• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RETUBED PHANTOM ARCING

Ok my friends. I wanted to let everyone who's been helping me know that I haven't given up.
On the contrary I can't wait to get back in there as this will be the final try.
Once the covers off it's staying that way until I get it right or with you advise decide it needs more help than I can give it.
In that case I'm going to send it out.
I'm confident this final go round will get it correct.
I've been so busy with Christmas shopping and other business related doings I haven't had the time to take care of it. Hopefully before or during the weekend the cover will come off and I'll get to sepirating the bottom part or the coil windings. Once that's done I'll tune it and check the capacitors mesh placement.
If I don't get it to mesh where I initially did after the first coil separation I'll slightly squeeze them back together and star from point A, by slight separating the.coil again.
If I get the proper mesh but still have lo output I'll assume replacing each 6lq6 with the best replacement I've got might be the way to go.
I'm going to do this over and over with the same replacement in each one of the nine original d&a tube sockets one at a time in hopes of finding a weak original 6lq6
I'm actually hoping once I get the capacitor to mesh as close to maximum capacitance the output will be where it supposed too be or close enough.
I'll post results then wait for y'all next advice. Once again thanks to everyone of you who've helped me with the first real diagnoses of a problem and hopefully repair of anything ive ever attempted. 73 and feeling optimistic I am.003.jpgThe way it looks.005.jpgHappy camper.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Did you ever get this going? Lots of good information here.
Yes. After reinstalling the original d&a 6lq6's and separating the coil about the width of a credit card I noticed that the tuning capacator did mesh more then before the coil was separated. After separating the coil a little more unfortunately the tuning capacitor went back to it's unmeshed position. I decided to leave it as it was. I didn't want to break that wire that's soldered to the coil. The amplifier works just fine the way it is. I haven't used it in a month as I like to switch back and forth between a few different sweep tube amplifiers I own. I'd have to say that the phantom is the cleanest (cosmetically) amp I own, and enjoy using more than any other. With 2 Watts dead key and 12 pep from my Madison I get close to 700 (after over coupling) Watts on AM, and the same on SSB. PS. The people who replied know their Amplifiers and the way they work. I'm glad my lack of knowledge and replies to my questions helped you (and hopefully others out.) 73's my friend.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.