• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rewire Motorola Professional Mic for CB use?

Depends on what you got. Did you look up the model #'s of the mics? Did you look st the spec sheet and find out if they are low impedance mics? Do you have a mic wiring diagram of those mics?

Need to find that stuff out. If they fall into the same specs as a CB ('low impedance') dynamic mic; then they may work well. If they are electret mics; then you can't use them on a CB. Motorola didn't make any junk- IIRC . . .

If you figure out how to do this, let me know. Motorola seems to have put a little effort into making their mics incompatible with other equipment. There are three problems with getting this to work on another radio. The mic is powered by the radio. To complicated issues, this power is the current flowing through the closed TX connections. Meaning when you place the preamp and mic element across the TX line, the radio transmits while this current powers the mic. Last, there are no contacts available to control a receiver.

There's a way to make these mics work on standard CB radios, but requires a relay to be installed in the radio. If you have some electronics savvy, and are good with a soldering iron, it can be done. I have wired in a few of these mics on some Cobra 148 GTL's a with good success in the past.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Funny, I was eyeballing one on the communication radio while riding a bus to the airport the other day. They sure look heavy duty, that's for sure.

RT307

Found this diagram for the mic. Looks like it requires voltage for the condenser mic element and circuit to operate.

hmn1052a.jpg

Any new info on this, or the new model 10 pin mics?
My buddys company is updating all their equipment and I may be able to get some of their throwaways.

There's a way to make these mics work on standard CB radios, but requires a relay to be installed in the radio. If you have some electronics savvy, and are good with a soldering iron, it can be done. I have wired in a few of these mics on some Cobra 148 GTL's a with good success in the past.

~Cheers~

Care to share the details? I'm looking to do the same thing as I'm lucky if i get 2 months out of a mic before the plastic POS clip breaks off in my Jeep.

Cobra 29 wx/nw/st...I've got the Pro series Motorola mic, All black and rounded not the chunky squared off one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.