• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy stinger on a variable pot

If the radio works fine in the car/truck and then when moved indoors it has a problem, then the power supply is defective or too small to run the radio.
What size is the jpower supply?
How many Amps is it rated for?
A Indoor power supply converts 120 volt AC into 12 volt DC.
They have limits on how many amps they put out depending on different models.
If it is too small It can not supply enough current for your radio to work properly.
A stock cobra 29 should not draw a lot of power.

Jeff

Instead of making another post, I’ll try and resurrect this one to save from spamming.

I installed an rm Italy stinger board today in a bearcat 880. It was a straightforward install. Swings to almost 100 watts when powered on. I put the radio all back together after I verified it walked and talked. Not too long thereafter, my meter never swung but I had receive. This happened with the amp on or off.
No modulation to speak of. Then it came back on it’s own.

I thought what the heck? I took it apart and made sure nothing was touching, I have all the room in the world inside that radio thanks to all the surface mount technology. Put it back together and it was back to swinging 100, and about 10 watts with the stinger turned off.

Later in the day, I noticed I had massive power spikes. One minute I’m swinging 100 watts, next minute I’m swinging 20. Now that’s all I get with the amp on. One either meter I use. But the locals say,I drop off big time when I turn it off. Changing meters don’t matter.

I thought I needed to put heavier power wires on the stinger board so I upgraded them,,,,, but the problem still persists. So far, since doing that, I have not lost all modulation again like I did earlier. But actually now that I think of it, when the amplifier is turned off it’s just passed through so power wires shouldn’t have anything to do with it. . I could understand that being a problem when the amp is on but not when it’s off.

I’m just wondering if anybody runs across this problem if they’ve ever dealt with the situation before on what I could check. There’s not too much to these stingerboards, just two coaxial connections and the power wire and then the switch to turn it on and off.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.