• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Retailers Breakin the Law?

Topic,all the radios that are allowed are on the list of rec.trans. They said if it isnt on the list it is not for sale in the United States.You can convert a cb to ten mtrs but exports are not allowed.A rci 2950 and 70 are on the list.And also they are poping people right and left,they figure it is a way to bring money into the organization.They had cut backs in funding so go and get it they figure.73s de JW

Well they figured wrong. They lost the last two cases they brought and they are going to end up paying big bucks in attorney fees. Guys, the FCC is never going to win a court case against the Ranger radios. Stryker radios? Another story.

An illegal station has NO protection from interference from a LEGAL station exercising the privileges of his license. The rule that states that no station shall intentionally interfere with other signals simply assumes that the interference is coming from one LEGAL, licensed station to another LICENSED station. It does not imply, nor grant, protection to a station that has no durned business being there to start with.

I do believe that this means that if you, a legally licensed ham radio operator, were to encounter an unlicensed operator, you would not have to shift your conversation to accomodate the illegal operator. Assuming that you know the other operator is illegal. You NEVER have a right to transmit a signal just to interfere with another.

I checked this afternoon taking my old Ford to a parade at Circuit City and they told me don't even SELL CB radios. None in the local stores, at least. Now the clerk may have been mistaken but that was what I was told.

Sonwatcher, The 10 Meter radios that look like CB radios with the "band" switches are not legal to market. Period. Cobra can call them hog-calling radios if they want to and they will still be illegal. BTW, according to Mr Brock of the Dallas Field Office, there IS an investigation into these radios going on. He told me that over the phone. They also know about Stryker. They will act within their time and money restraints.

And my 706 DOES have a sticker that says "This device meets Part 15 regulations, etc, etc. Another part of it says, "This device must not be modified to receive cellphone frequencies (it won't anyway). Nothing about Part 95 or Part 97. You can bet that *if* the Cobra is not specifically on the "list", it WILL be soon. Each of the known "Amateur" 10 meter radios that are on the hit list IS illegal. The Cobras with "extree" bands is as well.

CWM

Could you please direct me to THE LIST? thank you.

Well they figured wrong. They lost the last two cases they brought and they are going to end up paying big bucks in attorney fees. Guys, the FCC is never going to win a court case against the Ranger radios. Stryker radios? Another story.

I think this point needs to be emphasized a little more---Every time the FCC ends up in court over this export/10 meter rule, THEY LOSE! This last tussle with Ranger was their second time getting beat like a drum by Jim Peng!

I would think if someone took an FT-757gx to court one could challenge the inconsistency of the "easily modified to transmit on CB frequencies" rule. It isn't a jumper or a wire but a single switch. The flipping of the switch enables one to transmit on 27mhz. This is considered a legal transceiver. I can't believe there isn't technology to keep 27mhz from being opened up to transmit. I would think that the rule would need to apply to all radios that are being marketed as Amateur transceivers to be a consistent rule . The HR2600 is on that list but it is said to require "major surgery" to expand freq. That doesn't seem to follow the "easily modified " rule but still is on the list . I agree that the Export radios are a problem in that many using them don't realize they are possibly transmitting in the 10m band but as for the rule itself I find it inconsistent in its application.

I would doubt an official list exists thats published, I searched the fcc website for ranger and galaxy and only found NAL's in the results

The official list is not published. It was prepared in 1999 and handed out to only a few select groups. It is not accurate because all Ranger radios have been redesigned to avoid falling within the definition of "easy to modify", i.e. cut one wire, connect one jumper, throw one switch to operate out of band. That is why the FCC has lost every court decision on the matter. If the FCC keeps pressing the matter and losing, you will someday see every truckstop carrying nothing but 10 meter Amateur radios.

I would think if someone took an FT-757gx to court one could challenge the inconsistency of the "easily modified to transmit on CB frequencies" rule. It isn't a jumper or a wire but a single switch. The flipping of the switch enables one to transmit on 27mhz. This is considered a legal transceiver. I can't believe there isn't technology to keep 27mhz from being opened up to transmit. I would think that the rule would need to apply to all radios that are being marketed as Amateur transceivers to be a consistent rule . The HR2600 is on that list but it is said to require "major surgery" to expand freq. That doesn't seem to follow the "easily modified " rule but still is on the list . I agree that the Export radios are a problem in that many using them don't realize they are possibly transmitting in the 10m band but as for the rule itself I find it inconsistent in its application.

The rules will never be consistently applied because most of the people in the FCC pushing the matter are also licensed Amateurs. Non Amateurs in the FCC could care less about this issue. Further, the guy who instigated this whole mess, Gary Hendrickson (a hardore Amateur himself), admitted at his deposition that the only reason they went after the Ranger radios, rather than Yaesu, Kenwood, etc., is because they are cheaper radios, so more likely to be bought by freebanders. The FCC people with knowledge on the subject know that this whole enforcement action is based on false premises. They just don't want to spend the time and money pursuing the people that are really violating the rules, i.e those transmitting on 10 meter without a license and those transmitting on frequencies in the freeband. The FCC could care less if people use 10 meter Amateur equipment on the CB, because with all the other garbage going on, a few extra watts of power is insignificant.

The official list is not published. It was prepared in 1999 and handed out to only a few select groups. It is not accurate because all Ranger radios have been redesigned to avoid falling within the definition of "easy to modify", i.e. cut one wire, connect one jumper, throw one switch to operate out of band. That is why the FCC has lost every court decision on the matter. If the FCC keeps pressing the matter and losing, you will someday see every truckstop carrying nothing but 10 meter Amateur radios.
Would those in that group include non-licensed cb operators , tax payers?

10 Meter radios and Circuit City

The cobra 150 and 200 are not CB Radios. They are 10 meter radios, and ARE exempt from the FCC tag for type acceptance. They are legal to sell, as long as they are represented as such.

It is my belief that the radio was made only to be converted to 11 meters just as Galaxy and Magnum radios are. This should prove interesting.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.