• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Retailers Breakin the Law?

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I seen it at our local electronics retailer, like Circuit City...

A Cobra DX150

:p

:twisted:

Their is no law. Cobra has prepared several documents proving that they are legal to sale. So all National Retailers are picking up the Cobra 10 meter radios.

What makes the 150 different than the S3? Why not also market the S3, or any other export, in the same way?

NorthStar said:
Their is no law. Cobra has prepared several documents proving that they are legal to sale. So all National Retailers are picking up the Cobra 10 meter radios.

Don't know if it is or not, but if it doesn't have the FCC certification sticker on it, it is NOT legal to sell. Interesting how this will play out. :?

CWM

NorthStar said:

Uhh....

Unless that radio is certificated for use by the FCC, it cannot be sold in the USA. I don't know what the "proof" being documented is, but unless the FCC has approved it for use, it remains illegal to be sold. It's the FCC's ruling that it's illegal, and the FCC's ruling has to have been changed in order fo sell it here legally.

I'd like to see what the documentation says.

Don't know if it is or not, but if it doesn't have the FCC certification sticker on it, it is NOT legal to sell.

It is being marketed as an Amateur radio which does not need a sticker. I have heard they are harder to modify if one seeks to do that. So I guess it will have to go through the process to find out if it can keep it's amateur status.

Circuit City has one of the largest lobbys regarding FCC regulated merchandise. They contribute heavily to the campaigns of Congressmen. I will bet dollars to donuts that Circuit City has already paid off everyone it needs to in advance. Congress has already "advised" Mr. Hollingsworth to back off.

There will be no FCC crackdown against Circuit City. None. This will not play out. Worst case scenario, is Circuit City will pull the radio off of the shelves and everyone will forget about it. You will read nothing, nor hear anything about it.

Sonwatcher said:
Don't know if it is or not, but if it doesn't have the FCC certification sticker on it, it is NOT legal to sell.

It is being marketed as an Amateur radio which does not need a sticker. I have heard they are harder to modify if one seeks to do that. So I guess it will have to go through the process to find out if it can keep it's amateur status.

So, if every single person on the FCC's database of current licenses buys an amateur radio from the commercial electronis stores were to buy one, about 600,000 radios would be sold. That's poor performance according to the smart boys who make up the commercial theories. Hardly a drop in the bucket. Nor worth it.

But if a million people who have no idea what it actually is were to buy one....that would be godd performance by a product and would be johnny on the spot!

Somewhere in very small type will be a sentence that only licensed amateur radio operators may use them. Then the dealers only need to point at that little sentence after some dude gets busted using it illegally who said he "did not know a license was needed."

The general public and the sales staffs of Best Buy and Circuit City wouldn't know the difference between the services. "Oh, you mean like it's CB with more channels? I'll buy!!

Whoever charatan sold this idea to Circuit City must be laughing furiously as he rolls in his percentages.

o

I checked this afternoon taking my old Ford to a parade at Circuit City and they told me don't even SELL CB radios. None in the local stores, at least. Now the clerk may have been mistaken but that was what I was told.

Sonwatcher, The 10 Meter radios that look like CB radios with the "band" switches are not legal to market. Period. Cobra can call them hog-calling radios if they want to and they will still be illegal. BTW, according to Mr Brock of the Dallas Field Office, there IS an investigation into these radios going on. He told me that over the phone. They also know about Stryker. They will act within their time and money restraints.

And my 706 DOES have a sticker that says "This device meets Part 15 regulations, etc, etc. Another part of it says, "This device must not be modified to receive cellphone frequencies (it won't anyway). Nothing about Part 95 or Part 97. You can bet that *if* the Cobra is not specifically on the "list", it WILL be soon. Each of the known "Amateur" 10 meter radios that are on the hit list IS illegal. The Cobras with "extree" bands is as well.

CWM

CW,
I have a question. If it has to do with the band switches why is the HTX-10 legal if it is just because of the band switch ? I think a lot has to do with how easy it is to modify.

"Cobra" is a very marketable name brand. That's all.

It kind of made me sick to see that POS on the shelf.

I see for the right price, riley and his gang of hoodlums can be paid off, or made to grab their ankles just like the rest...only it's not CC paying the ticket.

Sonwatcher said:
They also know about Stryker

How did these "come up" in your conversation ???

Because it came up in the conversation with Mr. Brock.

------------------------------------------------------------

The HTX 10 doesn't have "band" switches and is a dedicated, TRUE 10 Meter radio. It, too, has no "channel" indicators. Also it can't be easily modified because Radio Shack had the sense to MAKE it that way. When it first came out, I snickered to high heaven at all the forums and questions about "How can I modify my HTX10 for extra channels". It took a long time for someone to figure out how to do it :twisted: and I thought that was great. Radios in the US are illegal simply because and if FCC says so. And if they put it on a "hit" list, it is because it doesn't meet technical or spectral standards.

Cobra is putting the 150 and 200 in all major retailers. All of their direct buyers will most likely be offering these for sale. And yes they have documentation to provide on legalities. I believe mr bandaidkit and cwmorse get a law degree they can dispute them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.