• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

safe/recomended E-bay sellers ???

B

BOOTY MONSTER

im seeing radios on eek-bay but im hesitant to bid afraid ill get suckered . ive never bought anything off of there befor . can the folks that see this thread post a lil info if you know someone selling cb equipment that you feel are safe to recomend or that you would advise folks to not deal with ?

thanks .

That Molecular dude is a real swell guy!

I guess you just need to analyze feedback and assess risk. I bought a couple things off there and it went great! Their ebay feedback reflects that.

Ebay is relatively very safe. They've had and added many excellent protections to support buyers.

Paypal pretty much protects you 100% against the item not showing up or being "significantly not as described."

I've had to force a couple of buyers to give me a refund, including recently, via paypal, for the item being significantly not as described.

SO....read ads very carefully. Make sure the ad is stating the full condition of the item. Like: "works 100% as should" or "looks and works great" ect....

Good sellers will describe the piece fully with plenty of details.

If you see something you like, but the description is light, then ASK the seller QUESTIONS during the auction and before you bid. Wait for a satisfactory answer.

Seller might state "no refunds" or "all sales final" something like that. But you are STILL PROTECTED by paypal if item is "significantly not as described."

If the seller is trying to say as little about the radio as possible, not saying if it is 100% working ect....then you might want to skip that one. The seller may be trying to sneak a piece of junk in on ya.

Mobile radio ads will also be famous for leaving out whether or not it comes with mic, power cord, mounting bracket, manual. Again, ask the seller via Questions if these things are included.

Good luck

I think that one takes their chances on eBay. So, always look at their feeback before bidding or buying. If the seller sells a lot and often - and has a 98-99% rating - they are OK.

I bought my Magnum OmegaForce from eBay. I only saved a few bucks on the radio, but overall it was a decent deal. I use that radio every single day - and enjoy it. I also bought a sweet Cobra 148 GTL and got a great deal - $75 for the radio and a RoadKing 56 mic. So, I guess I am biased to say that one can get a good deal if one is careful and check the feedback of the seller.

thanks . i see so many folks selling radios that they "can plug in to see that it lights up but dont have an antenna for further testing" . from what i understand the correct interpertation of that is "it lights up but damned if i know whats wrong with it . LOL
if i stick with someone with 100 feedback counts or more and a %98 rating or higher ..... and says the radio is in good or better operating condition ...... should i be pretty safe ????

I think so BM. I didn't even mention a high feedback rating as that part is obvious.

IF they say it works well or as should....then you should be covered. If you get it and it doesn't work or work well....then you can claim "significantly not as described."

Go for it...we likes buyin' stuff
128fs318181.gif

I just look at there feedback rating if they have sold 5,000 items and have 95% feedback I personally still feel safe depending what the item is I guess. I just look at it this way you cant make everyone happy and people will always complain so if you sell alt you are gambling just like if your buying I have 100% feedback there but know how fast that could change like anyone elses due to a picky buyer

Also PayPal is all I use there to purchase its a little more of a security blanket to fallback on Knock on wood Ive done well or been lucky in the several years Ive used Ebay but I have heard and read the horror stories aswell so thats always at the back of my mind so the guard is always up. The biggest thing is ASK QUESTIONS!! Also watch whats said in the description of items. As Ive mentioned before to others the biggest RED FLAG for me is when they have a radio item and go through all the technical information ETC and follow up with I dont have any manuals and the biggest catch "I DONT HAVE AN ANTENNA TO TEST THIS RADIO (or amplifier) SO ITS BEING SOLD AS IS"

Its funny they knew all the specifics and used radio terms to explain the item as a radio operator would but they have no dummyload or "antenna" to test it or a radio operator friend to try it out or test it!

I hear that PRO15157 Guy is a real stand-up kind of Guy! :laugh:

Seriously though, feedback, description and not always # of sales.

I have bought a truckload of radios and radio related equipment and have only had 1 questionable deal.

I don't have anything listed, but when I do you can damn well bet the description will be honest.

I have to look at my ugly face every morning when I shave and I have never been ashamed to look myself in the eye in nearly 52 years.

I will rip myself off before I would ever screw a buyer over. Sold a Hy-Gain ground Plane about a year ago, had it listed as flat rate shipping to US.
Fellow sent me a meesage asking how much shipping to 99504, I was in a hurry and replied read the description, FLAT RATE.

Now the fellow won the antenna for $95.00 (I had $0 in it) I was patting myself on the back at how nice a profit i had made until i entered the zip code to print the shipping label. :eek:

Cost me $123.00 to ship the antenna to Anchorage.:cry:

That is learning right there, I don't care who you are. :headbang

LMA:LOL:!!!!! :eek:UCH!! well that sucks but it was a lesson learned Im sure and a fair warning to others now to check things out an eye opener so to speak?. I never really thought about that and how easy it would be to fall into that or simular trap. wheeew:eek:

1.Ask questions to sellers.
2.Feedback is one thing , but still ask questions to seller.
3.Beware of Money Orders only.
4.Paypal is good , they have saved my ass many times over the years from not so kosher sellers.
5.The two biggest words on Ebay are "AS IS" understand those words.

Use the feedback to estimate the validity of their item, then go to thier feedback and see if they sell a lot of cb related equipment and if they state untested or no way to test, then guess what- it probably is in need of repair they couldn't do or just passing junk on to others. Those with high feedback and tend to do business with cb equipment are a pretty safe bet. Good luck.

eBay Almighty

I've been a member of eBay since Jan of '99 and have seen many changes from both a buyer's and a seller's perspective. I have a 643 feedback rating, 100% positive. I should have many, many more "points" than that, but a lot of my selling was during a period in which I could only get 1 feedback points from customers that bought several items separately. Oh, well.

I haven't "had it" with eBay quite yet, but eBay is so concerned with the purchasers of items that they have made it damn near impossible to deal with deadbeat buyers. I have a fellow right now that has been promising to pay for an item for three months (5 days is typical response time) and all I can do is attempt to get my auction fees back. Time was, I could leave someone like that negative feedback to let the rest of the 99.9% of folks trying to to decent business on the site know what they are dealing with.

I have another fellow who bought a radio and will not respond to any inquiry, eMail, telephone or in writing. These buyers need to be dinged with negative feedback.

As a seller, I need to be dinged with negative feedback when I screw up. It's only human. People are not perfect and should be corrected or admonished when they stray from the straight and narrow.

USE and check the eBay feedback system. It's no longer as relevant as it used to be, but read the feedbacks and, as stated by many others, CONTACT the parties at the other end of the transaction PRIOR to auction end if you are in doubt about anything. And I do mean anything. Expected shipment times, shipment prices, shipment method, country of origin, legality of merchandise. Ask them to hook the thing up and see if it at least lights up. If they refuse to answer the most basic of questions or perform the most basic of tests, refuse to purchase the item. No one is holding a gun to your head (or a fire to your wallet) making you buy that thing!

I guarantee my stuff on eBay "NO DOA", but no other guarantee besides that is expressed or implied. I describe the item THOROUGHLY in the auction ad and include in-focus photos. Others should do the same. Oh, and I should mention I am NOT a business. Just an individual trying to make an honest buck or two.

My favorite threatening email was from a fellow who hooked a power amp up backwards that he bought from me, destroying both his radio and the amplifier. This incident prompted the disclaimer that is at the bottom of all my auction ads:

/rant on: I do not sell defective merchandise. Not even for repair/parts purposes. I learned my lesson on this long, long, ago. I test every piece of electronics that leaves my possession BEFORE it leaves my possession. If it doesn't "work as intended", then I just don't sell it. HOWEVER, there is/this is no guarantee that the product will work for YOUR intended purpose or that it will work with or work in your equipment. This merchandise may not exactly suit your needs. RETURNS are accepted ONLY if I have grossly and negligently misrepresented the product. If I put something like "radio puts out 45 watts nominally" in an ad and your measurement equipment only "sees" 44 watts, this IS NOT reason for product return. If you hook up a radio power amplifier "backwards" and blow up both the amplifier and the radio, this is not a reason for product return. In addition, I will not assist you in fraudulent insurance claims against any shipper/carrier. I will not over-insure a product, and in any request for insurance, I will be the sole determiner of what the merchandise is worth. In plain English this means don't ask for $350 dollars worth of insurance on an item that is only worth $75 and then attempt to bilk the USPS out of $350 when the item miraculously arrives in your possession "broken". /rant off

It never ceases to amaze me what some folks will do for a few bucks.

Last edited:
If the seller is less than 100%, find out why. Also look at other buyers and contact them aswell. Ask them how it worked out. Sellers like Radiomart used to give retalitory feedback to get buyer to give him a false postive.
Rich

Another Ebay scam

I have been using E-bay for about 10 years as a seller & a buyer with hundreds of transactions

I have got snaked only 2 times out of hundreds, the last time was last month on of all things a new CB base antenna.

Here is the scoop , I hit the "buy it now" button on a new I-Max2000 for $89 , right, well right when I was about to commit to pay for it after winning the "buy it now" bid I noticed that the shipping charges were $80 bucks !!! so I said WOAAAAH hold your horses and put the brakes on and right away e-mailed the guy about the outrageous shipping charge

I said to him via email than an over sized UPS charge for an antenna will be $23 bucks, he said yes ok and said he would re-due the shipping charge to reflect $23 dollars so the public and I will incur only $23 shipping charge.

He NEVER did, He tried to get me to pay $80 bucks even AFTER he was called on the carpet and agreed to lower the shipping fee, THEN after I refused to pay for it the 2nd time after he lied to me he "dinged" ME !!!

In the mean time I bought a new I-MAX200 Ebay by a "reputable" seller for $95 plus $23 in shipping.

Her We Go Again> Its going on again this time with used rebuilt CB base antennas, read on >

> There was a guy last month selling real nice rebuilt Hi Gain Penetrator 500 CB antennas , they were going for a lot of money if you "buy it now" , about the price of a brand new Interceptor from Jay in the Mojave about 300+ $'s.

The only thing was his shipping charge was 120 dollars !!!! ya imagine buying a 15 lb aluminum CB antenna and getting stung for $120 dollars in US Mail shipping charges.

The he had another vintage NOS in the box 12lb omni CB antenna and wanted $58 in shipping charges for that one too !!!

I emailed him and he had a lame convoluted reply that made no sense what so ever.

Its too bad because I thought his rebuilds looked pretty good and I was willing to bid high to have a clean classic antenna.

So make dam sure You look at the shipping charge and make sure you know how much that ovject you are bidding on Ebay weighs and how much it really will cost to have it shipped to Your door.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.