• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SAL Electronics 6 Meter Moxon

KC9Q

Supporting Member
Jan 14, 2012
Chicago, IL
  1. SAL Electronic is developing a 6 Meter Moxon. The antenna features 1/2” 0.058” hard drawn aluminum tubing, 1-1/2” square aluminum tubing, all stainless steel hardware, fiberglass insulation, and a 6 KW PEP balun. Yes!, that's 6 KW PEP or 3 KW AM (Continuous Carrier) operation. Thus, this Moxon will loaf along at the 1.5 KW legal limit for Ham Radio. The 1.5:1 VSWR bandwidth is 3 MHz. The entire 6 Meter band is covered at less than 1.8:1 VSWR, with the lowest VSWR provided at the lower portion of the voice phone band between 50 and 52 MHz. The mounting bracket will accommodate 1-1/2” mast, and allows for either horizontal or vertical mounting.

Mike, KC9Q

I hope this gets on the site. I have been having the same symptoms that Homer has with the Moxon design software. Namely the design frequency is higher than the actual operating frequency. The antenna was designed around 50.4 MHz, however the VSWR is lowest near 50 MHz. The goal is to have the antenna cover most of the 6M band with low VSWR.

Also looking at a 10/11 Meter version using 3/4" and 1/2" aluminum tubing. Two tubing sizes are needed due to the larger size at 10 Meters.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF1223.JPG
    DSCF1223.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF1224.JPG
    DSCF1224.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF1225.JPG
    DSCF1225.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF1226.JPG
    DSCF1226.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF1227.JPG
    DSCF1227.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF1230.JPG
    DSCF1230.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: 1 person
Hello,

Well, i havnt dug into the moxongenerator (how it is "builld" up).
But i can imagine the corner bends the tapperd elements are causing "miss leading" information. A 'standard" Nec2 engine would do the same.

You will also find out the "standard" provided measurments dont provide "best" values,
Thats logical as it didnt provide the resonant frequency either.

another thing are: the wires from element to balun..those migth be involved as well.

With that said...it is worth the effort to put some effort into it.
The moxon is one of our "best" sellers for years now..

Kind Regards,

Henry Poelman
HPSD Antenna systems

Last edited:
Looks nice! That would be a really great antenna for a beacon station, or nice antenna for monitoring band openings.

What does the pattern look like, and what is the price? I want one!(y)

On edit, a center frequency of 50.150 would be useful, as most 6 meter SSB/CW ops monitor the lower end of the band for beacons and below 50 Mhz for video coming from across the pond and CE music from SA.

Here is a calculated horizontal polar plot. Gain is around 6 dBi, and F/B is -33 dB. The measured VSWR for the antenna shown is 1.1:1 at 50.150 MHz:

Attachments

• 6 Meter Moxon.jpg
    6 Meter Moxon.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: 1 person
Getting the parts to finalize the construction. After then I can determine a price. Then will need to write manual and obtain packing material.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?