• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Satellite antennas

N6MYA

Jan 2, 2012
New to this forum. I'm just getting back into the satellites after being away for about 23 years. I am only interested in working the SSB transponders on AO-7 and VO-52and have no interest in FM via the satellites that offer that. With that being said, i am wondering if the 'egg beater' style antennas for 2 meters and 70cm are worthwhile or do i need to go to the expense of AZ/EL rotators and beams?

My V/UHF station consists of ICOM IC-271A and IC-471A both with amplifiers and my HF station would work for receive on the 10 meter downlink of AO-7.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help and 73.

Paul
N6MYA

M2 Eggbeater Antennas

Hi Paul,

I just finished putting together a satellite setup consisting of an Icom 820H controlled using MacDoppler, Icom 2m and 70cm preamps, as well as the M2 2m and 70cm eggbeater antennas. I really didn't want to go to the added expense and complexity of directional antennas, so after doing some research, the eggbeaters seemed like a good alternative. From what I read, you really need extra power as well as a very sensitive receiver (hence the preamps) in order to make up for the lack of gain you get with the omnidirectional antennas (at least on the lower satellite passes). So far I've heard a couple of the LEO sats, but haven't had much time to play given the holidays.

Unfortunately I don't think this is giving you much help on the eggbeater question. As I mentioned, I just started playing with the setup, and will try and report back when I have a better feel for how it operates.

My 2 cents,
Ron, W1RPR

With that being said, i am wondering if the 'egg beater' style antennas for 2 meters and 70cm are worthwhile or do i need to go to the expense of AZ/EL rotators and beams?

I guess the "million dollar question" is whether or not it's worth spending the money on the rotators and beams to you. If you're just thinking of trying it out first to see if you like working the transponders, I'd put up the eggbeaters. Work the higher passes and have some fun. If you get bored with it after a few months, you won't have a huge investment. If you find that you really dig it, I think you'll find that you'll justify putting up a better system.

Hi Paul,
Have to agree with Moleculo.

After chasing the birds for many many years, although the eggbeater will work you would have better signals with a directional yagi's. If you compare the price of quality pre-amps building a yagi is cheaper. That is unless you dont have space for them.

I built both of my antennas for sat work. The VHF is a copy of the cushcraft design. You can google that and get the manual. My UHF is of my own design. I wanted something that would work well with AO-7. So I designed my own. See hear:
homebrew 70cm oscar yagi - GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum

My whole sat antenna setup cost me less than 100 bucks. That includes the 2 rotators to turn them with.
I use 2 allaince U100 rotators mounted together.
My cross boom is an old lowband base antenna found at a scrap sale.
Antenna booms can be found at lowes.
Elements can be found at welding supply stores.

Reactions: 1 person
If you want to work the full footprint of the pass a pair of good beams and preamps are needed. I never tried the egg beaters but did try a fixed elevation dual band YAGI on a Radio Shack rotator which worked Ok. Of course now I have a full blown system with the AZ/EL Rotor and a good pair of beams with AR2 PreAmps mounted on the tower. Its an addiction !:LOL:

UPDATE ...

Well, i bought the egg beaters anyway and am glad i did.

With the two meter antenna mounted temporarily about eight feet off of the ground and fed with an ancient 30 foot piece of Radio Shack RG-Mini8 coax i was able to copy QSO's on VO-52 down to 8 degrees above the horizon thru a chain link fence, several houses, and a mountain that is part of the city that rises up behind my location. Tomorrow the antenna is going up on a mast to 20 feet, above the fence but still below the other obstacles, and fed with a proper 45 foot length of LMR-600 coax.

Thanks for all of your input guys, but 8 degrees above the horizon and the hundreds i saved on all of the rest of the stuff is very FB with me.

Cheers.

How do they work on the FM satellites SO-50 and AO-27 ?? Thats awesome they worked that well on VO-52.. Did you try to make a contact ?

73 Catch ya on the Birds

Craig

I don't have any idea about the FM satellites as i don't plan on working any of them. I don't even ever work the FM repeaters here around Reno where i live. Well, i made contacts with myself ... copied my downlink signal perfectly, however there wasn't anyone else on when i tried it this morning. I'll keep trying and eventually there will be someone else on to talk to.

I talk to myself a lot on the SSB birds, not a lot of folks on them. Thats why I work the two remaining FM birds, they are always busy.

Well, just got off of a VO-52 pass this morning and ended up talking to myself again. Station is working FB, just no one else around. Guess not too many people want to invest in the mode when they can work the FM satellites with a hand held and an Arrow antenna. I'll keep trying.

Well, just got off of a VO-52 pass this morning and ended up talking to myself again. Station is working FB, just no one else around. Guess not too many people want to invest in the mode when they can work the FM satellites with a hand held and an Arrow antenna. I'll keep trying.

Lets see I managed to work AO-7, VO-52 and just worked FO-29 with some DX stations as well. I have to head out to work in an hour so I am done for the day. Keep at it and tune around on the bird I worked at least one station on all of those passes..

Why is it that people don't like the FM? I'm pretty new to satellites so I don't really understand why so many people don't like.

Why is it that people don't like the FM? I'm pretty new to satellites so I don't really understand why so many people don't like.

There is only 1 FM bird left operational, its not that people dont like it, its just too busy and there is only one left. It was alot different when AO-51 was still operational.

ANTENNAS

I use a simple vertical on 2 meters using my ft857d, agw, uiss program and my signal link, hear them and work them on packet..a lot of fun.
DOCTOR

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.