• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Russian Tubes and QRO Parts

first post here and he is trying to sell his stuff? :blink:

interesting
Dear Chris, thank you for your note. It is your true, I want to sell this stuff, it is ham business and I try do it in a ham spirit. I also had idea to give more info about my site. It contains price list of course, but you can find plenty of technical info devoted amplifiers, HV PS, antennas. You will not find there any info devoted to cats or dogs or kitchen equipment.

This site was created with my help by my friend Paul Goble, ND2X/5 from San Antonio,TX in 2000, you can easy find it: ND2X - QRO via Russia + Mobile Ops You also can find my page there, but it is not actual , it was not changed more than 1 year. Paul has serious health problem and lost interest to it. You can find many interesting amplifier designs there.

Russian Tubes and QRO parts possibly have not so high quality as US made or made by Philips or Siemens, etc. But they are well built, are able to work 10-20 years and their main advantage is low price. You also can find many amplifier designs with Russian tubes here: .

Too many words and letters, sorry. Thanks for reading it.
Alex,UR4LL.

UR4LL, or anyone else.

certain tubes, the maximum CW anode voltage on the
spec sheet seems ridiculously low.

GU-84b, GU-74b, GS-23b ...

gu-84b

GU-84b, ... max cw, 2.2 kv ..... really?
for a tube with a 2500W anode dissipation?

Most of these tubes are military surplus designed for Russian radar systems. They represent an extremely high value for the cost per watt of dissipation. You must remember things like they were rated for use at close to 1 GHz. This means the specified gain, power dissipation, and the plate voltage is expected to be higher at HF. The most important thing with these tubes is to condition them before use in order to avoid any possible damage due to a poor vacuum from sitting on the shelf over time.

This break in procedure is very important if you plan on running the tubes at or above their rated plate voltage in the old radar data sheets. I would strongly recommend doing this with any of these surplus tubes regardless of how you use them. They don't need a lot of plate voltage to develop good power either and are constructed to operate at higher grid currents than Western tubes in order to reach these power levels at reduced plate voltage.

To make a long story short, I would be slower to condemn the product or the seller because the tubes work well when properly used and the seller seems to have a good reputation with other members here. I very much like the fact I can buy a 2500 watt dissipation GS35B for about $125. That sure makes it attractive compared to an 8877 at around a grand. The price is low because you have to do the work of conditioning the tube before using it if you expect it to operate reliably.

Reactions: 2 people
UR4LL, or anyone else.

certain tubes, the maximum CW anode voltage on the
spec sheet seems ridiculously low.

GU-84b, GU-74b, GS-23b ...

gu-84b

GU-84b, ... max cw, 2.2 kv ..... really?
for a tube with a 2500W anode dissipation?

Dr om, Official datasheets and amateur use are slightly different things.
You can visit ND2X site QRO via Russia and find there
much higher voltages for GU84b ( 3.5kV) GS23b ( close to 4kV). GU74b doesnot like more than 2.5kV.
GS23b is another great Russian tube, not well known similar to GU74b or GS35b. It is made from quality materials. It used on HF very rare, but now OM Powers builds HF amplifiers with these tubes, it is able to run on HF
close to 2kW. Its single disadvantage is socket, it is very hard to find good one.

Hello Dr. Alex,
Nice to hear from you.
Sorry to hear of Paul's position.
I am the Ham who bought your GS36B tubes for use on 6 meters.
The amp used a 4cx250 originally and converted to your GS36B.
It's a plug in with reset bias and larger cooling sleeve as long as the power supply will handle the extra anode current and total power.
Jumped the power from 310 to 600 watts.
Best to you and family.
73 Ken

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?