• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rf meter problem on hr2510

O

ozarkjeep

last night I powered up the radio and the rf meter just pegged out at 9.

its not transmitting, and there is very little noise for me to think there is that much signal coming in, I shut it off and back on a few times and it did the samething

it still hears and talks fine, but the S meter is useless?

any ideas?

</p>

last night I powered up the radio and the rf meter just pegged out at 9.

its not transmitting, and there is very little noise for me to think there is that much signal coming in, I shut it off and back on a few times and it did the samething

it still hears and talks fine, but the S meter is useless?

any ideas?

</p>

You are sure its not transmitting on AM? and the RX is working or not?

There is a Problem associated with the two Piggyback Caps on the final that can cause that problem, but it makes the radio Dead Key on AM.

"Weird Dead key problem" is the term used to describe it.

the fix is to Unsolder One side of te 2 Disc Caps connected to the Final on the Underside of the PCB.

If there is No 'Dead Key' Then Check the Display PCB Caps.

Typically, Replace C502 (3.3 UF 50volt electrolytic cap).

I would also check C501 (4.7uf 50v) and C503(100uf 16v)

Roger

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rogerbird1>Rogerbird1</A> at: 3/27/04 4:20 am

You are sure its not transmitting on AM? and the RX is working or not?

There is a Problem associated with the two Piggyback Caps on the final that can cause that problem, but it makes the radio Dead Key on AM.

"Weird Dead key problem" is the term used to describe it.

the fix is to Unsolder One side of te 2 Disc Caps connected to the Final on the Underside of the PCB.

If there is No 'Dead Key' Then Check the Display PCB Caps.

Typically, Replace C502 (3.3 UF 50volt electrolytic cap).

I would also check C501 (4.7uf 50v) and C503(100uf 16v)

Roger

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rogerbird1>Rogerbird1</A> at: 3/27/04 4:20 am

Start with the simple thing, un-plug the display ( there is a cable that goes from the display to the CPU board ) and plug it back in to make sure you have a good connection. Along with all of the other things in the previous threads, you can
pull and check ( might as well replace) the 3 caps on the display board, they are getting old, they are C-501, C-502 and C-503.
C-501 is 50 Volt@ 4.7 uf
c-502 is 50 volt@ 3.3 uf
C-503 is 6.3 volt @ 100 uf
You can always go with a higher voltage rating and it will not hurt anything.

The CPU in the radio is what drives the display, .....but if the radio was working properly, and you switched it on and suddenly got nothing, I would start with the 3 caps.
Let us know.

Jeff

Last edited:
Revisiting this thread. I have four of these radios now. I have one that is got half the s meter lit up, in any mode, and meter position, RF, MOD, etc., tx/rx. I have a spare display and PCB, that is not it. replaced all the electrolytics on the cpu board, the 3 diode by the regulator. The regulator is good, the wiring is good, etc. I am at a loss now. It just stated doing it.

Anyone??

Still haven't figured out out. Out is not the cpu board, I have swapped it out and into another radio.

i need to get this fixed.

Try turning the RF Gain control all the way clockwise and controlling the volume with the volume control. I'm not at all familiar with your particular radio, but an S-meter reading constantly high is frequently a misadjusted RF Gain control.

Jeff,
I have subbed both the CPU board, and the meter display board. The problem persists any of them. Id didn't do it right away, it started intermittent, now it is doing it all the time. The recieve audio and signal is no more than another HR2510 with the same cables/antenna. Just the RF/S-meter reads at least half all the time. Moving the S-meter VR does nothing. I having really sat down and looked through the schematic to try and figure it out.

Seems to be on the main board somewhere. What cabling I can swap out was also swapped out. :censored: The main board also has almost all the electrolytic caps replaced save for 3 or 4. I am at a loss here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.