• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
The Grounding point is not at the mounting for the top plate, they provide it CLOSER to the center so the braid (if you use the lug-way) and it's connector (Lug preferred in this case) is a shorter route to help keep the Impedance Bump this mount can appear as - if the leads, center to shield - are not kept short.

That Aluminum (if ordered and received) is Anodized to keep it's shine - might want to burnish it's interior surface to help with metal to metal contact. Anodizing INSULTATES the metal (an oxide layer) from the elements, so you may want to burnish or sand down to bare metal on the plate to help with bonding.

The top mount comes with a seal to keep out the elements - the backing plate holds the bonding lug - and is the "interior" surface I speak of. It does the work for both Torque and the Ground.

Just hope the "brass" side of this mount stays pretty - nothing like that glint in the sun as you drive - offsets the otherwise Chintzy Chrome most other mounts appear as. Almost as a sign or seal of quality.

It's when the Brass gets tarnished...

upload_2020-12-6_8-9-31.png

Used to have to use this stuff in many
public events ...during High School days.​

Reactions: Slowmover
The only puck mount I've used is a gunny, and the backing plate was galvanized. It gets so cold here that I get a pretty nasty layer of ice on the interior of the roof (that's constantly thawing and freezing) and I'd worry about having uncoated aluminum there. I would probably use an excessive amount of no ox id in attempt to limit corrosion of the bare aluminum to steel.

I wasn't impressed with his mounts I bought. Including that backing plate which should be finished and corners rounded or else those sharp pointed edges may poke a hole. Also it doesn't appear to be fully insulated.
I have several still in shipping box for over a year

Reactions: Slowmover
Yes, the corners “should” be rounded, but that’s not a difficult operation on ones own. There’s a point where a hit nearer the antenna base than not — IS — going to damage sheet metal. Rounding won’t prevent that damage.

As to insulators, one can request custom-made.

I think it fair to point a reader towards reviews where a component or a part of component was altered to the buyers satisfaction.

Which then begs the question of gear received un-altered.

In my case I’ll plead less than stellar job list organization.

Were it me making this stuff, anyone would think Breedlove cheap in comparison. I’ve not the experience, thus the time allotted per piece would be high.

There’s not competition at this price level. Nor in quality going higher in price until one hits MIL-SPEC.

With whatever reservations, I’m proud to own something of this quality.

Ten years from now I’ll feel the same (is a pretty easy bet).

So, an angle grinder to cut corners held in a vise.
A little more to cap the short points remaining.

I already figure to order a few spares.
If a different insulator is part of that, then . . . .

I wasn't impressed with his mounts I bought. Including that backing plate which should be finished and corners rounded or else those sharp pointed edges may poke a hole. Also it doesn't appear to be fully insulated.
I have several still in shipping box for over a year

Specifically, why not start a thread with some gear pics and pose your questions? There’s a herd of us would rather risk sparks and metal cuts versus ever turning on a TV.

I mean, hell, this ain’t about butchering a NIB pre-1964 custom-engraved Winchester, right?

This forum always seems to have the (welcome) surprise of some old boy in the back row silencing everyone with relevant experience. Speaking as someone well out of his league most of the time, my face is gonna wind up set in a stupid grin (wow, wouldn’t have thought of that!)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?