• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM ITALY AD-203 problems

Buzzard78945

Feb 8, 2020
Ok so I purchased this brand new stinger board installed it on a perfectly working Cobra 25 crystal clear output never been modified

I don’t have much more output...
The radio factory dead keyed 2 watts swings 4

so I installed a “swing kit” which I really don’t like doing set it up 3 watt dead key swings 15 watts

( this is peak power not RMS and I have a dosy not a bird so everyone take these numbers with a grain of salt I KNOW ITS A DOSY )

With stinger board on I’m keying 10 watts swinging 30 watts

Am I doing it wrong?

I followed the instructions perfectly
Installed board in between output of radio to antenna jack, grounded the shield to the heat sink, installed a 10amp fuse

what am I missing?
Does this board need to be installed on a radio with 30watt swing to get 80-100 watts out of it?

I was under the assumption the stinger board was meant to be installed on a cobra

Sounds like a DUD! But I have no experience with these RM's

David

well I bought 2 so I may try installing one on my DX55HP it’s a duel final radio so ima have to turn it down

It’s not adjusting the dead key right now I have to fix it first

Might have killed it. Over here they're regarded as 4W input.

no i had that radio first fired off the stinger with 2 watt key and 4 watt swing didnt get hardly nothing much more out with board turned on so i installed swing kit to radio... im just bout to take up knitting im just so done.... sometimes i feel like i cant fix a sandwich

i have like 4 radios with problems i just cant seem to get ahead

I haven't been on the forum much. I've been tied up with covid related things in the family so responsibilities had to shift as you would know family first.

Now to the topic....
I'm done with this president Richard I purchased about a couple of months back, it does what it's supposed to do but it just isn't a big talker so I figured I'd just build my own radio this time.
I'm going with a 29 chrome, ad203, nomads variable dk, eb-2015 echo (because I like a hint of echo) and a custom faceplate from gamma Ray graphics to make it all look right.. Suggestions are welcome for this add on amp board as it'll be my first to install. What should I expect to run into? I see you fellas have had to add a swing kit to make them come alive and I've never much been a fan of those kits. Is it necessary from your experience to have the swing kit in order to make the 203 reach its potential?

You fellas advice is truly appreciated

Ps. Feels good to be able to check in to the forum again, helps keep the mind off of the covid stuff...

Reactions: Slowmover
Properly installed tuned and aligned it should work just fine. Why not get a radio that sounds great and then run a small 100-200 watt amplifier? Those Stinger boards can be a pain in the rear some times and they run hot.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Stinger boards are good for bleeding your echo board or noise toy and causing it to squeal.

There's a reason factory-installed amplifier boards come with a metal shield cover over them.

Stray rf and shielding both crossed my mind early on in the daydreaming of this.

Properly installed tuned and aligned it should work just fine. Why not get a radio that sounds great and then run a small 100-200 watt amplifier? Those Stinger boards can be a pain in the rear some times and they run hot.

I don't want an amplifier and the radio cubby in my t880 only allows so much room for a radio. Building my own 29 in theory would work along with the sense of accomplishment.

Reactions: Slowmover
Stray rf and shielding both crossed my mind early on in the daydreaming of this.

I don't want an amplifier and the radio cubby in my t880 only allows so much room for a radio. Building my own 29 in theory would work along with the sense of accomplishment.

Hope things are better at home.

There’s not space adjacent to the tray?
Using 1’ or 3’ jumpers is how I connect devices in the 579.

I’m going to mount a GALAXY DX-86v before Monday (partly so I can go back to using the console faceplate) and there may be [2] devices from radio to truck end of coax.

The first jumper just goes off from radio towards starboard.
Devices velcroed once best routing established.

Only “weirdness” remaining (till I figure a new route) will be coax from the starboard door curb-mirror mount thru the window.

My real concern is heat. It may get too hot behind the faceplate with nothing but a radio installed.

The console faceplate has a bezel I’ll likely modify.
Maybe just a series of 1/2” holes.

Hope things are okay with your family!

Don’t believe that hokum. Disinfo.

He’s finalizing his bid on Rancho Mesa Vista.

Boone, his ol’ huntin’ buddy kicked it a few days ago.

Everyone knew that was comin’, so 828’s had all
sorts of Philadelphia lawyers and that ilk at the hacienda,
busy, busy, busy.

100 square-miles along the south bank of the Canadian River, boys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.