• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RTL-SDR Section

I was looking at the SDR dongle, but first I have to get a real computer. Right now I have a Surface tablet with RT operating system. Not much compatible with it anymore, so it is time for an upgrade. I might get a low cost desk top unit but I am not sure if there are any special requirements to run am SDR? Or would the cheapest desktops be ok?
Look into the Odroid XU4, slap Linux on the thing and you are good to go. I love the small form factor and they work great for SDR.
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-xu4-special-price/

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What does the SDR take as far as processing power, memory, etc?

I don’t even know what I have, I was into computers moons ago...that’s come and gone 10x over. But...in my pickup I have a $250 Walmart laptop. ALL I currently use it for is logging.

Will the dongle run on a basic machine like that? I’m thinking it could be nice in the mobile when waiting on 11m propagation...to have something else to listen to.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What does the SDR take as far as processing power, memory, etc?

I don’t even know what I have, I was into computers moons ago...that’s come and gone 10x over. But...in my pickup I have a $250 Walmart laptop. ALL I currently use it for is logging.

Will the dongle run on a basic machine like that? I’m thinking it could be nice in the mobile when waiting on 11m propagation...to have something else to listen to.
It really depends on what you are doing. For monitoring local services (police, fire,...)and Ham, CB you can get by with an i3 and 4gb of ram. For processing complex signals like satellites and cell data then you are looking at somewhere between an i5 to i7 and 8gb ram min.

It really depends on what you are doing. For monitoring local services (police, fire,...)and Ham, CB you can get by with an i3 and 4gb of ram. For processing complex signals like satellites and cell data then you are looking at somewhere between an i5 to i7 and 8gb ram min.

Ok. Good deal.

I have better machines at the house, which is where I’d probably start, but the thread sparks interest in other areas.

In other words, gets me thinking about mobile operations, as I have a cheapo machine living in the pickup. The truck is DXmachine / work truck. (For anyone keeping tabs on my lazy ass - I actually worked yesterday doing some arborist work :p)

I’m guessing I’d be somewhere in the middle of requirements at the end of the day....I’d listen to airband (mostly) and trunked public service (secondly).

Ok. Good deal.

I have better machines at the house, which is where I’d probably start, but the thread sparks interest in other areas.

In other words, gets me thinking about mobile operations, as I have a cheapo machine living in the pickup. The truck is DXmachine / work truck. (For anyone keeping tabs on my lazy ass - I actually worked yesterday doing some arborist work :p)

I’m guessing I’d be somewhere in the middle of requirements at the end of the day....I’d listen to airband (mostly) and trunked public service (secondly).
You should be good to go Dan, run SDRTrunk I can help you get it set up as I have access to the talkgroup files for the US that I can convert for you to import. This would give you the meta data on screen when the services broadcast. I have run SDRTrunk on an Odroid so I know you would be good on that. Keep in touch, I would be more than happy to help you through the setup.

Ok. Good deal.

Oh and for air monitoring have a look at SDR#, this program will be your go to for anything that does not require system tracking (trunked systems)

Reactions: 2NC995
While you are waiting for this to develop (?), you can check out this long established site with a forum on SDR's;

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/board,17.0.html

spy.png

Yup I'll get around to it over the next day or so, got seriously sidetracked between unrelated equipment issues and relocating plans.

Coming soon, my apologies...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?