• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RTL-SDR Section

Louisiana Mudd

X Marine Researcher - AUV / ASV Pilot
May 25, 2020
North West Texas
Would the admins be interested in adding a RTL-SDR section? I know it has nothing to do with transmitting so to speak but it is very handy when it comes to signal recon.

I have a lot of info on this topic and have a lot of how-tos to share.

Attachments

• 20200418_195710.jpg
    20200418_195710.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200418_195746.jpg
    20200418_195746.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 131

Everyone should at least get one of the little cheap SDR dongles. They are very interesting to play around with. Great way to get yer feet wet cheaply, before dumping major cash into a nice system.

If your local emergency services have gone DMR, APCO-25 or other, these can be configured to monitor them. Definitely way cheaper than buying a new digital scanner. Digital scanners are around $500-$600. You can setup an SDR system to listen in for under $100 and look cooler doing it.

I mostly use mine for medium wave and FM stereo reception.

Everyone should at least get one of the little cheap SDR dongles. They are very interesting to play around with. Great way to get yer feet wet cheaply, before dumping major cash into a nice system.

If your local emergency services have gone DMR, APCO-25 or other, these can be configured to monitor them. Definitely way cheaper than buying a new digital scanner. Digital scanners are around $500-$600. You can setup an SDR system to listen in for under $100 and look cooler doing it.

I mostly use mine for medium wave and FM stereo reception.
Thanks for the info. In IL we have multiple services that have gone to Starcom 21. I'm curious if one of these dongles would be up to the task. I have been looking at digital scanners but dont want to drop the jack for ISP IDOT and a few others..Time to do a little research I guess...

Thanks for the info. In IL we have multiple services that have gone to Starcom 21. I'm curious if one of these dongles would be up to the task. I have been looking at digital scanners but dont want to drop the jack for ISP IDOT and a few others..Time to do a little research I guess...
I have a lot of experience with these things so if you need anything just ask. If you are looking for cheap but awesome look at rtl-sdr.com, you don't need an upconverter for HF with these as they are capable of direct sampling. They are around 25 to 30 bucks and do 500khz to 1.7ghz. If you want to spring for a unit (350+/-) then look at the HackRF One, 500khz to 6ghz and you can low power TX on it

Blackcat also look into SDRtrunk (my personal pick) and DSD+ for Winblows or DSD for xnix. SDRTRUNK supports talkgroups and displays all meta data.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If your local emergency services have gone DMR, APCO-25 or other, these can be configured to monitor them.

This is really good to know.

My current scanners handle our local systems, but that’s gonna change. I simply don’t listen to public service to justify $600 bucks in maintaining the capability.

I DO use enough to justify an SDR @ $100 ish.

I've never heard of that protocol. Best thing would do a search/inquiry over on Radio Reference and see if any chatter on that mode.

The early software for decoding digital stuff was very technical and difficult to setup. As interest in SDR grew, the software is getting better. I'd have to research again. I was gung-ho in the beginning. As I previously mentioned, my focus is medium wave and broadcast FM.

I'd recommend getting feet wet with the cheaper dongle. Once you learned the software and settings, invest in a better device with better specs, good antenna and scan away.

I've never heard of that protocol. Best thing would do a search/inquiry over on Radio Reference and see if any chatter on that mode.

The early software for decoding digital stuff was very technical and difficult to setup. As interest in SDR grew, the software is getting better. I'd have to research again. I was gung-ho in the beginning. As I previously mentioned, my focus is medium wave and broadcast FM.

I'd recommend getting feet wet with the cheaper dongle. Once you learned the software and settings, invest in a better device with better specs, good antenna and scan away.
Most Starcom systems that I have run across are P25-2, SDRTRUNK will decode it. If you have issues with SDRTRUNK decoding the system DSD+ will do it for sure.

Another thing to look into is encryption, as we all know decoding and decrypting are two different things. Software will decode but not decrypt, sure I can write a script for you to decrypt the signal but I hope you have 20 years to stand-by lol Those systems have a key that would literally take you that long with a standard computer.

I had a local scanner feed of my County agencies on Radio Reference after our County went digital, I bought a Uniden SDS200, put up a gnarly outdoor antenna and streamed 24/7.

I sort of became a local Facebook celebrity. I had strangers contacting me about crazy shit. People wanting to know what kind of car was in the accident and stuff. It got nutty. I usually listen to our County Road crews, school busses, local airport. Just obscure stuff. My feed became pretty popular. One night, I got pissed off and pulled the plug and sold that scanner. I paid $600 for that stupid thing.

I have a little analog scanner in my Jeep. I just list to goofy stuff.

Last edited:
I have local scanner feed of my County on Radio Reference. Our County went digital. I bought a Uniden SDS200, put up a gnarly outdoor channel..

I sort of became a local Facebook celebrity. I had strangers contacting me about crazy shit. People wanting to know what kind of car was in the accident and stuff. It got nutty. I usually listen to our County Road crews, school busses, local airport. Just obscure stuff. My feed became pretty popular. One night, I got pissed off and pulled the plug and sold that scanner. I paid $600 for that stupid thing.

I have a little analog scanner in my Jeep. I just list to goofy stuff.
I am on RR also lol It gets interesting around here with the two ghetto towns near here. The weekends are awesome

I was looking at the SDR dongle, but first I have to get a real computer. Right now I have a Surface tablet with RT operating system. Not much compatible with it anymore, so it is time for an upgrade. I might get a low cost desk top unit but I am not sure if there are any special requirements to run am SDR? Or would the cheapest desktops be ok?

Guys also don't forget about the ability to watch the GOES satellites as they pass overhead for real-time sat data (images) I could go on and on about the things that you can do with these cheap dongles. Maybe I will start doing video tutorials to demonstrate the potential of these devices. I'll even show you how to track your (and your neighbors) smart meters in a terminal. If you spring for the HackRF One I will show you how to monitor 5Ghz for drone footage. The possibilities are endless, if it broadcasts we can manipulate it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.