• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Repeater Offset?

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
Hey all,

Brand new to HAM, just got my callsign a few days ago. Curious about something with repeaters. I live in Socal and have found chatter on 147.090, which according to the internet is a Catalina Island repeater. I can hear them, but they can not hear me, even though some of the ones I can hear say they are using handhelds, like I am.

I am thinking that I do not have the correct offset programmed in. How can I tell what the offset should be? I was under the impression that anything in the 2m band is a 600 offset by definition.

Please help

The standard offset is 600 KHz but there are a few rare exceptions. The basic rule is that if the repeater OUTPUT is in the 146.XXX range then the offset is -600 KHz and if the output is 147.XXX then the offset is + 600 KHz. Again there are a few rare exceptions in the very low 147 range so if one offset does not work then try the other.

When you key the handheld it should read 147.690

Also, check that you have a tone set for the radio of 79.7

According to their website they "occasionally" us a PL Tone of 79.7

Catalina Amateur Repeater Association

Read your manual how to set a PL Tone or tell us what radio you have and we can try to help

I have a Woxoun KG-UV3D. I think PL is the same as CTCSS and I have a R and a T CTCSS setting.

As I understand it, offset translates the receiving freq to the transmitting freq when I push the transmit button, but I'm a bit confused on what PL or CTCSS *if they are the same* actually DO.

No, the PL and CTCSS is not the same. If you haven't, download the program for the Wouxun UV# radios, they're all the same program. Just makes it a lot easier to plug in the right numbers. You'll also need the programming cable and maybe a USB to 9-pin DIN converter. All that can be done from the front panel buttons but it's not exactly "intuitive"/easy.
- 'Doc

try just having the offset with no PL tone at all and see if it keys the repeater.

If not set the PL to 79.7 then try the repeater

just make sure it displays 147.690 while you key the radio. Of course if it is not keyed it should display 147.090

Ya, the transmit and receive freqs are correct.

How do I put in a PL code if they are not the same thing?

What is CTCSS then?

Also, I have downloaded the program and used it however I am still learning what frequencies usually have chatter on them.

PL and CTCSS use the same numbers. What makes them different is when they are used. PL when you transmit to open the repeater. CTCSS when you receive to open the squelch on your receiver. Usually the PL and CTCSS are the same if used. Sometime they need to be different (split) and some radios can't do that.

So how do you know what you have set on the radio? Varies by radio and on my Yaesu the display will show TONE if I am using PL to open the repeater. If the same location on the display shows TSQL then I have PL and CTCSS in use for transmit and receive. If neither are shown, but the + or - is displayed then I am in duplex mode and the repeater does not need a tone to open the repeater.

KE5MC, Mike

Ya, the transmit and receive freqs are correct.

How do I put in a PL code if they are not the same thing?

What is CTCSS then?

PL and CTCSS use the same numbers. What makes them different is when they are used. PL when you transmit to open the repeater. CTCSS when you receive to open the squelch on your receiver. Usually the PL and CTCSS are the same if used. Sometime they need to be different (split) and some radios can't do that.

So how do you know what you have set on the radio? Varies by radio and on my Yaesu the display will show TONE if I am using PL to open the repeater. If the same location on the display shows TSQL then I have PL and CTCSS in use for transmit and receive. If neither are shown, but the + or - is displayed then I am in duplex mode and the repeater does not need a tone to open the repeater.

KE5MC, Mike

So you can have it set to T CTCSS which I guess would be PL and not have a R CTCSS for receiving it back? They do not always have to be matched?

Guys, PL and CTCSS are indeed the same thing. Motorola trademarked the name Private Line for CTCSS tones and it was shortened to PL tones instead. There is no difference in frequencies used nor whether they are used for RX or TX.

KE5MC think about the repeater's receiver. It has a squelch as well that needs to be opened up and it uses a CTCSS tone to do it.

Doc, you may be confusing CTCSS and DCS (Digitally Coded Squelch) which is different from CTCSS. A lot different.

Private line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes you can have two different tones, but 99.9% of the time they are the same in the USA

Capt,

No argument from me on that point. I was just tying to layout a simplified explanation for a new users perspective. In my experience radio manuals play fast and loose with labels in the area of 'tone' between transmit and receive and while they are the same, in a sense they are different as explained/used in the manual.

Hopefully my efforts have helped and not muddied the water.

Mike

<snip>
KE5MC think about the repeater's receiver. It has a squelch as well that needs to be opened up and it uses a CTCSS tone to do it.
<snip>
[

I think I understand what CTCSS tones are now, but how do I find out the correct tone when just scanning channels? Do I have to have the transmit CTCSS set in order for others on the freq to hear me?

What are DCS tones and how are they used? I have that option on my radio as well.

Thank you for all of the help and support, I really appreciate it, I hate feeling like a newbie

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned