• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ROGER BEEPS

LoneWolf TN

Apr 2, 2005
Does anyone know where one can find unique, "one of a kind" roger beeps? I am looking for something totally different and rare - kinda' like me. :LOL: ;)

LoneWolf TN

Well Copper sells a multi tone I think 5 tone? roger beep. Its not unique UNTIL you you get inside and start turning the tone pods :D

f

Hammer, the 5 tone roger k beep can be adjusted to sorta' make your own unique sound?? Also, do these roger beeps come with installation instructions?

LoneWolf TN

yes indeed they can, atleast the one I got from copper did and it was SIMPLE to install with good directions

I'm not gonna spoil the party by bad-mouthing rotten directions. Maybe Copper is packing an instruction sheet that's an improvement over the "universal" Roger-K/Five-Tone sheet I'm used to seeing. Sure would be nice, because the sheet that Workman has packed with theirs is, well, I'll be nice and not say any more.

i will point out one objective issue about these. They do not have a relay on board. This is no big deal if you have a radio that receives okay with NO mike plugged in. That's the issue, a radio that uses the mike to switch the speaker ON will have a problem with the "no-relay" type boards.

No big deal, you just add a relay, right? Right!

But evey additional gadget and wire you load into the radio presents you with three opportunities:

1) The opportunity to create a "squeal" problem, with feedback noises from using a poorly-filtered spot to attach the red wire. The more heavily-filtered "regulated" side of the power supply tends to work a lot better on this count.

2) The opportunity to create that squeal by using the wrong locations to ground the thing. Using the metal body of a receiver "can", tuneable IF transformer looks handy, and is easy to describe in a simple, universal procedure. And if you get away with it, who cares? Using (instead) the same ground as the mike socket's audio circuit tends to minimize this problem.

3) The opportunity to create weird mike-audio noises by splicing long, non-shielded wires to the mike socket's audio pin. Keeping the beep near the mike socket reduces this risk. Don't place it at the opposite far corner of the radio, with the wires running an inch from the final transistor. Don't laugh. I've seen it.

Lordy, now all you need is for somebody (else) to write up individual instructions for hundreds of different radios. And that's the trouble with their "universal" installation sheet. You just can't get specific about where to hook things without packing a book with the board. They did the best they could with only one small sheet of paper.

I guess.

P.S. On my (long) list of impractical things to market: A five-tone roger beep with a panel of five or six knobs, stuck on the outside of the radio. I've seen so many of them with the tiny tone-set trimpots worn completely out from over use. Gotta figure, put a real knob on the outside for each tone. Should probably advise its use on a base radio only. Gotta wonder if it would cause more car wrecks than a cell phone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.