1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Rooster-Made 3-500z Project

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by paws264, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

I would install a proper anode cap on that 3-500Z to prevent damage to the metal to glass seal. The finned cap will remove excess heat. Without the cap, excessive expansion and contraction of this connection can fracture the glass seal.

2. Bionic Chicken

Bionic Chicken Active Member

100% correct. I missed that the first time I looked at it.

3. paws264

paws264 Active Member

I think that he's going to recess the tube socket 1/4 inch or so and pressurise the bottom, he's also machinening a aluminum heat sink plate cap. There will also be fan fed cooling on top directed towards the glass tube. Glass Chimney could be in future.

He has access to "The Feeding And Care Of Power Grid Tubes".

4. paws264

paws264 Active Member

B+ Supply transformer is 2500 VAC @450 ma CCS

[​IMG]

5. Bionic Chicken

Bionic Chicken Active Member

Speaking of the chimney, and I'm sure you have done or seen this done. Instead of shelling out $45 for a new chimney, you can use a Coleman lantern globe which sell for less than $10. You can also fabricate the clips without very much effort. Short pieces of spring steel work great!!! Anyway to save a dollar.(y)

6. CDX-007

CDX-007 Transducer Fanatic

The nice thing about a real chimney is the way it uses a curved shoulder in the top to direct the flow of air past the anode cap for better anode cooling.

That is one perfect transformer.
    I have one from a laser supply, toroidal, and 1300w @ 2828v.

I'm looking at a single 4-400C amp in as small a package as possible, and monobanded for 10m, of course!

Was that coil wound on a 2" former?

7. Lazybones1222

Lazybones1222 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I would love to build something like that for 80 meters. What plans are being followed? Will it have a bandswitch or is it a "one bander"?

8. linearone

linearone King of NY

did this amp ever get completed?

9. linearone

linearone King of NY

breaka for an update?

10. paws264

paws264 Active Member

He runs hot and cold.....

I've almost begged him to let me test / finish the RF Deck. Still waiting...

11. rockinredsrooster

Been smoozing the wife for some counter space......Greg it's in the same condition as photographed over a year ago.....I'll have to go hunting parts again because who knows where i put everything.
    Been tinkering with a lot with HiFi audio amps lately, winter is coming soon enough...

Rooster

12. rockinredsrooster

Paws, I've almost let you take it - you know me though, all over the place!

13. rockinredsrooster

Paws, you just reminded me about the 4 transistor I built over a year ago, I've never key it up or even applied power - it's somewhere under my desk!
    I did get that Carver M500t audio amp figured out this week, I've gotta recap it yet. Just hope I don't loose it under my desk before getting new caps!

14. ElectronTubesRule

ElectronTubesRule Active Member

I like this thread because it is about doing instead of just buying something pre-made.

I would not get too nit-picky. A lot of Amateurs want and expect too much in a homebrew project. I have seen it a lot and itis almost comical. They poke holes in everything and attack things but you never see them do anything themselves. Many of them want all kinds of things that a person in their basement is just not going to be able to do or have the desire to do.

What really kills me is that some of the most popular amplifiers on Ebay built by or designed by the likes of Heathkit, Dentron,Drake insert name here would not measure up to most of the Amateur Worlds standards if you held them to the standards that people keep wanting to hold home-brew projects too then all of these other units like wise do not or can not measure up.

In fact most if not all of the Heathkits do not use Chimneys just a little fan inside the case. Dentron did the same thing.Just saying not everything needs to be built like the Quadra System!