CB, you know that when you talk ( or transmit) the receive in the cb is turned off, then when you let go of the mike key, the transmitter turns off and the receiver turns back on.
This is what is called simplex, you are transmitting or receiving on one frequency.

A repeater has a transmitter, and a receiver and they can both be turned on at the same time.
And what make a repeater work so well is it can do this on Two different frequency's.

What happens is that the transmitter is tuned to the output frequency( in this case the output frequency is 147.090 ) and the receiver it tuned to the input frequency (in this case the input of the repeater 147.690 )

Your Ht when you hit the PTT ( the key) transmits on the input of 147.690, the repeater hears it, and feeds the audio into the transmitter that is sending the signal out on 147.090.

This happens at the same time.

It can both TX and RX at the same time, on two different frequency's. ( i know i keep saying this, stick with me)
(This is full duplex)

When you enable the Reverse on you HT, you "flip" the input and out put frequency's, now your HT is Listening on the input of the repeater ( 147.690 ).....you will not hear the repeater output, but if the other party you are talking to is close enough, you hear his signal that is transmitting to the input of the repeater also on 146.690.

If you key your HT with reverse enabled, you will be transmitting on the output frequency, same as the transmitter of the repeater ( 147.090 ) and if he can hear you, then you are both close enough to talk simplex.

You can then both pick a simplex frequency, and talk with each other with your offset turned off, this means you are both transmitting and receiving on the same frequency again, just like a CB radio again( simplex)

At first it might be hard to grasp the the repeater can both transmit and receive at the same time, on two different frequency's, but this is what it does.
I hope that helps.

Jeff

The thing that can get confusing is that the repeater can both transmit, and receive at the same time.

Say you have always used a CB, you know that when you talk ( or transmit) the receive in the cb is turned off, then when you let go of the mike key, the transmitter turns off and the receiver turns back on.
This is what is called simplex, you are transmitting or receiving on one frequency.

A repeater has a transmitter, and a receiver and they can both be turned on at the same time.

What happens is that the transmitter is tuned to the output frequency( in this case the output frequency is 147.090 ) and the receiver it tuned to the input frequency (in this case the input of the repeater 147.690 )

Your Ht when you hit the PTT ( the key) transmits on the input of 147.690, the repeater hears it, and feeds the audio into the transmitter that is sending the signal out on 147.090.

This happens at the same time.

It can both TX and RX at the same time, on two different frequency's.
(This is full duplex)

When you enable the Reverse on you HT, you "flip" the input and out put frequency's, now your HT is Listening on the input of the repeater ( 147.690 ).....you will not hear the repeater output, but if the other party you are talking to is close enough, you hear his signal that is transmitting to the input of the repeater also on 146.690.

If you key your HT with reverse enabled, you will be transmitting on the output frequency, same as the transmitter of the repeater ( 147.090 ) and if he can hear you, then you are both close enough to talk simplex.

You can then both pick a simplex frequency, and talk with each other with your offset turned off, this means you are both transmitting and receiving on the same frequency again, just like a CB radio again( simplex)

At first it might be hard to grasp the the repeater can both transmit and receive at the same time, on two different frequency's, but this is what it does.
I hope that helps.

Jeff

That was an absolutely awesome explanation..and although I can see the picture of how it all works in my mind, it will take an actual event to see how it works.

Thanks for the great explanation.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.