• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
Got home a week ago and have slowly been making my way thru this storage closet of a home (shown first post behind pickup) taking the excessive amount of gear from the Peterbilt and working it back into my regular life.

Past 2.5-years have been too tired — in general — to have done much more than dump “stuff” as I came in the door. And have also been replacing work-related stuff without having cleaned-out the old.

When I got home I wound up filling the pickup as well. Okay, this ends this time, gonna get things ship-shape. (Got my authentic G Golly Wally, Git ‘er Dun! Cap, pulled down tightly over my ears and proceeded).

Great weather. Need to use it before going back to work. Any thoughts or links to other installs welcomed.

1). RF Bond small lengths to finish the pre-made pieces done last year.

— Will make yet more 6-AWG DC Grounds, and 3/4” RF Bonds.
Order more lugs plus screws, washers, etc. Order supply to do that exhaust system.

2). Maybe get the antenna mount installed.
985F0D17-4F7F-4F9E-B255-3531251B1A47.jpeg

3). No end of power cable now available from the various attempts on the big truck. I think I’ll use the 2 or 4-AWG from BATT to backseat (new amp location) and run accessory lines from there to radio & speaker locations.

3% Voltage Drop with 4-AWG is 50-60A. 2-AWG is 70-100A USCG rating.(will probably use the #2 just in case that 500W KL-703 sneaks itself under the backseat.)

— Going to use the Palomar Engineers 12V 30A Common Mode RFI/ DC Noise Filter as power distribution. Mounted it in a hinged-lid project housing a couple of years ago and didn’t finish. Holes drilled in sides to accommodate power + accessory draw. Marine cable glands, again, to act as grommets.

89508727-00F1-4EE1-9E3D-BD7CEE1474F4.jpeg

— The RM ITALY KL-7505v is fused at 30A. I go up from there in amp draw I can switch to a covered HD MARINCO 12V Buss Bar.

00C72E2F-60ED-465E-9967-68C9FD00DB36.jpeg
The amp will go in one of the TRC-2 Radio Carriers I can get clearance, and the 12V box attached to its side.

07FE83FF-1263-4D9C-947A-1F054C878C75.jpeg
3D6ABFF0-0794-4FD3-A5F4-EBDEF917D9C9.jpeg

(The radio will go in the smaller TRC-1)

IOW, 12V POS to this location thru starboard door sill, under back seat, then out to Amp, and to a forward-mount 4005 Rigrunner for Radio & Speaker (plus anything else catches my fancy).

259E42D5-2AF5-49BB-9EDB-55463310E7B4.jpeg

NEG straight to floorpan (and near the cab-to-frame jumpers).
7AE7484B-3493-4D8F-B742-6D23FBAF76FD.jpeg

4). Antennas currently stored indoors. Time to look at some PVC pipe as antenna holder (most are simply top-load whips). Suggestions for interior of a fiberglass topper? Rack or pipe or something.

5). Coax with will be more interesting. Have to run to amp, and then to radio. May try something super-shielded. Cost sorta irrelevant. Puck to Amp down starboard C-pillar. From amp along driveshaft tunnel forward to radio mounted on tunnel.

Coax & Power will run parallel a couple of feet.

6). Decided I ALSO want to be able to run coax from the TT (travel trailer) to the truck antenna. “Where” to be able to do that (doors/windows closed) means I’ll likely use a marine cable gland entry thru the floor. Maybe leave a stub in truck that just has to be pushed thru when use is wanted. This would be for gear separate from what’s installed in truck. Truck as the substitute for a portable antenna (until that gets solved as separate issue).

7). Alternately, as I’ll be using the President Lincoln II+, the other “remote” is the President Liberty Cordless Microphone for walkaround. Some mechanicking under a shade tree. BBQ. What-have-you.

1CBB1F72-EEA1-431F-946A-9CCBFB674B1B.jpeg

8). With amp moved to under rear seat cushion, this makes mounting the Linc much easier given the new HD swivel base bought and not used on the Pete. Manual transmission shifter creates a clearance problem all its own and I don’t want to intrude (much) into passenger legroom. But still be able to occasionally look at controls.

— Some other arrangement of radio may be used someday. Low key for now: remove antenna and drape the Members Only jacket across radio.

— May not get much of this done. Household organization has priority. Wanted it on paper as feeling rested.

Thinking aloud.

Last edited:
Haven’t done the BIG THREE underhood wiring upgrade. That’ll come with an all-new battery cable set plus an upgraded alternator. A new pair of Odyssey battery’s as well (plus a battery charge maintenance system).

The travel trailer needs a new pair of batteries, and will have to check if the current solar power system runs well enough to keep all four (4) batteries charged when off of shore power.

As mentioned previously the “integration” of this combined vehicle needs upgrades to also include running the Cummins at high idle as Genset (under limited circumstances).

The TT work is separate, but there is overlap still.

High idle running equates to stationary (extended) radio operation for purposes of this thread. I’m figuring that’s 1.25-gl/hr. Fuel tank needs to come down to install new lift pump and vent kit (reliability + faster fill & a few extra gallons.)

Thread title is about the antenna mount, but extends to making the CTD a better radio vehicle.

Last edited:
image.png
You'll be disappointed with the Larsen NMO-27. I run a Larsen NMO for 10/11 meters, but I use The NMO-30 coil, 3 inch spring and W640 whip. The whip is 64", but will cut down a good bit. Much better performance over the NMO-27 and has better bandwidth.
Hey Mudfoot I just came across your reply and was wandering if you have the LARSEN mounted in the middle of the roof, front fender or rear of the vehicle?
I am planning on using the NMO30 and 64" whip for 11m and not running more than 100w anyway!
I know that, as far as waterproof, they are hard to bit (I've used Larsen for my commercial VHF's installations).
How does it compare to other CB antennas performance wise?
I got the idea from a guy in Canada (here is the picture).
It makes for a clean and nice looking install!

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?