1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

rewire Motorola Professional Mic for CB use?

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by freezy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. freezy

freezy Member

Hello new guy here. I have 3 Motorola professional radio microphones that I picked up at a garage sale. I believe the radio provides power to the microphone (electret?). I doubt i caN reuse these for cb, but I wanted a better opinion

2. Robb

Robb Yup

Depends on what you got. Did you look up the model #'s of the mics? Did you look st the spec sheet and find out if they are low impedance mics? Do you have a mic wiring diagram of those mics?

Need to find that stuff out. If they fall into the same specs as a CB ('low impedance') dynamic mic; then they may work well. If they are electret mics; then you can't use them on a CB. Motorola didn't make any junk- IIRC . . .

3. freezy

freezy Member

there were no spec sheets available. They were just 3 tangled mics i got for 50 cents. I will have to look closer tomorrow (later today?). I gotta go to work now.

4. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

If you figure out how to do this, let me know. Motorola seems to have put a little effort into making their mics incompatible with other equipment. There are three problems with getting this to work on another radio. The mic is powered by the radio. To complicated issues, this power is the current flowing through the closed TX connections. Meaning when you place the preamp and mic element across the TX line, the radio transmits while this current powers the mic. Last, there are no contacts available to control a receiver.

5. ExitThirteen

ExitThirteen Grumpy and Cranky

There's a way to make these mics work on standard CB radios, but requires a relay to be installed in the radio. If you have some electronics savvy, and are good with a soldering iron, it can be done. I have wired in a few of these mics on some Cobra 148 GTL's a with good success in the past.

~Cheers~

1 person likes this.
  6. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

Funny, I was eyeballing one on the communication radio while riding a bus to the airport the other day. They sure look heavy duty, that's for sure.

RT307

7. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

They usually are built like a brick.

8. freezy

freezy Member

model # HMN 1080A. It has a 6 conductor plug

9. Robb

Robb Yup

Found this diagram for the mic. Looks like it requires voltage for the condenser mic element and circuit to operate.

[​IMG]

10. freezy

freezy Member

I have 2 new motorola mics for sale. here on this site....really cheap.

this project is beyond my skill

11. 22racer

22racer Member

Any new info on this, or the new model 10 pin mics?
    My buddys company is updating all their equipment and I may be able to get some of their throwaways.

12. VE6SDG

VE6SDG W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Care to share the details? I'm looking to do the same thing as I'm lucky if i get 2 months out of a mic before the plastic POS clip breaks off in my Jeep.

13. ExitThirteen

VE6SDG,

What radio are you currently running in the Jeep? Give me a model, and I can assist from there.

~Cheers~

14. VE6SDG

VE6SDG W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Cobra 29 wx/nw/st...I've got the Pro series Motorola mic, All black and rounded not the chunky squared off one.

15. ExitThirteen

Ok, good, can you get the model number off the mic? I'll need that also. I'll look up the schematics for both the radio and mic, and go from there.

~Cheers~