• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF shutting my truck down

Hitman 043

May 22, 2006
I have a 97 GMC YUKON with a 5.7 vortec motor.
The problem is when I run over 1500 bird watts my truck starts spitting and farting and wil shut down even when I work the gas to keep it running.
At 2000 bird watts I have about 3/4 of a watt reflect, so that tells me that reflect is not an issue.
I wrapped the computer in foil tape and that helped a little bit but I still have the same issue.
Oh yeah, I have DaveMade euipment only in my short tail suburban.

HELP somebody

Hitman 043

I use a Davemade 8pill w/2sc2879's Driven by a 3pill (2-2sc2879 driven by 1-2sc2290) or
Davemade 16pill w/ 2sc2879's Driven by a 2(2290's) hitting 4(2879's).
I run a 400amp motormaul on the main box, and the driver on the trucks charging system (250amp replacement alt.)

I have a 97 GMC YUKON with a 5.7 vortec motor.
The problem is when I run over 1500 bird watts my truck starts spitting and farting and wil shut down even when I work the gas to keep it running.
At 2000 bird watts I have about 3/4 of a watt reflect, so that tells me that reflect is not an issue.
I wrapped the computer in foil tape and that helped a little bit but I still have the same issue.
Oh yeah, I have DaveMade euipment only in my short tail suburban.

HELP somebody

Hitman 043

Don't run that much power..............

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Have you ever thought about what that much RF does to your brain, or other parts of your body, for that matter? Look it up sometime...you might be unpleasantly surprised. But...to each his own.

Reactions: Eldorado828
It's very basically a matter of keeping one 'system' from getting into and interfering with another 'system'. Everything has limits dealing with how a particular 'system' is designed. Sounds like you've reached your truck's 'system' limits. There are ways of extending those 'limits', just depends on how much time/cost/trouble you want to go to. The simplest method is to just don't run any more power than allows 'things' to act naturally. Or, swap vehicles? (That assumes that both 'systems' are as 'right' as possible to start with.) Great choices, huh?
- 'Doc

I had a 91 S-10 Chevy pickup that I bought new.I gained a 350 watt Texas Star kicker that I installed in the truck and was running into the same trouble.I took the truck to the dealer that I bought it from and asked a mechanic/tech in their shop.When I keyed the mic the truck died on the spot.The tech informed me that I very well could scramble the computer in the truck.

I asked the tech how much power that I could run,he told me that about 150 was the limit.So I traded the 350 watt for a 100 watt kicker and had no trouble for 3 years afterwards till I totaled the truck

I would say get a smaller kicker.Drop to about half that power for starters and if it continues,keep dropping the power till the problem cures itself.

The computers for that truck are around 2000$ to replace

8pill w/2sc2879's Driven by a 3pill

Ok, Not sure you are gonna like this answer, But if I wanted to run this set up, I would run a dual final radio into the 8 pill.....Yes you are going to see lower peak numbers, but the 1 driving two is most likely making a lot of trashy RF, and the 8 pill is just taking that and making it worse. If you do the 16, a 2 or a 4 into the 16 will be a lot cleaner. This is what I would do, I have never liked 1x2s or 2x4s....I don`t even like 1x4s I have had and seen RFI problems with all of them.
Less drive, means less IMD, and a cleaner signal.
Aside from that, as has already been said, shield everything, any were rf can get in is a trouble spot, but if you can clean up the signal, it is half the battle.

Jeff

Have you ever thought about what that much RF does to your brain, or other parts of your body, for that matter? Look it up sometime...you might be unpleasantly surprised. But...to each his own.

Would this RF be just as bad for an amateur as well as a plain old CB'er? Isn't the legal limit some where around that same amount? Do amateurs think about this?

Would this RF be just as bad for an amateur as well as a plain old CB'er? Isn't the legal limit some where around that same amount? Do amateurs think about this?

I know you're trying to make that a rhetorical question, but I really think you don't know the answer to that question, so I will answer it for the benefit of those that don't know.

The Maximum Permissible Exposure limits are established by the FCC as a guideline for RF Safety for exposure to humans. They are guidelines and not absolutes.

MPE limits ARE frequency specific. This is because different wavelengths and frequencies affect the body in different ways. Here are a few exerpts from the table which shows the minumium safe distance from a 0dBi antenna at a 1500 watt PEP level, assuming a 6 minute exposure time:

Freq Safe Distance
4MHz 0.8 meter
7MHz 1.3 meters
14Mhz 2.6 meters
29Mhz 5.5 meters

And it gets worse the higher in frequency you go. So yes, Amateurs do think about this.

Reactions: 928bolo
At VHF/UHF frequencies, I use a Roman helmet thingy. The 'comb' on top made of a chimney cleaning brush (dissipates static), silver plated for better conductivity, and a trailing wire to ground. For really high power levels, I add one of them fencing masks, looks sort of like a coladar(sp)? Small 'STP' sticker to make stuff better.
Works for me...
- 'Doc

Always approach commercial and military aircraft from the sides or from the rear. Never know when the idiot left the radar on.

Reactions: Slowmover
Sounds like your getting rf on the power wires.You need to run a choke on the wires both - and +.You should also choke off the antenna at the base of the antenna.Couple turns of the coax or ferrites.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.