• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

replacing channel LED display in Uniden 640E

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Has anyone here ever done one? Is it a pain wjere is the best place to order one? I have a few distributors but looking for ideas ;)

Its a neat little radio and I dont really meass with CB radios but I like this like the Uniden PC-122 I had basically the same radio same circuit board ETC. Im gonna put the Expo Expander N Kit I have in the radio but the LED for channel is horrible just like the TRC-465 and PC-122 radios all evetually had. So I want to get the display fixed first then while the radios open Ill ad the Expo board. I thought about just adding a frequency display unit but the radio is pretty neat and I wanted to fix it right ;)

I know some radios had resitor banks behind the display that had 4 680 Ohm resistors and the resistors would go bad but Im not sure this is the same I have to open it up and see and I actually have about 100 680 Ohm resistors that I ordered a few months back for a different project because I had a few hundred resistors here but no 680 Ohms and know they are common in running with L.E.D.s so I ordered a bunch.

I removed the display from the radio and literally cut the channel read out of the display, retaining the S meter. I hand wired a double seven segment display to the pins of the cut off portion, I think it was common anode, and reassembled the radio works very good and the new display will not 'burn' out.
Befor you ask, I used a hacksaw.... :blink:

73 mechanic

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.