• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Retailers Breakin the Law?

I hope that this is not mistaken for name calling as this is just an assumption :idea: on my part. But I think CWM is really an eleven meter operator that goes by the name AGITATOR. :p :p Does a very good job too. :twisted: :twisted: Again this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Even if I'm wrong I think he fits the bill.

FCC cannot arbitrarily say, "OK, we will just expand 20 channels up and 20 channels down.

CW,
If that is the case why was there talk originally when expanding CB to 40 of possibly going higher at the time ?

1st Jan 1977
More CB channels added - there was talk of having 99 channels up to 27.995 but it was decided not to allow a span of more than 440kHz - to prevent intermod breakthrough to any 455kHz receiver Intermediate Frequency stages. The business band lost 27.23 - 27.41, to new CB channels 24 to 40. Channels 24 and 25 filled in the reclaimed gap between 22 and 23 (which is why the order is strange), and channels 26 to 40 continued from 27.265 to 27.405 - by coincidence the first two decimal places match the channel number. The five newer model freqs are now part of an allocation from 26.96 to 27.28 . In the USA, channel 23 is still the "Blue" model channel.

Hey All....

with all this talk..
i thought the New Cobra 200
that it is extremly difficult to modify to return back down to the 11 meter band..

Or is this not so

Later

chipotle said:
There are no restrictions on the sale of 10 meter amplifiers in Canada. If you disagree, show me the "Part 97" for Canada. Canada only outlaws the use on 11 meters. But has no restrictions on the sale.

Oh I agree.There is no such ban on 10m amps in Canada.That is an FCC issue and does not apply up here.I just wish you would see more manufacturers of real amateur amps make something that would cruise along at 2500 watts output all day long.I realize that the BIG market is in the USA but the limit there is 1500 watts pep.Up here it is a bit more complicated then that.For a carrier type emmision,CW,AM,or FM it is 750 watts unmodulated.For SSB it is 2250 watts pep.That means that for AM we can run 750 dead carrier and modulate it to peaks of 3000 watts.I only see a couple amps that will do that,the QRO Technologies 2500DX Mark 3 and an Emtron model.So just how many Cobra 450 XL's would I need to combine to get 3000 watts pep of CLEAN signal anyway? :roll: LOL

Sonwatcher said:
FCC cannot arbitrarily say, "OK, we will just expand 20 channels up and 20 channels down.

CW,
If that is the case why was there talk originally when expanding CB to 40 of possibly going higher at the time ?

1st Jan 1977
More CB channels added - there was talk of having 99 channels up to 27.995 but it was decided not to allow a span of more than 440kHz - to prevent intermod breakthrough to any 455kHz receiver Intermediate Frequency stages. The business band lost 27.23 - 27.41, to new CB channels 24 to 40. Channels 24 and 25 filled in the reclaimed gap between 22 and 23 (which is why the order is strange), and channels 26 to 40 continued from 27.265 to 27.405 - by coincidence the first two decimal places match the channel number. The five newer model freqs are now part of an allocation from 26.96 to 27.28 . In the USA, channel 23 is still the "Blue" model channel.

Don't know. But I know for a FACT that there ARE military allocations up there (DEFINITELY below channel 1), so that in itself would have put a stop to it. Perhaps, NTIA had a hand in that as well. The public doesn't hear much about NTIA-which is why everybody thinks FCC is the ONLY communications regulator. Truth is, we will never know if that is the reason or if it was quashed internally. After all, the intermod argument, while valid, could been a cover for the real reason. Which reason would be more palatable to the public--a tecnical reason or "you can't have them channels because the government 'needs' 'em? :D If anyone is good at "spin", it is the good old US gov't! :shock: :p

There was also talk of putting CB on 220 MHZ, which of course, caused the hams to howl. Nevermind that 220 wasn't all *that* popular. This was during the wild expansion of CB in the 70's. Looking back, I wish they HAD put it on 220 (in some ways). After all, we lost some of it anyway.

The demand for spectrum is always there. Riley H himself made a comment that is probably true if not "official". He said that 27 MHZ CB is probably best left alone because it is easier to contain it there. What if, for example, you had CBers up on VHF with huge amps, putting in "extra" channels indescriminately, and erecting huge antenna arrays? You could have taxis not able to taxi, airplanes not able to "plane", police not able to police, and so on. He (and any knowledgeable radio person) would cringe at the thought of THOUSANDS of untrained, undisciplined "reddio" operators just plopping down on "th' channel" with no idea, or care, of what the blazes they were doing. The good (and tempting) part of it would be none of that skip that is so dear to CBer's hearts--or very little of it.
There would be no need for mileage limits as the technical aspects of VHF would take care of that. More people could be on the air at the same time without bothering others. VHF also has a capture effect that causes signals to either override the other, or to cancel BOTH signals out. Good thing? Or would it cause the "I gotta be bigger" syndrome and make for bigger and bigger amps (dangerous because of the effects of RF at higher frequencies). Already there are people on other forums discussing how to install external antennas to FRS sets, and how to increase power.

Perhaps, as tempting as it would be to us that would LIKE to see CB kinda die away in favor of better options, it is better to just leave it be technically and politically. That box is already ripped wide open, but one thing is pretty certain: it AIN'T gettin' nuttin else. :D ...........At least, on 27 MHZ. :)

CWM

Already there are people on other forums discussing how to install external antennas to FRS sets, and how to increase power.

Oh...we can cover that topic here too.... :p :p heheheh

Moleculo said:
I don't disagree with you CWM about the fact that the NTIA has jurisdiction over FEMA. The conflict that I see is that FEMA purchased radios from a civilian business that is governed by the FCC's rules saying that the civilian business may not market or sell the product in the U.S. In my mind, if FEMA wanted those radios, fine...who cares...but they should have purchased them through a channel that doesn't put the business in a position of breaking the law that the business is bound by. The problem here is that FEMA is correct in their actions, but the business is always wrong. Even my mom taught me when I was a little boy that a Right combined with a Wrong, is always Wrong.

Another thing...none of this is hearsay because it came directly from the source that sold the radios.

It may be possible that selling to a government agency is not the same as seilling at retail to ordinary people. After all, that's why they call those radios "export" in the first place.

I think everyone agrees that the rule means that no indivicual sales at retail comes under the "sale" rule. And every agrees that FEMA isn't under FCC control and FCC rules don't apply to it. The question is, did FEMA cause the dealer in question to violate the rule? Is selling something to the government that cannot be sold to retail sales violate a rule? Is the dealer legally covered under FEMA's legal exemption here?

I'm sure that somewhere in case law, policy, legal rulings in the past, there's something that said it's okay to sell to the government things not allowed to be sold to retail public. There IS one thing. Any government agency may buy unblakced scanners that receive cellphones. Normal people can't buy them but its apparently okay for a government to buy em. Does this apply to 10 meter radios that are not legal to sell in the USA? I don't know.

My impression from all the reading I did the other day regarding NTIA jurisdiction is that it was totally legal for a dealer to sell to a gornment agency something not available to the general publi, that the exemption of an agency goes to the exemption by a dealer too. but only for that one instance. But I am not a lawyer and my impression could be wrong.

I just really don't know....BUT.... Its NOT illegal to sell them (10 M) Just ILLEGAL to convert for 11 M.

Its not ILLEGAL for a regular Joe / Jane to buy a HAM radio of any sorts, and use it to MONITOR, as long as he / she doesn't transmit .

Probally why COBRA decided to make the conversion process where you have to move the SMD resisitor you just removed up a space or you won't be able to transmit.

HUMMMMM, I wonder what other EVILL plots awaits?!?!? :naughty

rachet_jaw said:
I just really don't know....BUT.... Its NOT illegal to sell them (10 M) Just ILLEGAL to convert for 11 M.

Its not ILLEGAL for a regular Joe / Jane to buy a HAM radio of any sorts, and use it to MONITOR, as long as he / she doesn't transmit .

Probally why COBRA decided to make the conversion process where you have to move the SMD resisitor you just removed up a space or you won't be able to transmit.

HUMMMMM, I wonder what other EVILL plots awaits?!?!? :naughty

*Certain* ones ARE illegal to import or sell to the public. The ones that are illegal are on a FCC list specifically naming each radio that is illegal--such as Galaxy 99V, or even the Cobra 150-200 series (Yup! They added them!). If it don't have that little certification sticker, it ain't legal.

CWM

And for a follow up, the FCC is cutting back staff and offices that focus on questionable type radios and the like concerning amatuer radio. AKA they dont take the laws that they made very seriously anymore.

I call the FCC on this

And for a follow up, the FCC is cutting back staff and offices that focus on questionable type radios and the like concerning amatuer radio. AKA they dont take the laws that they made very seriously anymore.
Topic,all the radios that are allowed are on the list of rec.trans. They said if it isnt on the list it is not for sale in the United States.You can convert a cb to ten mtrs but exports are not allowed.A rci 2950 and 70 are on the list.And also they are poping people right and left,they figure it is a way to bring money into the organization.They had cut backs in funding so go and get it they figure.73s de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.