• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ROYCE 642 HARD TO MOD?

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
Is it true that these pll's (5080 cci3001 are impossible to do modifications such as adding extra channels or unlocking the clarifier? What other rigs of this era used these pll's? From the little information I could gather Royce was one of the cb makers that used these pll's.

I have a Royce 1-642 that I modded for channels and has an open clarifier. Wasn't too hard to do, but the clarifier doesn't unlock in the standard method of most radios. It takes a little extra tweaking to get it right.

Channels on the radio go from 27.425 - 27.595.

~Cheers~

Ive never met a Royce i have liked.. :-/

Royce built some nice radios and they were a solid design.

I had this radio in my younger days, it was a great SSB Base station.

and who can forget the ad with the 40 channel mobile that they bolted to a paint shaker and let er rip.

Try that with some of the radios built today and see if they work when you get done.

Jeff

Attachments

• ssbbase.jpg
    ssbbase.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 51z+OEybfhL.jpg
    51z+OEybfhL.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: Robb
THAKNS SONOMA.

That's a grate site. It's interesting too see how many rigs share the same pll's. Although I can't do the work myself its nice to learn about the different pll's and what mods can be done to them.

...and who can forget the ad with the 40 channel mobile that they bolted to a paint shaker and let er rip.

Try that with some of the radios built today and see if they work when you get done.

Howdy Jeff! I got a kick out of that ad. I'd forgotten that one. Sometimes some of the poorly regulated power supplies on rigs south of the border make them sound like they're actually operating while they've got the ol' paint shaker running in full shake mode. LOL

I like them. Specially the ones with the self contained PLL cans in them.
They make great cheap signal generators.

Royce has signal generators good and cheap wow ? Can you pass me some info please ? I could use a good but cheap one !

Retro

No Royce does not make a signal generator. "They" being the PLL cans from a Royce radio makes a good cheap signal generator. That is if you know how to modify one of them.

Okay so what is this modell called so I might be able to locate one ?

Thanks, Retro

Okay so what is this modell called so I might be able to locate one ?

Thanks, Retro
From my good friend Lazarus,
40 ch Royce like the 625 for example. Remove the PLL can or "sardine can" as a few like to call it. Put it in a box and wire it up, Build an attenuator and you have it. just need to ass a audio source.

Attachments

• Royce sardine can.jpg
    Royce sardine can.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Retro CB Guy
From my good friend Lazarus,
40 ch Royce like the 625 for example. Remove the PLL can or "sardine can" as a few like to call it. Put it in a box and wire it up, Build an attenuator and you have it. just need to ass a audio source.

Appriciate the reply and photo Radio Tech !!! I'm driving at the signal generator still though wanting a good but alot cheaper one for me to help align RX on some 40 ssb units...

73's, Retro

I just bought a 642 for 100.00 and it looks almost mint. It works great too and is stable as a rock on ssb. I don't think im going to mod it. Its just too sweet!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated