• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy KL200 vs KL203

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
Any benefit of getting the KL200 over the KL203. If I understand the specs the KL200 is bipolar transistor and the KL203 is MOSFET. Both are fused with a 12 amp fuse. Just looking to get close to 100watts that sound fair. Never really used SSB that much have guys in Morgantown,WV that do 38 LSB. Only SSB capable radio I have is a Texas Ranger FD-1 I use as a base. Last amp I had was a Palomar 350 black box. Sold it about 10 years ago lack of use. It went to a good home.

Last edited:

Any benefit of getting the KL200 over the KL203. If I understand the specs the KL200 is bipolar transistor and the KL203 is MOSFET. Both are fused with a 12 amp fuse. Just looking to get close to 100watts that sound fair. Never really used SSB that musch have guys in Morgantown,WV that do 38 LSB. Only SSB capable radio I have is a Texas Ranger FD-1 I use as a base. Last amp I had was a Palomar 350 black box. Sold it about 10 years ago lack of use. It went to a good home.

Can’t give an opinion on the Kl200, but I can agree with all the fanfare the kl203 gets when paired with a 12w rig. It’s a great - and exceptionally affordable - option.

What are the power transistors in a KL-203 or KL-203p amplifier? I thought it was a pair of SD1446's, but someone said mosfets???

Yes, N-channel mosfets. They call them RM3, but ordinary IRF520 will work too, but little lower output.

Oh wow, that's crappy. A friend has one, and he sent me a schematic, it showed SD1446's, but it was not in the box with his amp, it was something he downloaded online. I was wondering why only 100W output, a pair of SD1446's good for 150W or more and will take more than 4W drive (in a pair).

Schematics are available to download from manufacturer website.

Yeah whatever I saw was something from Amazon that had a schematic with it, showed a 2 x SD1446 amp. Maybe that was an older like KL-203 without the P, hell I don't know. I have never owned a RM Italy amp. Worked on a KLV-500 or whatever it's called once, many years ago for a guy, base amp, 28V or 50V transistors. Never messed with any of their 12V stuff. So the KL-203P is really the same thing as a Stinger AD-203 board?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.