• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM ITALY Station 550 Linear Amp, Any body familiar?

Hi folks, I just purchased a (RM Italy Station 550 linear amp) used. I have just again got back into C.B. last time back in the 80's my question is will this amp work on C.B. frequencies I think cb is 11 meter? I have no paper work or anything that went with this amp. I just spent a couple hundred dollars on this and the previous owner just said I don't know if it will work on those frequencies "oh boy" I know it will put out 350 watts on AM and of course SSB quite a bit more and it seems to require at the very least 14 watts to excite it to key up and the previous owner did give the output at 25 watts to 35 watts in to get even higher numbers out. I did try to get it to kick on with my Cobra 148GTL as a Base station on am 4 watts dead key with audio swing at 7 to 8 watts and it would not key up on AM it did though kick in on SSB when the audio on my 148 peaked which is around 17, 18 watts and with the amps delay on SSb you could keep it keyed up as long as my audio would keep peaking. Now I do have a RM Italy KL-35 which will do 35 watts or better. If I turn my power down on my 148 to a watt and a half or so my KL-35 should put out 20 to 25 watts which I then could use to drive this Station 550. This base amp 550 is solid state with built in power supply and is about the size of a small toaster oven and very heavy I do not know what year it was made and it seems they have stopped making this amp and have one now called KLV-550. I am no tech and have no radio shops any where near me and I am the only CB base station in my county. I am very grateful for this site and all the help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated! Thanks...Jeff

Last edited:

I recently got one too. It was brand new and the guy that I bought it from moved a jumper to let it work on 27mhz (CB) for me. Mine keys up on AM with my deadkey at 1.5 watts. You don't want to drive it with much or you will blow it out. Sounds like there might be a problem with yours. The SSB is really scratchy on these units and I am going to have to modifiy it.

This will tell you about the problem:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amplifiers/37274-klv-550-a.html

I recently got one too. It was brand new and the guy that I bought it from moved a jumper to let it work on 27mhz (CB) for me. Mine keys up on AM with my deadkey at 1.5 watts. You don't want to drive it with much or you will blow it out. Sounds like there might be a problem with yours. The SSB is really scratchy on these units and I am going to have to modifiy it.

This will tell you about the problem:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amplifiers/37274-klv-550-a.html
What he said, i have one.

This is jvergot AKA headjammer i had 3 KLV550 amps and they are great. The conversion to 11 meter is a jumper to be moved to another set of pins can't remember which ones, however i would recommend soldering a jumper as the jumper that is furnished sometimes doesn't make good contact.I don't think you can go wrong with the 550.

Resurrection time...

I have a local wanting to sell one of these. Is this an older model replaced by the KLV-550 or is it still in production.

His sounds good on SSB so far. I don't think it's all that old, must have bias issue fixed.

Is the KL model a replacement for the Station 550?

I was wondering if the Station model is junky on SSB or something.

Last I knew KL was RM's designation for their mobile amps and KLV was their Base amp line.The KLV-550 and the Station 550 appear to be the same.

Reactions: Shadow 804

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated