• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Retro 75- Anybody built one?

RickC.

Hopeless antenna junkie
Mar 30, 2009
Alabama
It's almost not low band AM season now, but I am really tempted to get one of these and build it.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I haven't built the kit, yet. However, I've got one ordered, and will let you know what I think when it gets in and I put it together. It doesn't look to be that difficult to build, so I should be able to comment further in a couple of days.

AC5CH

Hey thanks for the links and let me know when that Mississippi 75r is on the air, I'll listen for it.

...driving a pair of 807s, would that not be cool?

Hmmmm.... wonder how stable and linear a little KL 203 would be at 3885? I assume they use a broadband transformer and not a tuned circuit on the output, maybe someone could confirm/deny that.

Anyway, I've had my hands full with work this year and for some reason just became aware of this little rig a couple of days ago. I have not visited amphone since I was working on my old Ranger a couple of years ago, but I'll scan through the posts there.

There's a very active AM group here in the SE US, though I have not checked in on the Tuesday evening net in a couple of years. My little IC-718 has gotten surprisingly good reports from the SE AM club bunch, and I'm told the ICM/compression at 25W carrier sounds very good, and I will sometimes feed that into my old SB 200 for 125W carrier. The Valiant/HT37/HT44/Collins crew seem to like it.

This is an intriguing idea. I hate it when I run into those.

Rick

It's almost not low band AM season now, but I am really tempted to get one of these and build it.

Rick

That looks interesting. That would make a nice little project,throw in a pair of 807's or similar after it and it would make a nice little 50 watt rig.

Well after looking at that little rig some more I have decided to go to the post office Tuesday morning, it's closed until then with Monday being a holiday up here, and get a money order off to Small Wonder Labs for one of those. I probably won't do anything with it until the fall and it would make a nice little project for then. I also have a pair of NOS National 811A's that I forgot all about that would make a nice pair of finals for it. I see it comes with XTALS for 3880 and 3885 but I would want one for 3735 as well as we use that one up here on Sunday mornings.

Always glad to be a bad influence!

There's a link on the site to a guy who has other xtals. That little rig is on my list also for this year but it'll have to be later-- I have way too much going on right now, unfortunately.

I would wait until he had the cabinet for it anyway (next month) as I don't have any cool old radios like a Two'er to house it in.

Good deal! Let me know how it goes.

Rick

Seems this design could be made to serve 10 or 11 meters AM.
Tank circuits and low-pass filter could be retuned.
The SA602 mixer has no problem to run on higher frequencies.
But the variable L.O. would need to be changed to a DDS, along with the crystals replaced to be fed by the same. Two channels is probably ok for 75M, but not on other bands. Perhaps a dds with lcd could increase cost by $30.
I am unsure about D1,D2,D3,D4 used to keep TX power out of mixer. Should be fine at such low power, but anything higher would need a real switch.

I haven't taken the time to look at the circuit. I can't see why anyone would want to put one of these on 27 MHz when you can buy brand new Uniden 510s for under $40. Someone probably will though...

Rick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.