1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocketbox info thread !!! Made in the USA with a reasonable pricetag !

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by WINKDOGG, Nov 30, 2019.

?

Would you like to build you own Rocketbox linear from a kit ??

1. Hell yeah !

38.9%
  2. No thanks I can wait and pay extra for Rockets assembly time.

11.1%
  3. More Junk! NO THANKS!

50.0%
  1. WINKDOGG

WINKDOGG Your Long Distance Radio Friend Four-Two-Zero NJ

Hello DX land , I contacted Rocketbox to get some info on the amplifiers ! For those who don't know Rocketbox is a one man show building his amps in the USA in Las Vegas . It was hard for me to find info because his only contact info is currently on Facebook only . He had a website but is too busy building these heaters to keep up with it so I offered to post some info here and Im waiting for more pics and info to spread the word !

He sent me a pic of the HD-500 with the hood open and I grabbed some more pics from his Facebook and the web ! I also asked him about selling his amps in kit form but when he did sell kits people kept returning them with fried parts so he stopped . He does use surface mount components so not a project for beginners, but if he puts together a COMPLETE kit with instructions and a build video series (I offered to do the build video series as well help with some step by step instructions) I think lots of us would buy these amps in kit form with no warranty . This way he saves a ton of time and gets more of his amps inline while we save money doing our own builds . The only warranty I would expect is that the parts list be complete and no DOA components , so hopefully he will ship me a kit to build up !! I would really enjoy doing the build and sharing the videos to help others build their own boxes

More pics and info to come as I get it , If anyone has anything they would like info about let me know and I will do my best to answer or ask Rocket for you !

For the record I do not know Rocket or Rocketbox , I just saw the board design for the XL1000 and got interested and I decided to spread the word and get us some more info ! You can buy the 250 and the HD500 right now on eBay . The XL1000 is built and in the final stages of audio tuning so I asked for some internal pics of that too , for now we have a shot of the HD500 with the lid off !!

73's Stay tuned for the latest updates and info , I will keep the thread alive until Rocketbox gets his website back up and running or joins the forum to share on his own .

Thanks , Brian 4-2-Zero in New Jersey

042 - Copy.JPG 050 - Copy.JPG 054 - Copy.JPG 056 - Copy.JPG 058 - Copy.JPG 060 - Copy.JPG 062 - Copy.JPG 064 - Copy.JPG 066 - Copy.JPG

2. 2NC995

2NC995 WDX995 / DAN

I would build an amp from a kit...but not one with SMDs.

WINKDOGG and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  3. 2NC995

2NC995 WDX995 / DAN

Which amplifier is in the first photo?

Is that 2 driving 4?

WINKDOGG and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  4. WINKDOGG

That's the HD-500 (Im ordering this week :)) its a straight 6 high drive !

5. WINKDOGG

10-4 I hear you but work with smds isn't as bad as most people think ;) (with good lighting ,a good soldering iron , steady hand and good vision lol)

The smds are actually easier in my opinion if you have a steady hand and a tiny tip on a high wattage iron . I dab flux on the pads and the components will actually stick in that tiny swipe flux and you juts flow solder off the tiny tip and touch it for a second . I love solder work and re-work with full size components too but if you have the right tip and iron take apart an old cell phone and give them a chance the smds will surprise you . I really was worried about ever touching one until I gave it a shot .

73's

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  6. WINKDOGG

Let me correct myself !! This is the low drive 2 Driving 4 but its the same board he uses to build the HD-500 he just cuts out the driver stage on the HD . Sorry Im just the middle man here haha I That's the LD500-MOS

7. WINKDOGG

You got it buddy ! That's actually the LD500-MOS low drive ! Its the same board as the HD-500 he just bypasses the driver section on the HD sorry about that !

2NC995 likes this.
  8. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Sr. Member

What's the price?

WINKDOGG and L2 like this.
  9. WINKDOGG

He isn't selling kits right now only built amps but im ordering the HD500 this week to take it for a spin !! Im personally interested in a kit myself so hopefully if I get him some sales he will box me up some kits lol ! I did ask and he has sold them in the past but he had problems with returns . I say mark the board "kit version" and no warranty except no DOA or missing parts ! I have built a few 1 and 2 pill kits but they were really like paint by the numbers and they also don't include a lot of the things you need to actually COMPLETE THE AMP . You need to provide a heatsink , enclosure , switches , relays etc etc so most guys don't have all that laying around (I have a bit of hoarder in me so I do lol ) but the COMPLETE kit would really be great !

Brian

10. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Sr. Member

Wink,

Read all that in the other thread....how much for the completed linear? I'm interested. I just refuse to Fakebook ever since being blackballed by those liberal fascist freaks for my American Conservative Constitutional views.

How much for a built 500?

S&W357 and WINKDOGG like this.
  11. WINKDOGG

Yeah I find Facebook an absolutely horrible part of my life but it actually a big part of my business and the band that I manage for my buddy .Am evil necessity for me it sucks !

But anyway sorry lol

the 2x4 Is $439 the straight 4 is only $359 I prefer to run my own 2 pill driver so that's how im going .

Brian

12. 2NC995

2NC995 WDX995 / DAN

How much drive do they say that thing takes? I was thinking dual final radio territory?

WINKDOGG likes this.
  13. dave457

dave457 Sr. Member

WD... sounds like a dealer... Shouldn't this thread be in the for sale section?

WINKDOGG likes this.
  14. WINKDOGG

Straight up buddy Im just an interested party . I will be paying full price like everybody else . Rocket is trying to logon but cant verify email for some reason .I just reached out to him and started talking to him .

Sorry , Brian

15. WINKDOGG

Ill wait for Rocketbox to answer that until everybody believes im not a sales man .

Sorry Brother